Question for Paleo's:

Options
Do you actually buy organic meat??

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    They should be hunting their meat with rocks and spears. But they don't.

They wouldn't have enough time and energy to hunt all the animals they need to eat eggs, bison, and chicken for 3 square meals each day.

Paleo is more like Faleo.
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

I'm not technically 100% Paleo but I'm pretty close (by coincidence, not design). I don't buy organic meat all the time. I prefer to buy 100% grassfed beef, natural chicken, non-GMO, etc. Locally grown is best if it is available. Meat from grainfed aminals makes my body ache. I avoid them as much as possible.

The organic label has become a questionable one with lots of loopholes (nod to big business farmers & the gv't) so items labled certified organic are not always the great, healthy products we'd expect them to be.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    if you can't afford grassfed just buy traditional and take the fat off (lean cuts of meats, take the skin off the chicken...) and supplement with healthy fats like coconut or olive oil. a lot of the time if you shop around you can find grassfed beef or chicken for a reasonable price, and if its a whole chicken you can use the bones to make broth so nothing goes to waste :)
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I dont do 100% paleo...i would say im a modified paleo..lol.i enjoy a lot of their recipes...most of the dinners i cook are paleo though...i dont buy the organic meats...i just cut the bad stuff off...it really just depends on your preference..
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have a question too. Do you eat fruit?
  • jb6968
    jb6968 Posts: 10
    Options
    if you can't afford grassfed just buy traditional and take the fat off (lean cuts of meats, take the skin off the chicken...) and supplement with healthy fats like coconut or olive oil. a lot of the time if you shop around you can find grassfed beef or chicken for a reasonable price, and if its a whole chicken you can use the bones to make broth so nothing goes to waste :)

Can you elaborate a little bit? What does taking the fat off do? This is the first time I've heard such a statement.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not paleo but have read a lot about it and you can eat fruit on paleo
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate a little bit? What does taking the fat off do? This is the first time I've heard such a statement.
    Taking the fat off makes it dry and tough. The fat is where the flavor is. Don't be afraid of animal fat. It's not bad for you. And putting extra salt on the fatty part of your steak before you grill it makes for a total mouthgasm when you eat that salty salty grilled fat..... mmmmmmmmm

tumblr_mgfrg6ZoB11rmf842o1_500.gif
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

what does the fat have to do with anything? organic doesn't mean it's fat free, it has to do with how the animal was raised, what it was fed, etc.

I'm not paleo but I usually try to buy grass fed or organic when I can find it.
    I get my eggs from a local farmer, I think they taste better than eggs from the supermarket.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I buy grass-fed, pastured meat, if that's what you're asking...
  • mrswho76
    mrswho76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I believe it's because more toxins/bad stuff is stored in the fat/skin/bones. So, it's recommended to buy the leanest cuts of traditional meat to avoid them but if it's grass-fed, pastured meat then buy whatever you please. it's not the fat people are avoiding, but the hormones and things that are injected into many traditionally raised animals.

Not paleo, just done quite a bit of reading.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I believe it's because more toxins/bad stuff is stored in the fat/skin/bones. So, it's recommended to buy the leanest cuts of traditional meat to avoid them but if it's grass-fed, pastured meat then buy whatever you please. it's not the fat people are avoiding, but the hormones and things that are injected into many traditionally raised animals.

totally off base. the bones/fat/skin contain some of the BEST nutrients. that's why i make broth with bones and carcasses.

chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain, can be found for free in bone broth
  • CoachReddy
    Options

why wouldn't we? yes you can eat fruit.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I buy organic when i can afford it and free-range/British Food Standard approved the rest of the time. I don't cut the fat off anything.

And... the Faleo comment? Grow up.

PrimalGirl
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't because I am poor. If I could afford it, hell yes, and then I would also make more stocks and broths. There is less benefit to making that stuff if you are using stuff with inappropriate ratios. I also eat lots of fruit.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

why wouldn't we? yes you can eat fruit.

Wow, yes, fruit is awesome and nutritious.

Oragnic when possible, grass-fed usually, sometimes it's whatever is on sale.
  • mrswho76
    mrswho76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

totally off base. the bones/fat/skin contain some of the BEST nutrients. that's why i make broth with bones and carcasses.

chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain, can be found for free in bone broth

I was only speaking to the fats/bones/skins of traditional meat vs grass fed, pastured meat. What I read on Mark's Daily Apple said that if you have to buy traditional meat, go for leaner cuts but the fats and bones are quite healthy in grass fed, pastured meats so getting a lean cut of meat is not important.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I was only speaking to the fats/bones/skins of traditional meat vs grass fed, pastured meat. What I read on Mark's Daily Apple said that if you have to buy traditional meat, go for leaner cuts but the fats and bones are quite healthy in grass fed, pastured meats so getting a lean cut of meat is not important.

ahhh fair enough. sorry for the confusion. guess that makes sense.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options

You must have a big ****ing pot to make pasture cow carcass broth. And a hyooge stove. Or do you cook it on a fire in your paleo cave? Yeah, that must be it.