At what point will feel good after being at the Gym?

Options
Okay, so I've only just started out on the Gym journey, I've been about five times.

I go on the treadmill, and the elliptical trainer, and am gradually working up to longer times on each.

But, when I leave the gym, i'm not feeling that good feeling from working out.

When does it actually kick in?

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Options
    When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine. Mine hits about 30 min in depending on what excercise I'm doing
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    There is a good feeling? lol. It's exercise, find something you like doing and do it.
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    when your muscles are sore. Good day at the gym.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I feel good afterwards as long as I was there about 30 minutes at a higher intensity. Then the endorphins make me feel awesome as I head home. Love it. I don't feel bad necessarily if I don't hit this, but I usually do. I love the exhaustion and the tiredness in my muscles.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cardio always makes me feel tired, drained and glad I got it over with (and I've been doing it for years). Doing strength training and hitting new PRs (reps or weight, or both) leaves me walking out of the gym like I'm the baddest mofo on the planet.

Try different things, see what you enjoy.
  • mrslosser
    mrslosser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For me I started feeling good after about 2 weeks. When I noticed how quickly my body was responding to the exercise, how it felt to go farther each time and faster. It feels great to push yourself just that little bit extra when working out and leave feeling accomplished. Also, you will notice you will have more energy and be in a better mood after about 2 weeks too. At least I did. Keep it up! :happy: You will get there!
  • saralee61386
    saralee61386 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been walking on my treadmill for the past 4 weeks or so. I don't necessarily feel "good" when I'm walking. It's more when I'm driving to work after walking. I feel refreshed and awake! Also, if I start picturing what I want to be and look like while I'm walking, it helps a lot also! Good luck!!
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you have to reach a certain point to get the 'feeling'...lol...For, the harder I workout, the better I feel and it starts about 30 to 30 mins into the workout...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If I do more than 15 minutes cardio at the gym I feel miserable.,15 minutes cardio followed by a good weight workout and I feel great!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If I've been away from exercise (conferences, weeks where I'm overscheduled), then it generally takes 3 days to feel good. The trick is to push enough that you get the endorphins and increased bloodflow happening, but not overwork yourself to the point that you want to end it all now. When I was new to exercise, it took about a month for me to find that balance and build up enough strength and endurance for it to not be crazy difficult.

Hang in there - at any day now, you'll get the feeling of awesomeness, and you will want that feeling again.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i dont know
    i exercise at home
    i feel good about working out but i s tarte d in jan
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising for about 2 months now and I am feeling really good. My mood really elevates afterwards and I feel peppy and energetic. I am at that point that I don't think I could NOT exercise. Hang in there, it will get easier and you will feel a world of difference.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My 1st few weeks at the gym just felt like I was going to die. Once I got past that I worked up to staying at least an hour every time I go. I do some weight training and cardio and feel really good when I walk out the door now!
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I find things like elliptical trainers and treadmills boring. I am currently doing 4 classes a week - Zumba, ShBam, BodyCombat - and what makes me feel good is the music and getting the moves right. Maybe the exercise you are doing isn't inherently enjoyable for you so you don't get the feel good feel.

Maybe try listening to your favourite music while you are working out, or give yourself a goal each workout so you can feel good that you achieved something each time.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It depends. Everyone's "runner's high" is different. Mine takes longer to attain now that I have been training for over a year. I know I have hit it when I am smiling and sweaty :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    5 minutes in, even if I didn't feel like doing the work out in the beginning...
  • ksdental04
    ksdental04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Took me about a month of 4 days a week treadmill. Don't give up!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I always find the treadmill boring unless I have someone to talk to. Music does not do it and neither does watching the tv at the gym. However, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Try shaking it up, do 10-15 mins then go lift weights. Come back to the cardio machine after weights if you feel the need. for a bit more.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I always feel good when I leave the gym, and I can't really remember a time when I didn't...it's possible though that it's because I treat myself to a hydromassage after my workout every day. Who can feel bad after a massage?
  • Mistykcmo
    Mistykcmo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been walking on my treadmill for the past 4 weeks or so. I don't necessarily feel "good" when I'm walking. It's more when I'm driving to work after walking. I feel refreshed and awake! Also, if I start picturing what I want to be and look like while I'm walking, it helps a lot also! Good luck!!

This is exactly what its like for me, as well. I also subscribe to several motivational fitness accounts on twitter. One mantra I found and when it starts to hurt, I repeat to myself was "Sweat is your fat crying". I've never been one to subscribe to the corn factor, but it helps me along. I know I am doing something good. When it starts to hurt - I know its going to feel that much better on the way home. The burn reminds me my muscles did their duty and will be stronger for it....and how killer I will look in that dress I can't wait to wear!