Law Student getting back into the swing

Options
Hey all!

I am currently a law student, which makes it a bit harder to get to the gym and eat right. Unfortunately, I have gained 15 pounds since starting law school :noway: !

I am hoping to get some control over the food I eat and make time to hit the gym.

Some of my daily goals are to get a sufficient caloric intake with fiber rich and low fat foods, and try to get to the gym for at least 1 hour 4-6 days a week. Both of which are going to be difficult for me with my crazy busy schedule. But, I know that is no excuse for being unhealthy.

Personal goals: 1) Run a 5k, 2) subsequently, run a 10k, then, hopefully a marathon, 3) increase in muscle strength, and 4) tone my body.

Replies

• flyingwilbur
    Options
    Good luck! When all else fails, stick with the exercise. It helps with the stress - and I've heard it's good for your memory, too. AND it gets you some time away from all the other crazy stressed out Whatever-Ls.

Alcohol contributed significantly to my weight gain in law school. Still trying to knock some of that back off.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I'm 5 years in to working as a Lawyer and the client functions and long hours make it hard to get rid of those pounds I started gaining in law school.

There should be a "fat lawyers unite" support group lol!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Don't worry just get a job at a huge corporate firm and u won't have time to eat too much ;) Happened to me but then I went in-house and getting home at 6 makes it easy to overindulge lol
    But seriously I got in great shape in law school. I did my studying but made time for the gym and I made huge salads for dinner. You can do it!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started law school at 160 and second semester 2nd year, I was over 200. Freshman 40 for sure.

At that point, I bought a treadmill and started watching what I was eating. Summer between 2nd and 3rd year I worked out of state so I joined the a gym so I could continue to exercise. Graduated law school at around 155 and in the best shape of my life.

Then I started practicing law... 10 years later I got to 225. :-(

Now I am down 30 lbs but have several more to go.

You can do it in school but have to really make the time to do it. Plus your third year will be easier and you will have the time. Second year is the worst but you can make it happen. Just focus on year and watch the drinking and you will do it.