At what point will feel good after being at the Gym?

Options

Replies

• Mistykcmo
    Mistykcmo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you pushing yourself? Start out slow, but get your heart pumping. I started back at the gym on February 12th after being away for 2 years. At first it was a chore. I walked for 30 minutes - so boring. Then pushed myself to 45. One day I found the motivation - or maybe I was pissed off at being so out of shape, that I pushed myself up to an hour. When you want to quit, thats when you make yourself go that extra minute or 5 or whatever you feel comfortable. Get out of your comfort zone. Once you accomplish something you didnt think you could, you will feel GOOD about that! Also, like someone else mentioned, find something you like to do. At first the Elliptical and EFX machine were very difficult to maintain for 15 minutes, let alone 30. Now I do an hour on which ever is available when I get to 24 hour after work. On the weekend I do an hour on one and then another hour on the treadmill. My payoff are the muscles I am developing in my legs from all of this. Keep your eye on the goal and best of luck to you.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    for me it was when I stopped caring about anybody else, just got angry and moved some weight - vibed with the music and found out that our bodies are a lot stronger then we think - and ive been hooked since then

seriously tho - not trying to sound like a douche, but thats when it all clicked for me (probably about the second or third month of lifting)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    when your muscles are sore. Good day at the gym.
    What does being sore have to do with having a good day at the gym, unless your goal is to be sore? It's not a reliable indicator of "good work done" or anything, so why would you want soreness?
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've only just started out on the Gym journey, I've been about five times.

I go on the treadmill, and the elliptical trainer, and am gradually working up to longer times on each.

But, when I leave the gym, i'm not feeling that good feeling from working out.

When does it actually kick in?

Youre not reaching the endorphin zone. You might need to up your intensity.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cardio always makes me feel tired, drained and glad I got it over with (and I've been doing it for years). Doing strength training and hitting new PRs (reps or weight, or both) leaves me walking out of the gym like I'm the baddest mofo on the planet.

Try different things, see what you enjoy.

This.

Treadmills and cardio and strength machines bore me and make me feel tired and bleh.

The barbell makes me feel like the Hulk. It actually fells like I'm accomplishing something. Infinitely better feeling.
  • t3chl3ts
    t3chl3ts Posts: 6
    Options
    I'll be honest with you - I hate exercise for exercise's sake. I never feel good at the gym (I've never hit that "endorphin" thing either). However, I ALWAYS feel good when I see the results - the muscles getting more defined and the added strength my body has. I'm also very proud when it's over that I actually did it again. If working out at the gym isn't for you, then try dance classes, racquetball, or some other form of activity that you like, that makes it 1000 times easier.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've only just started out on the Gym journey, I've been about five times.

I go on the treadmill, and the elliptical trainer, and am gradually working up to longer times on each.

But, when I leave the gym, i'm not feeling that good feeling from working out.

When does it actually kick in?

Youre not reaching the endorphin zone. You might need to up your intensity.

this ^^
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It took 6 weeks when I saw major results, losing inches and getting stronger. But 8 months before I could honestly say that I love to exercise and I miss it if I don't do it.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It can take longer for some people if you arent used to going and your fitness is poor. Alot of people can feel horrible after working out which does make them not continue on just be paitent you will soon reap the benefits :O)
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I always thought that "you feel good after a workout" was all BS. But i'm a convert. After I work out i feel like crackhead with a shopping cart filled up with copper!
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For me I started feeling good after about 2 weeks. When I noticed how quickly my body was responding to the exercise, how it felt to go farther each time and faster. It feels great to push yourself just that little bit extra when working out and leave feeling accomplished. Also, you will notice you will have more energy and be in a better mood after about 2 weeks too. At least I did. Keep it up! :happy: You will get there!

Me too, 2 weeks is the magic number. I just got back from the gym and now I feel amazing, I feel like I can do anything and I'm about 2 1/2 weeks going to the gym.
  • riverboat2001
    riverboat2001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys, so many helpful replies,

So i think I need to give it a bit more time, (as in weeks), and a bit more time (as in minutes) LOL

Well, I'm a big girl, with a dodgy back, but I'll stick at it. I'm also very lucky that my Hubby has taken the plunge with me.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I still don't feel good. Would much rather do anything than exercise. It's a necessary evil for me. I'm 82 pounds lighter because of it. That's my driving force. I want to keep my fat *kitten* a memory.
  • Lchittakhone
    Lchittakhone Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising! But on my run days when I beat my time from before or I am able to go another 1/2 mile longer I am happy. More importantly to me is how crappy I feel when I don't do something. (lazy and guilty)
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily a fan of the treadmill or elliptical (usually an hour of cardio 5-6 times a week), but I do feel better when I've done yoga or pilates.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I felt good that it's not another day that I went to bed thinking, "Well, I didn't work out again today either." Getting rid of guilt is a good feeling. Go with that until results start killing in to propel you forward.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I got it yesterday about 40 minutes in to my workout which was a 60 minute one and unfortunately it from 7-11 so I really struggled falling asleep :P I tend to find the sweet point if I work out for 2 hours I get the happy feeling but Im so tired I can fall asleep at 10.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I'm another one who finds the treadmill / cross trainer a bit dull and I never get a buzz from. I feel like I'm watching a 20min run just clock down and it takes forever.. Whereas my Muay Thai class is an hour and feels like it is over in minutes, has me dripping with sweat and I get the must go back feeling as well as a buzz from it.
  • xvegivorex
    Options
    once the pain and stiffness in my arthritis subsides i'd say after minute 6-10, and then i know i can do at LEAST 20 minutes, if not 30 of solid cardio stationary biking, maybe not break a sweat but at least with no joint pain. baby steps lol.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I get an awesome boost within about 10 minutes of activity. I get a full on high when I run long distance.

I recently read something that talked about how a certain percentage of people have a genetic trait that makes them exercise averse. They don't ever feel that glow and instead generally feel miserable working out. I feel kinda sorry for those people, since exercise is one of the great joys of my life.

I'm not saying that's the OP, though. A lot of people who aren't used to working out find it to be a real pain in the butt at first, but over time they find they start to enjoy it. I think the key to sticking with it is finding an activity you enjoy.