Strength training 4 women, some basics

Options
I'm sticking to giving out my "self righteous" workouts :laugh: :tongue: Of course modify the exercises to suit your fitness level, be sure though to stick to it, "it" meaning any workout program you choose to follow, you won't see results if you give up after a couple of sessions.

I think it’s important to have variation in your programs so that your workout keeps you interested. Monotony ain't fun. So mix it up, and be playful with your workouts. If it isn't fun, you just won't stick to it. These 3 workouts for free-weights, bodyweight exercises, and kettlebells will give you the variation to build strength. This gives it versatility to be done wherever and works your whole body.

Basic free weight workout, but with dumbbells/barbell or modify...water bottles, broom stick with water jugs on the end.
Mon.
Barbell Squat
Dumbbell Bench Press
Bent over Dumbbell Row
Chin-up

Wed
Barbell squat
Dumbbell shoulder press
barbell deadlift
pull up

Friday
barbell squat
dumbbell bench press
bent over dumbbell row
chin-up

Womens strength training should make you balance, work both sides of your body independently, and hit those places where you are weakest.

Bodyweight exercise wrokout
Mon.
Pistols (1 leg squats)
Plyometric Pushups
Chin-ups
Crunches/planks

Wed
jump squats
plyometric pushups
pull-ups
crunches/v-ups

Fri
Pistols (1 leg squats)
plyometric pushups
chin-ups
crunches, ball

A bodyweight exercise program can be almost as good as one with free weights. You can do these workouts almost anywhere and develop a lot of strength since they are very intense. The plyometric pushups are (pushups where you push yourself into the air) can be particularly brutal. Perform the exercises at the most intense level you can. Safely, of course:happy:

Kettlebell workout
Mon. ..
Kettlebell Swings
Kettlebell Press
Kettlebell Turkish Get-up

wed
kettlebell swings
kettlebell clean
kettlebell turkish get-up

Fri
kettlebell swings
kettlebell press
kettlebell turkish get-up

Kettlebells are an awesome way to get in shape. They require that you balance as well as manipulate a lot of weight in new ways. Also, the swings are excellent for endurance work if you don’t have the equipment or space to go running. They will work your legs like few things can and put much less strain on the knees than running. I think everyone should own a kettlebell, it's truly money well spent!

As always, use good technique when you work out. Weight lifting doesn’t cause injuries, people who are stupid enough to workout with bad technique and too much weight cause injuries.Which has been me in the past, so take advantage of my aches and pains. Go slow and steady. When you start one of these strength training workouts have guidelines for when to increase weight. When your program becomes something you can do easily, make it more intense. Otherwise you aren’t building more strength. Jotting down your numbers in a little notebook is a huge help!

EDIT!!! for some reason my nice and neat little columns for Mon, Wed, and Fri didn't turn out!! GRRRR, and now it won't let me fix it!!!!! OK I think I fixed it!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    As always, thank you thank you!:flowerforyou:
    You ARE appreciated!!:heart:
    Becca
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Becca
    I try! thanks :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Becca
    I try! thanks :drinker:
    Thanks for the water too!:laugh:
  • Ms172u
    Ms172u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    first and foremost, let me thank you for your suggestions... I have also been doing the commercial workouts you posted up a week or so ago, and it's awesome.

but I do have a question if you dont mind...
    For someone like me with knee issues, is there any substitutions for the squats or anything on here that will be applying too much pressure on my knee??

I thank you
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Sooooo nice to see this post :bigsmile:

Thank you!!!!!!!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    first and foremost, let me thank you for your suggestions... I have also been doing the commercial workouts you posted up a week or so ago, and it's awesome.

but I do have a question if you dont mind...
    For someone like me with knee issues, is there any substitutions for the squats or anything on here that will be applying too much pressure on my knee??

I thank you

Hey, I don't know what issue you have with your knees...but here are some suggestions to help guide you, this is right off of our work website that we print off and give to clients that need to modify or strengthen their knees. Believe it or not, squats done properly can actually strengthen and help the knees out!

First, if you feel any pain anywhere, whether you're doing squats or other exercises, you should never work through it. Sharp pain could indicate an injury or strain, so always stop what you're doing and check with your doctor, if the pain doesn't go away. Also, if you have a diagnosed knee injury or strain, squats may not be right for you.

But, if you have healthy knees and are avoiding squats because you don't want injuries, you might change your mind when you learn that squats can actually strengthen the knees, if you do them correctly. Squats can also strengthen the hips, knees and ankles while targeting almost all of the muscles in the lower body, which is one reason we love them so much.

If you don't have any chronic knee or joint problems but still feel pain when you do squats, you do have some options.

1. Check Your Form
    It's often bad form that causes knee pain during squats. One reason is squatting with the knees too far forward. It should be the glutes taking the brunt of your weight, not your knees, so make sure the knees stay behind the toes. Also, keep your knees in alignment with the toes. Twisting them in or out could place unnecessary stress on the joints. Want more details? Check out these step by step instructions:

1.Stand with feet about hip or shoulder-width apart, toes at a natural angle forward or slightly out.
    2.If you're using weights, hold dumbbells at your sides or rest a barbell on the shoulders. If you're a beginner, you may want to start with no weights and take the arms out, as shown, for balance.
    3.Bend the knees and squat, pushing your rear out as though you're about to sit in a chair. Your knees should stay behind the toes.
    4.As you're squatting, keep the knees going in the same direction as the toes and avoid arching or rounding the back. Instead, keep a neutral spine and pelvis.
    5.Squat as low as you can or until the thighs are parallel to the floor. Some advanced exercisers or athletes may be able to do full squats, but parallel squats are usually recommended for the average exerciser.
    6.At the bottom of the movement, make sure your feet are flat on the floor, your knees are still in line with and behind the toes and that you aren't arching the back.
    7.Push back up, concentrating on squeezing the glutes as you stand.
    Practice your form and spend some time going through the motion to get a feel for your own strength and flexibility. Go slowly to keep the knees straight and see if that makes a difference in any knee pain you've been feeling. It not, you can try one of the other options below.

2. Try a Modification
    If regular squats still bother you, even with good form, another option is to try a modification. You can change your stance, type of resistance, how you hold your weights, how low you squat and even how much support you have.

Wall Slides
    You can use a wall to help support your back while you slide into a squat position. Make sure the knees stay behind the toes and only slide down as far as you comfortably can.

Chair Squats
    Use a chair as a guide for your body to follow and to provide support at the bottom of the movement. You can even (briefly) sit down each time to take the pressure off the knees if needed.

Ball Squats
    Like wall slides, a ball can provide support for your back, helping keep your knees from going too far forward. Just make sure you walk the feet out enough that the knees stay behind the toes.

Quarter Squats
    Sometimes, just shortening your range of motion and only squatting down a few inches can help protect the knees.

Squats with a Ball Between the Knees
    Many people find it easier to keep the knees in alignment by squeezing a ball between the knees. This will also involve more inner thigh.

Squats with a resistance band
    If your knees tend to fold inward, tying a band around the knees and pushing against the resistance may help.

One-Legged Squats
    Because your range of motion is naturally shorter in one-legged squats, you may be able to do these without knee pain. For this move, you only squat a few inches and you still need to push the rear backward to keep the knee from going over the toes.

Plie Squats
    Changing your stance can also make a difference. For these, you take the feet very wide, angling the toes out. As you squat, the knees should follow the same line as the toes.

3. Try a Substitute

If squats just aren't going to do it for you, there are some exercises you can try that will target the same muscles, but in a different way.
    Lunges
    Lunges are one option if squats tend to hurt your knees, but they're challenging and can also cause knee problems if you don't use good form. Take the feet far enough apart that when you lunge down, the front knee stays behind the toe, just like a squat.

Ball Leg Press
    This move is like a supported squat, so there's less body weight to tweak the knees. This is a good choice if you can't do standing squats, but you may need to hold weights to make these challenging enough.

Leg Press Resistance Bands
    This move actually mimics a leg press, which is an exercise similar to a squat. This is a great choice if weight bearing exercises won't work for you.

Step Ups
    Like lunges, step ups are tough but, because the movement is different from traditional squats, your knees may find them more comfortable.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Bump....this is great! Been looking to start strength training and really don't know where to begin! Thanks!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Dang! I go away for just a bit and this thread just keeps getting better and better!!!

Perfect layout when you edited, thanks for taking time for that!

Also thanks for the modifications, I'll think on those if I need them.

Beccaparty0002.gif
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Bump :glasses:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Got it! Thank YOU! das
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
    Bump :) Thanks!!
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    woohoo, another page to print out for my work out notebook!! You rock!!!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    bump!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ooh - sounds good! I just started doing kettlebell workouts 3x a week, only for 30 mins at a time but you really do work your butt off!
  • SarahEllis28
    Options
    Thanks! Couple of questions...

1. I have kettlebells in my gym but haven't used them because I have no idea how. Is there a link with info on exercises for kettlebells or can you describe the three you listed?

2. Pistols. I think I'm doing those, don't know their name. I put the back of one foot up against a wall and lunge forward with the other. Than I hold it for as long as I can. Do these sound like pistols?
  • cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    Bump!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Options
    bump!