Knee pain

Options
I have recently started exercising. I work out 2-3 times a week for an hour. I work out in group weight lifting classes at the Y. I also really like Zumba. I started at 162 and weigh 154 now having started at the beginning of March. So not too bad, slow and steady. The problem I have is that my knees kill me after some work outs. I know that my form is good ex knee not extending over toe during squats.

But I am over weight and I think that my weight is really bad for my joint. I went to the dr and had x-rays and he said it is just arthritis and to loose weight.

How can I loose weight without pummeling my knee. If my form is good do I just keep at it or should I try to just walk until I can get off twenty pounds and then try weights again?

I really hate most forms of cardio and love lifting weights and feel like if I add muscle I will loose weight better/faster.

Any ideas for people who have lost weight and have knee issues..BTW I am only 5ft so 154 is alot for my frame. I was always a very skinny child and competed in dance growing up so it is only has an adult that I become overweight.

Replies

• dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    Bike riding and try the water classes at the Y. No have arthritis in both knees ad I LOVE 'y water classes at the Y. Just came he from aqua Zumba. Great work OT.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A nice combination of cardio + weights is good. Any type of calorie deficit you're in is going to be your key to losing the weight, don't forget. Cardio is nice for the calorie burn if you want to pair it with a calorie deficit or for those days you've gone over your calorie limit, but it's pretty much just room for either eating more or correcting any overeating.

Weights will help you to maintain LBM if you do decide to pair it with cardio and need the calorie deficit. As for your knee pain, is it pretty random after workouts or do you recognize a pattern with certain exercises i.e. lunges, jumping/jarring motions, etc? If so, see if there's an alternative to that move that is a little more forgiving for your knees. Good luck!
  • aturbon
    aturbon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new here and just starting, but I know all about knee pain and arthritis. dnunny had a great suggestion with bicycling - same as my orthopedic surgeon's suggestion to me after he told me that surgery probably would not fix my problem but exercise helps.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    maybe its time for some new trainers?
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about knee pain and zumba. It seems like you really need the proper footwear for all the twists and turns or you risk injuring your knees. If you are just using plain runners you might be sticking to the floor too much while twisting your knees. Just something you might want to look into.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Swimming is no impact. I would get a second opinion... you aren't so heavy that it should be causing significant amounts of joint pain. Losing weight will help with everything, but there may be something wrong there.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Treading water 20 minutes in a COLD swimming pool the morning after a hard workout is good for removing soreness. A cold jaccuzi might work as well or a swim in the Pacific Ocean. The key is cold.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I was hurting last night after working out but I am fine this morning. I think I am going to try more of the water aerobic classes offered at the Y and one Zumba instructor mentioned putting duck tape on my shoes to help with turns and sticking to the floor.

One thing I think I will do is move closer to the mirror during class just to be able to watch my knees better too.