Almost blacking out wile squating

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
I'm relatively new to heavy lifting, except for bench, but that's a different story. So I don't really know everything yet.
Like the title said. I was doing a personal best today at 3 sets of 5 reps at 390lbs. During the second set I got really light headed and felt like I was blacking out for a moment, but then it passed and everything else was fine.
I always concentrate on my breathing. Is this normal, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Was it simply too heavy? I've honestly never had this happen, but it happened more than once I would probably get checked out by a doctor to make sure everything was OK.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Maybe up and down too fast, or the bar was pinching something. Or like the previous poster, it was just too heavy.

If nothing else, talk to a dr just for peace of mind
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, you're new to lifting but you're squatting 390x5?

Regardless, make sure you're drawing air into your belly, not your chest when you set up for each rep. Drawing it into your chest can make you pass out easily. I've almost passed out from doing just one rep of 135lb deadlifts (which isn't even warmup weight) before I realized what was wrong and corrected it.
  • billsica
    Options
    I think it was the right weight. I have been working up to it, and honestly I feel that I can still increase.
    It only happened once. . That's a good idea, if it happens again a dr visit may be in order.

Bar pinching something sounds reasonable.
  • billsica
    Options

I've been lifting since January, my squats just have improved a lot. So I'd consider myself new still.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    if its not the weight being too much and your sure your breathing correctly i would say it might be some sort of circulation problem. i would bring this up to your doc next time you go just to be safe
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    might be where you are resting the bar on your shoulders. i feel lightheaded if it presses against certain areas.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I've been lifting since January, my squats just have improved a lot. So I'd consider myself new still.

Okay, apparently I need to get my crap together. Been lifting for a year and I can only do 200x5. Edit: of that year, only the past 3 months squatting properly with a barbell. But still. 390x5 is insane in that amount of time.
  • billsica
    Options

Okay, apparently I need to get my crap together. Been lifting for a year and I can only do 200x5.

I've been running for 3 years and I was a swimmer back in my youth. I think my legs have always just been large. my upper body is lacking, my bench /deads/ OHP are all way way less.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    squatting, lifting, bearing down, etc. can cause pressure on you vagus nerve, which can in turn effect your heart rate, causing dizziness and fainting. there are many activities that can cause this, be careful, maybe squat and rise a little slower, make sure your hydrated, and pay attention to your body. have you ever noticed, when having a sports physical done, many times, the dr will have you squat and rise, while listening to your heart. i dont think its something to be over concerned with, but do be careful.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Okay, apparently I need to get my crap together. Been lifting for a year and I can only do 200x5.

I've been running for 3 years and I was a swimmer back in my youth. I think my legs have always just been large. my upper body is lacking, my bench /deads/ OHP are all way way less.

That's fascinating, what's your bench/dead/OHP? Just curious.
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Are you this guy's brother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8RcDb_wZfQ
  • billsica
    Options
    squatting can cause pressure on you vagus nerve, which can in turn effect your heart rate, causing dizziness and fainting. there are many activities that can cause this, be careful, maybe squat and rise a little slower, make sure your hydrated, and pay attention to your body. have you ever noticed, when having a sports physical done, many time, the dr will have you squat and rise, while listening to your heart. i dont think its something to be over concerned with, but do be careful.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll have to work on my rise. I'm also doing the high position of the bar, I don't know how to do the low position. .. er, I never had them check my anything wile squatting. That must be for girls, the Dr just grabs my boys and tells me to cough.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    squatting can cause pressure on you vagus nerve, which can in turn effect your heart rate, causing dizziness and fainting. there are many activities that can cause this, be careful, maybe squat and rise a little slower, make sure your hydrated, and pay attention to your body. have you ever noticed, when having a sports physical done, many time, the dr will have you squat and rise, while listening to your heart. i dont think its something to be over concerned with, but do be careful.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll have to work on my rise. I'm also doing the high position of the bar, I don't know how to do the low position. .. er, I never had them check my anything wile squatting. That must be for girls, the Dr just grabs my boys and tells me to cough.

the dr checks all my kids squat and rise heart rate for sports, for my daughters and my son. my son has a heart problem, so, my dr has given me a thourough run down on the vagus nerve, because my son is extra extra sensitive to fainting. have you ever been on the toilot and felt dizzy or like you were going to faint after bearing down? thats your vagus nerve, runs through your entire torso, and is repsonsible for alot of unexplained dizzy spells and even fainting!

the vagus nerve is a cranial nerve, which pretty much governs your heart rate. you can even control it at times, by pinching the bridge of your nose between your eyes, which will slow your heart rate. people do this when they are stressed as a natural reaction to stress, not even realising why they are doing it; which is lowering their heart rate to relax! crazy huh!
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    It almost happened to me the first time I tried to get 405 up deadlifting...
  • billsica
    Options
    Bench 185
    Dead Lift 250
    OHP 100
    Pendly row 150
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Look up Valsalva maneuver in lifting. Also high intensity lifting does raise your blood pressure quite high while doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    bump for OP
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Bench 185
    Dead Lift 250
    OHP 100
    Pendly row 150

You are a t-rex. Awesome.

Anyway, it happens. Keep an eye on it.
    Have you greyed out yet doing deadlifts?
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to heavy lifting, except for bench, but that's a different story. So I don't really know everything yet.
    Like the title said. I was doing a personal best today at 3 sets of 5 reps at 390lbs. During the second set I got really light headed and felt like I was blacking out for a moment, but then it passed and everything else was fine.
    I always concentrate on my breathing. Is this normal, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

Try using a weight that allows your knees to bend during the squat. Drop the ego lifting and settle for reality and you should be fine.