Anyone with a B12 deficiency?

Options
So on and off I've been getting these burn-feeling patches on the side of my tongue so I looked it up online to see if I could self diagnose it (I know this isn't a great idea lol). Most of the info I could find was related to B12 deficiency and I noticed I consistently had a few other symptoms that lined up with it.

Anyone else confirm that they have this? I know I can buy B12 supplements - do any of you take these?

Replies

• emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oral B12 supplements are generally not well absorbed. It would be much better to talk to your doctor about getting monthly B12 injections. They are well worth the pinch :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, not so sure about the patches you are talking about but will agree with emmerrs, talk to doc about injections. Really not a big deal to do, and I have found it has helped with more than one of my issues.
  • MamaTop
    MamaTop Posts: 24
    Options
    I had an extremely low B 12 level as well as Vitamin D when I asked my doctor to check my blood levels .. but aside from being tired all the time I had no other symptoms.

I go in once a week for a quick B 12 shot and that's it! Its not covered by my insurance but its just $6.00 which is cheaper then over the counter vitamins and like someone else said, absorbed into the body better.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    So on and off I've been getting these burn-feeling patches on the side of my tongue so I looked it up online to see if I could self diagnose it (I know this isn't a great idea lol). Most of the info I could find was related to B12 deficiency and I noticed I consistently had a few other symptoms that lined up with it.

Anyone else confirm that they have this? I know I can buy B12 supplements - do any of you take these?

it's better to see a doctor. Many moons ago, when I was in college, I developed burning patches on my tongue and was convinced I had mouth cancer and would have to undergo disfiguring surgery, all because I was too stupid to stop smoking.... I even looked up my symptoms in a big medical symptom book. When I finally broke down and went to the doctor, he said it was a common infection.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    are you vegan?
  • nmensen18
    nmensen18 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I think I will go ahead and make an appointment. I'm always tired, no matter how much coffee I drink and these burning patches on the side of my tongue can hurt! - even worse if I eat something acidic or spicy.

Nope not vegan btw.