Dumbbell multi sets question.......

Options
Hello,

I have been doing some weight exercises using 2x 3kg dumbbells and now want to get a bit more focused,

I have done a search for this but cant seem to find an answer,

Say I have 5 different dumbbell exercises, should I do three sets of one, then move to the next exercise, OHP to Chest press for example, Or should I do a 'circuit' set of all my exercises and then start again

i have been doing C25k also, so my plan is 10 mins bike to warm up, weight routine, then a c25k session.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Get adjustable weight dumb bells rather than separate ones.
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Get adjustable weight dumb bells rather than separate ones.

Thats not what I am asking......

I am using free weights in the gym.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the program New Rules of Lifting for Women which gives compound movements over a 6 month program to gain strength, really loving it so far!
  • KevinMassine
    Options
    Bump
  • HollyWalle
    HollyWalle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have been doing some weight exercises using 2x 3kg dumbbells and now want to get a bit more focused,

I have done a search for this but cant seem to find an answer,

Say I have 5 different dumbbell exercises, should I do three sets of one, then move to the next exercise, OHP to Chest press for example, Or should I do a 'circuit' set of all my exercises and then start again

i have been doing C25k also, so my plan is 10 mins bike to warm up, weight routine, then a c25k session.

Thanks in advance!

depends on the exercise, but you should be doing three sets of one. then move on to the next exercise. ...if your doing a super-set, its different. try bodybuilding.com all the answers about weight lifting are on that website.
  • SynapseAP
    SynapseAP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If I read your question right you want to do a "circuit" of exercises, then repeat that "circuit" of exercises again. At least that's what I do. If you do one exercise, then try and do it again right away you are effectively just doing more reps in that exercise.

You are trying to go to "fatigue" in one exercise set, then switch to the other exercises in your "circuit", and come back to that exercise in ten minutes or so once you've run through the rest of your "circuit" for the next set.

That being said I'm sure there are other methods. I tried doing the "one hundred pushups" app challenge once and that was just repeating pushups over and over again after different intervals of rest.

I would suggest throwing in some stretching to your plan as part of your warmup/cooldown. Good luck!
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How about try this.

Do 3 sets of one exercise and move on to the next. Do this for 5 weeks. Then the next 5 weeks do them in circuits?

I"d recommend stretching for 8minutes before and after the weights. If you don't stretch you will get stiff and tighter.

Also after about 2-3months don't be scared to use a heavier weight and do less reps per set if your form is okay. Women are often scared of using heavier weights and there is nothing to be afraid of if your form is okay.

Koing