breastfeeding

ttabangel
ttabangel Posts: 57 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Just curious can you get more calories for Breastfeeding? I didnt know how to figure it in. Right know i am only getting 1300 calories and its not enough. But trying to figure how much more to figure in. Thank you

Replies

• Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    most of what I have read it takes about 300-500 calories to keep your milk supply going if you have an established supply. I would call your midwife/OB and find out what they recommend for nursing moms to keep milk going and lose weight.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    If you search for "breastfeeding" in the food database, you'll find entries with negative calories/fat grams. So, I'm guessing you do get more calories for breastfeeding. :) Why the hell not?
  • FreeKatrina
    FreeKatrina Posts: 16 Member
    What stage of BF are you at?
    If the LO is older 8-12mo+ I say around 2-300cals, if younger 300-600cals!! HTH
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    When I was on weight watchers, you had to have 10 more points per day which averaged out to 500 calories. So I would say to up it to at least that just to keep up your supply!
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    You need to eat at min 1600 cal to keep your milk up. When caia was only breastfeeding I ate around 2000 calories and yes I was still losing weight. And when I add the stage 1 foods I went down to 1800 and at stage 2 I ate 1700 to 1600 and now that she is only breastfeeding 4 times a day I am just eating 1500 to 1600. Hope this helps. I also work out to and eat back some of my workout calories.
  • ttabangel
    ttabangel Posts: 57 Member
    aww thank you so much.. :) He is actually 2 and half but breastmilk is his full nutrition for know. I am going to add 300 to 500 and see if it helps..
This discussion has been closed.