Vitamin B6/Vitabin B 12 Injections?

Options
Here's some quick background on my journey--
2007 - weighed 125, normal for 5'4" height.
May 2009: gained 25 lbs, diagnosed with hypothyroidism, placed on meds.
June 2009: got pregnant, at the time was 150 lbs.
March 2012: 2 years after my daughter was born, was stuck at 150. Started MFP/running, lost 10 lbs, lost focus, gained 11lbs.
March 2013: Started seeing a nutritionist; got back on the horse.
Today: Lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks through diet and exercise. Now at a normal weight for my height with a high end of normal BMI (24.8). My end goal is to get back to 125.

My doctor noted today that I seem to be capable of losing weight. However, due to my underactive thyroid and thus-underactive metabolism, she suggested that I think about vitamin b6/12 shots to help lose weight. But...since I can lose weight on my own when I really focus...should I even be considering these shots?

Thanks for your input and any stories you can share of your experiences with these shots!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Here's some quick background on my journey--
    2007 - weighed 125, normal for 5'4" height.
    May 2009: gained 25 lbs, diagnosed with hypothyroidism, placed on meds.
    June 2009: got pregnant, at the time was 150 lbs.
    March 2012: 2 years after my daughter was born, was stuck at 150. Started MFP/running, lost 10 lbs, lost focus, gained 11lbs.
    March 2013: Started seeing a nutritionist; got back on the horse.
    Today: Lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks through diet and exercise. Now at a normal weight for my height with a high end of normal BMI (24.8). My end goal is to get back to 125.

My doctor noted today that I seem to be capable of losing weight. However, due to my underactive thyroid and thus-underactive metabolism, she suggested that I think about vitamin b6/12 shots to help lose weight. But...since I can lose weight on my own when I really focus...should I even be considering these shots?

Thanks for your input and any stories you can share of your experiences with these shots!

I feel like you already know the answer here...
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I feel like you already know the answer here...

I'd like to hear other people's experiences/stories so I can have some perspective before making a decision.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor explain why you would benefit from the vitamins?
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor explain why you would benefit from the vitamins?

Yes- she said it would assist my slower-than-normal metabolism (which is slow because of my hypothyroid) and help me have more energy, and that some people experienced better weight loss results with it than just regular diet and exercise.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I take B12 injections and have for 10 years now due to a medical problem causing me not to retain any B12 through stomach absorbtion. I have not experienced any weight loss in the 10 years only weight gain. While low/non-existant B12 levels can cause extreme exhaustion I wouldn't suggest taking the shots to try and lose weight when you can clearly do that on your own.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I take B12 injections and have for 10 years now due to a medical problem causing me not to retain any B12 through stomach absorbtion. I have not experienced any weight loss in the 10 years only weight gain. While low/non-existant B12 levels can cause extreme exhaustion I wouldn't suggest taking the shots to try and lose weight when you can clearly do that on your own.

I too have to take B12 shots. again, I have not noticed any weight loss associated with them.Low energy without yes ( among other issues..lol) but just taking the shot doesnot cause me to lose wieght , thats why I'm on MFP in the first place
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Have you done a candida test? It does effect the thyroid.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    B12 does not affect weight but it is important for older women with anemia. It can also help some people with increasing their energy.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My dietician recommended them for me while I was on a low-calorie diet for 6 weeks. I didn't notice any changes in either my energy level or weight loss while receiving the injections so I quit taking them. It's actually pretty easy to get lots of B vitamins through your food choices, which is usually the preferred way to get essential nutrients anyway.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have HypoThyroidism as well. I don't do shots but I absolutely take a B100 Complex (Timed Released) and 5000mg of B12. They both support oxygen flow in the blood which helps with the tiredness/exhaustion of the disorder. I also take A, C, D, E, Selenium and Zinc (that one is just to boost Immunity...nothing to do with Thyroid).

Try the B in pill form (you can do B12 Sublingual which is a quicker absorption) and see if it helps. I don't necessarily believe it helps with "weight loss" and I don't use them for that....but I sure believe it helps with my energy and overall better health.

Good luck!!!
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I kept thinking about this post as I was working out and I don't think you will notice a change in energy. If your level is already normal,its not going to have a 'crack' effect and make you super energized. People who's body doesn't regulate and they lack the Bs will feel an 'energy boost' but that is because they're used to being sluggish/tired and they are really just going back to a normal level, KWIM?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you're on meds for your thyroid you don't need additional supps to help with that. Have you checked your levels lately? Maybe you need a dose change. Also, look up vit B neurotoxicity.
  • shortybel
    shortybel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is also known as Dr. Bernstein diet!! it works too!
  • Grasshopper3n3
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but here is what I know from my own issues dealing with what you're asking.
    First, I too am hypothyroid. I'm also B12 deficient because my body won't store this, so I have to take injections. Guess what? Even when my labs came back at high normal levels of B12, I didn't feel any more energetic or focused and it certainly didn't boost any weight loss... especially the weight I'd gained from both my hypothyroid or my pregnancies. B vitamins do play an important role in our metabolism, so the doc is right to look there, but I'd suggest something else before paying for expensive injections (unless you give to yourself, which is much cheaper). I mentioned I have to have B12 injections because I'm deficient. Being deficient can cause irreversible neurological damage if not treated. Well, over a year ago, I started drinking something I buy at Costco (and Sam's club), called Zipfizz. It comes in various flavors and its a nutrient packed tube of powder you add to water and costs just under a buck a tube. Well, much to my doctors shock and mine, the B12 in Zipfizz made my levels of B12 shoot through the roof. Apparently, unlike other B12 supplements, this one is very much absorbable and bioavailable. In the 13yrs I've had to take shots, I've never had a lab come back with such a high count (1500). My body doesn't store B12, so this level was from drinking Zipfizz once a day and taking my shot once monthly. Where I'm going with this is, I'm still unfocused (Hello Hypothyroid symptom!!) and still struggle to lose weight (again, hello hypothyroidism symptom - has your doc checked TSH, T3 & T4 levels or just TSH, which isn't always correct) and yet, I have very high levels of B12. Zipfizz has both B6 and B12. Worth a try if he's suggesting those. I like the grape flavor, or the fruit punch you can buy online at costco.com (the actual website zipfizz.com is more expensive than Costco or Sams). Oh, but before you begin raising your levels, have that doctor check those levels - you might be on the low side and that would be worth finding out. Personally, I think Vitamin D and Omega 3's play a much more important role in helping one focus, and American's tend to be woefully deficient in both - especially Vitamin D (which sunblock isn't helping). Good luck!