Question about Cardio

Options
I saw an article and the gist of it was that you really can't loose weight by doing cardio because something about Hypothyroidism. Your body stops producing something and then slows your metabolism to really nothing. I do a lot of cardio and have lost weight. I have not yet implemented strength training. I am planning on for the month of may to start strength training. I do a lot of fitness classes that use weights and lunges and such at least once a week. Can someone explain this to me. Like dumb it down for me so I can understand all of this. Thanks in advance.

Here is the Link:

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

Replies

• Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you've been losing weight with no MAJOR problems... I'd say you have nothing to worry about. There are many other symptoms of thyroid problems, not just difficulties losing/gaining weight.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Post a link to the article and you'll get some sincere input. "Something about hypothyroidism" is too vague and is missing any context. Nothing can be examined in a vacuum; to the exclusion of everything else.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I saw an article and the gist of it was that you really can't loose weight by doing cardio because something about Hypothyroidism. Your body stops producing something and then slows your metabolism to really nothing. I do a lot of cardio and have lost weight. I have not yet implemented strength training. I am planning on for the month of may to start strength training. I do a lot of fitness classes that use weights and lunges and such at least once a week. Can someone explain this to me. Like dumb it down for me so I can understand all of this. Thanks in advance.

I would not worry about what some article says. Just because something gets published, doesn't it make it true. There are a lot of contradictory information out there. What I know is that people that lose a lot of weight exercise and include plenty of cardio in there. Besides, the bottom line is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    thanks, I posted the link where I was reading it from.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    cardio burns lots of calories and u can lose weight
    thats why are exercise category is cardio
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If someone has that condition it would make it very difficult for them to lose weight. However if you've been losing weight via cardio and healthy eating then I would say not to worry about it.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you have hypothyroidism? If not then this doesn't even apply to you.
  • Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do you have hypothyroidism? If not then this doesn't even apply to you.

No I do not. I just thought it pertained to every woman. I just wanted clarification from you fitness experts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Here is the Link:

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

Ignore it. That's as simple an explanation as I can give.

And stop going to sites named "dangerously hardcore".

Nothing good will come out of it.