Has anyone tried Sensa?

Options
2»

Replies

• stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Fads don't provide lasting results. Go at it the other way, eat better be active, you'll be better for doing it.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    A friend tried Sensa for about a year. I think she dropped 5 lbs and about $300 (or more). In my opinion, it was a waste of money.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A student of mine tried it. She would be sitting there shaking her Sensa on each Dorito before she ate it. It didn't seem to work for her, but she said it worked for her mom.

I wonder if it's a behavioral thing. You have to shake the product on every single bite, right? So wouldn't that cause you to be more aware of each time you're raising your fork to your lips? Would you get tired of doing that and stop eating sooner? Maybe I'm misinformed...
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ty for the replies! I was not going to try or buy it but wondered why the commmercials are still on air if it did NOT work. I don't have a problem with my appetite for the most part, so this would be no real benefit to me. I'm all for the natural ways of changing your diet.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ty for the replies! I was not going to try or buy it but wondered why the commmercials are still on air if it did NOT work. I don't have a problem with my appetite for the most part, so this would be no real benefit to me. I'm all for the natural ways of changing your diet.

Because there are enough people who think it will be a miracle and waste their money on it. It doesn't matter if it works. It just matters if it is profitable.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Noooo... Eat right and exercise and you won't need to waste your money on magic fairy dust.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Is Sensa a scam?

Have you heard about the new weight loss powder that is becoming a big hit on the internet? It’s a white powder that you can sprinkle in your food to support weight loss. The claim is that the white powder will curb your desire to eat through sensory signals.

My first impression. Their website looks very professional, with lots of testimonials, a doctor advocate, and some celebrity endorsements. When I first looked at the product I was careful. It seemed too good to be true. I had to take a moment think clearly about this new product.

Here is what is suspicious:

1. Their billing system: They tell you it’s a free trial kit. You can’t find the real price anywhere. I had to give up my address and phone number just to get to the page where they have this message.

You have a full 30 days to try your Sensa 2-Month Starter Kit. If you enjoy Sensa, do nothing. You’ll be billed one low payment of $89.95 on 11/1/2009. That’s a 23% SAVINGS off the retail price.

Plus, you’ll enjoy free enrollment in our Sensa AutoShip Delivery Service. You will automatically receive a fresh supply every 2 months so you never run out of Tastants. Plus you will lock in the low price of only $89.95 every 60 days, billed to your credit card, plus free shipping and handling. You save 23% on every shipment! If for any reason during the 30-day trial period you are dissatisfied with your Sensa 2-Month Starter Kit, simply return the products. Cancel at any time with no obligation.

CA, UT & CO residents will be charged sales tax at time of purchase. Customer is responsible for return postage. Questions? Contact a Sensa Customer Care Representative toll-free at (866) 514-2554

Hmmm… $89.95 for small powder packages. Plus they automatically sign you up to buy more every 60 days. And if you don’t like the stuff, you pay for the return. These are red flags.

2. Their Research:

(Updated – 6/14/2010) Sensa has finally posted links to their research. They call upon Dr. Hirsch’s study called “Weight Reduction Through Inhalation of Odorants.” His study found some correlation between odorants and weight loss.

His sujects had an inhaler to administer the smells. Unlike the small packs they sell, his subjects often used the inhaler up to 288 times a day. Also, the study states that the smells only worked for people that had specific traits:
    1. a great sense of smell (identified the apple odorant in the Chicago Smell Test)
    2. only ate 2-4 times a day,
    3.felt bad about overeating but not about themselves

Also, there were other correlations with the weight loss like frame-size, spending time with others, and eating certain foods (chocolate, apples and mints).

At the end of the study the doctor states that their may be some benefit to smells if coupled with a nutrition and exercise program.

Considering the importance of weight loss, this was a very small study. The product has few tests, and no other scientists have attempted to repeat the study to make sure it works. There is money to be made and I am afraid a product is being marketed on hype rather than science.

Another strong argument against using Sensa is that the study was only conducted for 6 months. I would question if the human body would become sensitized to these smells. Before you spend money on this, try a nutrition and exercise program like the doctor suggests. I bet you will get similar results without the smells and high costs.

See the study here: http://www.aromapatch.com/Hirsch_Weight_Loss_Smell.pdf

3. What others are saying: I went to RipOffReport.com to see what others were saying. People did not seem happy with their marketing practices. There were some complaints about not getting a refund. This is a bad sign.

(added 2/10/2010 - Look at the comments below, we’ve had a big response about Sensa and you can see some of it right here.)

4. What have experts said? (added 9/4/2010)

I found it very humorous that Sensa boasted that they were listed on webMD in their TV commercial. If someone actually did their homework and read the webMD article they would see that it was negative towards Sensa. I guess Sensa didn’t expect us to be smart enough to even evaluate their sources.

WebMD points out that the study was not conducted as a Clinical Trial which is the gold standard for studies. WebMD also points out that Sensa has never been validated, nor published in a peer-reviewed medical journal. Their doctor, Pamela Peeke, MD said,

“[Sensa] is not a magic bullet. There is no magic sprinkle. This isn’t even a diet,” … “It oversimplifies the complex physiology and psychology associated with appetite.” She also points out that there is nothing unique about the list of ingredients in the tastants.

So will it really work? I doubt it. I imagine that in the beginning you might feel fuller and less hungry. But over time your body will just get used to the new smells and tastes. Honestly, this is not a good way to lose weight. Take the $89.95 (every 60 days) and buy a gym membership, Wii Fit, or more nutritious foods.

Is it long term? The main reason to avoid Sensa is because it is NOT a long term solution. You do not want to buy their product for the rest of your life to stay slim.

To learn more about safe weight loss principles visit Stop Dieting and Live
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    No Magic Bullets Here

It’s nearly impossible to judge the effectiveness of a weigh loss product by the reviews alone simply because of the subjective natural of it. I mean there’s just no way of knowing if the user followed usage directions or how they ate and exercised while they were using it. I don’t see a lot of people singing the praises of this stuff though. At least not ones that appear to be legit.

Effectiveness aside, you need to be aware of the amazing number of people complaining about billing problems. They seem to be trying to pull some kind of re-billing scam and hitting people for a double shot of $89 after they sign up for the free trial.

Also, a lot of SENSA review sites are littered with comments about return issues. People are saying that when they try to return it, they are asked to return the unopened trial pack which of course they opened in order to try it. They are then subsequently being hit for the $89 at least once and sometimes twice. Just search Google for “SENSA complaints” and you’ll see what I mean.

Furthermore, it appears that Dr. Hirsch is being less than honest (big dink) about his clinical studies. ABC reported back in 2008 that the Endocrine Society, which Hirsh says reviewed and approved of his work, said they merely invited him to present his findings for debate. And they were “surprised and troubled by the promotional nature of his presentation.”

Apparently Dr. Hirsch has been pushing this stuff since 2004 when it went by the name “Sprinkle Thin”. He must’ve went and found a marketing company to get a less stupid sounding name and repackaged with a nice “clinically proven” B.S. bow on top. Ohhhh, these guys are soooo sneaky…

The main reason I felt compelled to write this SENSA review is that this product is more dangerous than the usual ripoffs. You see, right there in the commercial for this magic fairy dust, they state that you don’t have to change your eating or exercise habits. You know that was designed to play on peoples emotions. They’re telling you that what you are eating is okay and if you are obese, I’m sorry, but it’s not okay. The marketing for it is actually promoting counterproductive and even destructive behaviors!

I don’t normally like to write about products I haven’t tried myself, but with this one I had to. The negative feedback on this demonic dandruff is just too overwhelming and you should avoid it like the plague. If you do decide (possibly in a drunken stuper) that you simply must try this stuff for yourself, please please please proceed with caution and a credit card with ironclad consumer protection!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I use it literally in slang:

I'm lookin' good sensa started hittin' dem weights!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iduno2much
    Options
    I tried it. I actually gained weight. It made me NOT want to eat and my body went into starvation mode. I believe it is for people who eat to much. People that eat to little might gain. My father lost weight. He ate all the time.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've used it, and it's basically MSG, making your food more flavorful, and thus satisfying you faster with less food. The real problem is that I forget to use it.

It doesn't actually do anything to make you lose weight, except tricking your brain into thinking you've eaten more than you have.

My dad uses it, and has lost about 15 pounds.
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Even though I have very little faith in SENSA, I started the program yesterday. If nothing else, it's a psychological support. It's a little bit for me like:
    I feel hungry, but I sprinkled SENSA, so it must be something else. It's just my imagination that I am hungry again"
    I usually stay around 1200-1400cals per day, but as I said, maybe it can be a psychological support.

I'd also like to add this program Dr. Oz had about SENSA. It's ironic and tragic how desperate Dr. Kirch sounds about proving to Dr. Oz that it's not fake. Also, it's just something about the way Dr. Kirch is talking that makes you see how fake it really is.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-oz-alert-sensa-sensation-or-senseless

But I must also add that it does Not change the taste of the food. In my case after this first day, it's just a small reminder that I just ate so I can't possibly want that sandwhich, maybe a snack, but not a whole meal.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the fairy dust and learn how to eat properly. Less junk, more veggies, god fats and lean proteins.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I use it literally in slang:

I'm lookin' good sensa started hittin' dem weights!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh: