Is it ok to eat under 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• swtpotatolove
    Options

Low calorie and healthy are not the same thing. Not all healthy foods are low calorie. Not all low calorie foods are healthy. The human body needs protein and fats to function properly. There's no way those two needs are being met on a 700-800 calorie per day diet.
    [/quote]

^this. You don't necessarily have to eat "diet" foods to loose weight. I watch protein and fiber more than anything else and it all falls into place. Eat your meat, potatoes, pasta, and of course plenty of fruits and veggies. You'll fill up 1200 in no time. And you don't need to eat junk to do so, either.
    [/quote]

I absolutely agree with you. Yeah I don't think I am getting all the nutrients with only 700 - 800 calories. I have been eating healthier... but not enough. I don't know .. sometimes I feel that it's hard to feel 1200 calories, and other days I can fill up 1200 calories no time.. and sometimes I get hungry again. And so, I just wanted to ask myfitnesspal community.. what I should do.. :)

My one friend eats every few hrs.. and she manage to lose the fat percentage. Oh and yes, I've decided to leave junk food for awhile... (can't say forever yet.. since I so love animal style in n out cheeseburger still) haha

Thanks for the helpful post.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I just had this discussion with some friends on my group.

Just recently I ate for 6 days ate between 977-1230. I was eating lots of fruits/vegetables just not enough protein and carbs. Didn't lose anything and stayed there for awhile with small amounts of exercise.

A week later tried to follow MFP eating between 1190 -1456 and slight more exercise. I lost a pound after 2 weeks of nothing.

Agreed, every now and then low days yes because that's life. You fall asleep early or don't feel good. I always find myself starving the next day with non-stop eating patterns.

Love the suggestions on here for extra snacks....almonds, avacodos, fruit with peanut butter, etc to bump it up to 1200.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm having deja vu....
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    not unless u are under 120 pounds. NO

umm what? :huh:

I'm 132 pounds so what your saying is once i hit 120 i can eat 700-800 cals a day and its ok? Some how i do not think so!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If somehow all of these foods were injected with like super vitamins maybe... like a hippie vegan body builder chicken.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    You didn't get 30lbs over weight by eating under 1,200 calories... So what's the problem?

::indifferent: always my thought!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    If somehow all of these foods were injected with like super vitamins maybe... like a hippie vegan body builder chicken.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sammythorpe
    Options
    Hi OP - don't stress overly much. I had stomach surgery and my surgeon actually told me to keep my calorie intake at the 700 to 1000 calorie mark. I think it matters more if you have any issues with the levels in your bloods. You just need to watch that.

I have been researching the 5 and 2 diet recently which is more of a lifestyle diet which encourages two days a week at 600 calories.

Your body should tell you what your needs are, but from my own reasearch don't excercise as hard on the days you eat low calories. It leads to issues. Have you thought about taking multi-vitamins too? They might help when it comes to vitimin issues.

Hope your journey ends well.
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    No. Eat.

this^
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Hi OP - don't stress overly much. I had stomach surgery and my surgeon actually told me to keep my calorie intake at the 700 to 1000 calorie mark. I think it matters more if you have any issues with the levels in your bloods. You just need to watch that.

That's a completely different ball game, UNLESS she has been told to by a doctor for medical reasons i wouldn't suggest it.
  • vegasjamie
    Options
    My TDEE is 3000 calories. There is no way in HELL I am eating 3000 calories. I do not believe the TDEE/BMR is accurate.

Seriously, if I could have 3000 calories a day and lose weight, I would be munching on Doritos Locos Tacos all day.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    My TDEE is 3000 calories. There is no way in HELL I am eating 3000 calories. I do not believe the TDEE/BMR is accurate.

Seriously, if I could have 3000 calories a day and lose weight, I would be munching on Doritos Locos Tacos all day.

you must have a miss understanding for the term, 20% below TDEE to loose i think is correct..i could be wrong though :indifferent:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

you must have a miss understanding for the term, 20% below TDEE to loose i think is correct..i could be wrong though :indifferent:

your correct
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

My TDEE is right around 3000 (originally I used the calculator, but now that I have plenty of data I use the previous month's calorie intake and loss to calculate it more precisely). I average around 2250 calories a day and have an average loss of 1.5 pounds a week.

I do have fast food once a week, but 2250 calories isn't nearly as filling as you would think when you make it up with tacos.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    No.

Absolutely Not.

Under normal circumstances uh uh.

Generally speaking H to the ELL no.

Don't do it.

Are you getting my drift?

Unless you have a metabolic disorder and are under supervision of a doctor, you absolutely, positively should NOT eat 1200 calories or fewer.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Short answer for the OP: No.

Longer answer for the OP: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had hard time consuming 1200 calories in a day?

If we did, why would we be on a website trying to lose weight?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

best point you've ever made.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • cscali33
    cscali33 Posts: 1
    Options
    Uhhhh anyone having a hard time ONLY consuming 1200?! My gummy vitamins alone are 15 calories and I always seem to go over no matter what kinda quinoa whole grain egg white god forsaken rabbit food I eat and I jog 3 miles a day bloody hell I am starving!!!!! Ok I'm done good luck everyone