Hardwood vs. tile floors in the kitchen??

Options
myohana4
myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
Ok everyone. I need your help!

We are going to remodel our kitchen and I am torn on what kind of flooring to put down. I currently have tiled floor and I do think it is really easy to clean. But, I do love the look of hardwood floors. Just wondering if it will be a pain to keep clean with kids and a dog. Will the floors be trashed from everyday living??

Any advice is really appreciated!!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They do have ceramic tiles that look like wood.

I have wood floors throughout my entire house and tiled my bathrooms and kitchen. My dog tore up my old wood floor, and my cats scratch my wood floors now (not declawed). I have to sweet up hair and dry dust my floors every couple days.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Our new place has dark wood and they are a PAIN in the butt!! Tile, IMHO!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Hardwood

I do like how it floor ads show up on my computer in this thread
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm all for tile! I had hardwood floors in my kitchen in my last house, they were hard to take care of and were damaged easily if something was dropped. for me tile is less maintenance and less worry.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We have hard wood in the kitchen no big UNLESS you drop a can on it and dent it. >( I have actually had both and they both have their ups and downs. Good Luck
  • myohana4
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help! We did have hardwood in our last house in the foyer. I do remember all of the scratches and dents from everyday living.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used Bamboo in my Kitchen I love it! I remodeled about a year ago and it still looks like new!

33vdkkh.jpg
  • myohana4
    Options
    I used Bamboo in my Kitchen I love it! I remodeled about a year ago and it still looks like new!

33vdkkh.jpg

Beautiful! I love your kitchen! You don't have problems with dents and scratches. It is so interesting that I posted this same question on my facebook page and everyone but one person said wood floors. I definitely can see both sides on this which makes my decision even harder. Really appreciate everyone's input!!!
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No dents, bamboo is harder than most wood but the finish will scratch. We use felt pads under all the appliances and chairs.
  • myohana4
    Options
    Hardwood

I do like how it floor ads show up on my computer in this thread

I am getting those same ads now, too!
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Tile has always felt and looked cold to me. I would personally put a hardwood in, but not a dark hardwood because it shows dirt way too easily. I like medium tones with contrast.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you have dogs and or Kids go Ceramic or Laminate, hardwood takes a beating
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the floor I love!!!

33vdkkh.jpg
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Remember that water is the nemesis of wood floors. In the kitchen you spill things, dishwashers leak, the ice maker springs a leak. I'd never put wood floors in a kitchen (had them once, ruined within a few years and replaced with tile!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    hardwood :-)
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Be careful with hardwood -- they're not all made to tolerate the moisture found in the kitchen!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have cherry hardwood.. it matches the cabinets. Granite counter tops, stainless appliances, and a custom tile/marble back splash. I love my kitchen!
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Remember that water is the nemesis of wood floors. In the kitchen you spill things, dishwashers leak, the ice maker springs a leak. I'd never put wood floors in a kitchen (had them once, ruined within a few years and replaced with tile!
    ^^^^^^^^^
    This!!!
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm getting ready to get my kitchen remodeled. I'm leaning toward laminate tile, but I can't make up my mind between the darker tile or the lighter version that that looks more like travertine.
  • Glassgal01
    Glassgal01 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We have Laminate flooring (Looks like Hardwood) in the Dining room and Living room and I really do like it. I have to dry sweep the floors a couple times a week and wet mop once a week to clean up the dog hair and dust We have dogs, 2 corgis so when they walk on the floor their nails on their little paws make noise,LOL. It took a bit of time to get use to hearing their nails on the floor :)