50 Year Old Woman With a New Outlook on Fitness

Options
I had always been very fortunate, for most of my life, to not have any issues with excess weight. It was not until my 40's that I started to see a transition in my body type. Now, I am 50 and weigh at least 18 pounds more than I have for most of my adult life. In my 30's I spent a lot of time in the gym doing resistance training and cardio classes. In my 40's I transitioned into yoga, primarily ashtanga. During my pursuance of yoga, I always felt a longing to resume resistance training but, as many of my teachers told me, I would gain muscle through yoga.

I turned 50 four months ago and decided to get back into the gym! I've been doing resistance training with bars and plates and circuit training 3 times a week. I have a goal to lose 10 pounds but, more importantly, I want to transition my fat into muscle.
Like many women my age, my mid section is my problem area.

My diet is vegetarian and I do my very best to keep my calories down. Myfitnesspal has helped me to see what my problem foods are, mostly sugars. I like sweets in the afternnoon and early evening.

I'm looking forward to reclaiming a slimmer physique and gaining valuable muscle. My biggest challenge is finding the time to get to the gym. I'm self employed and work long hours, every day of the week. I also find that I get tired and lack motivation to go to the gym in the evening. My mornings are my best friend so I try to maximize the energy that I have earlier in the day by planning my workouts at that time.

After close to 15 years of no weight training, I'm feeling the aches. My body doesn't bounce back the way it used to. I'm careful not to overextend and injure myself.

I'm yet to find a cardio routine that feels good to me. I'm currently jogging a bit and doing the eliptical in the gym but neither feels uplifting. I'm thinking that Zumba or a dance class would be better suited to me. I'm on a mission to get that into my life.

What little socializing I'm able to do, given my work constraints, I have traded for workouts. I'd much rather hit the gym that sit and drink wine at a restaurant.

I've succeeded in so many things in my life through perseverence and sheer determination. I am approaching my fitness plan in the same manner. I plan to come out a winner! I want to feel good and look great!

None of my friends are interested in fitness. I'd like to meet some other like minded people through the MyfitnessPal community.

We can do it!

Replies

• mzootie
    mzootie Posts: 133
    Options
    friend me if you like always looking for friends :)
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 52 years old and I understand that getting to the gym, after working all day is hard. I ran for about 15 years, and then started weight training. In last 5 years I started adding Yoga to my training. Running was wonderful, but my back started to really hurt. I now do spinning classes for my Cardio. Yoga has helped me with flexibility and balance, something that really, started to go down hill. Finding a balance and trying to eat clean, is a challenge for me! I do love my sugar. When I tell myself I am tired, I just do it anyway. Even if it is 30 minutes. Good Luck on your journey.
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am a 50 year old mom of 3. Friend me if you would like. My profile will tell you a bit about me.
  • swyman1
    swyman1 Posts: 38
    Options
    I am 52 years old and I understand that getting to the gym, after working all day is hard. I ran for about 15 years, and then started weight training. In last 5 years I started adding Yoga to my training. Running was wonderful, but my back started to really hurt. I now do spinning classes for my Cardio. Yoga has helped me with flexibility and balance, something that really, started to go down hill. Finding a balance and trying to eat clean, is a challenge for me! I do love my sugar. When I tell myself I am tired, I just do it anyway. Even if it is 30 minutes. Good Luck on your journey.

Thank you! I am also 52. There are 52 members in this group. Are you joining us?