Wondering why I'm bothering...

Options

Replies

• casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Be patient. It took me one year to lose all this weight, but it was worth it. It feels awesome to finally be the thin one that can look good in almost anything. Just hang in there and be optimistic because it will change your life for the better.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    These people have no reading comprehension. You said two weeks, not one, and they're all blathering about "one pound per week is healthy!" And then dumping their toxic anger on you for no reason, when all you need is a little support.

All I can say is muscle weighs more than fat. I hate hearing it too. Get a scale that monitors body fat. That might be decreasing.

Also, try to keep measureing and exercising like you have been (making sure you're eating enough!!!!) and wait another month to weigh yourself.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    These people have no reading comprehension. You said two weeks, not one, and they're all blathering about "one pound per week is healthy!" And then dumping their toxic anger on you for no reason, when all you need is a little support.

All I can say is muscle weighs more than fat. I hate hearing it too. Get a scale that monitors body fat. That might be decreasing.

Also, try to keep measureing and exercising like you have been (making sure you're eating enough!!!!) and wait another month to weigh yourself.

Two weeks is still a small sample size to come to a conclusion that the weight is never going to come off. Look at her diary and take into account a lot of missing detail to help put OP on the right path.

While some of the people responding are a bit douchey in their responses, they are right about the fact that weight loss isn't an overnight process.
  • Ashleigh0124
    Options
    Go find a pound of something - it's a decent amount of weight to lose. It helps to visualise. The way I look at it is: What I have been doing hasn't been working for me, so I'm going to give something else a good try and see if that works better. Don't beat yourself up because you haven't lost as much as you'd like right away. You just have to try and stay positive and stick with it. Use MFP to your advantage as well - find supportive and nice people to keep you motivated and help you out. You'll be fine :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

All I can say is muscle weighs more than fat.

oh dear....
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    After two weeks of weighing and measuring everything I eat, sticking to my calories and exercising like a demon I have lost the grand total of 1lb and that was in my first week!

Sorry to whinge but really can't see the point of this now...
    You've lost weight yet can't see the point of it? Seems like you really don't want to lose weight.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Your weight will go up and down. A pound lost a week is the healthy way to loose it and you are more likely to keep it off. They say it takes four weeks before you will see something different about yourself. i would also go more by body messurements then the scale. If fat becomes muscle you will weigh more but be smaller. But I don't know how active you were before you joined MFP but I wouldn't give up.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

oh dear....

That's what I thought.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

oh dear....

That's what I thought.

Me too. Um, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, weirdly enough lol. Takes up less space though! Although in 2 weeks you're hardly going to build up much muscle!

Exercising hard can make you retain water though while your muscles repair.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fat_zps43662758.jpg

Yay! Finally got the pic to work...I hope this gives you some perspective, 1lb is a great loss.
    If you manage to consistently lose 1lb each week, you will be 24lb lighter by October and 32lb by Christmas - that's a LOT of weight! Have patience, or you will never succeed.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We all feel like that at some point in our weight loss journey. Truth is, it is a long and difficult process; if it wasn't then obesity wouldn't be an epidemic. I'm a very impatient person, and it's taken me a long while to accept that i'm not going to lose pounds overnight. A pound lost is better than a pound gained. Listen to the majority of people and their advice here as it is all pretty sound, and don't give up!

I'm afraid we're a very practical bunch. We aren't going to pat you on the head and tell you how special you are, and how sorry we are that you feel this way. There's a lot of 'tough love' around here, but it does the job, Good luck :)
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

So you're telling me a 1lb of fat weighs less than a 1lb of muscle???

If you meant to say muscle is leaner, takes up less space than fat so you can build more muscle in the space that equals what would have been originally taken up by fat THEN you would be right.

Without seeing your diary i can't give a valid opinion but i bet you're eating 1300 or less calories as MFP 'told you'

Read up on this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

In the space of a month i've dropped 14 lbs of FAT not weight and my strength/ lean muscle mass has gone up!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

oh dear....

That's what I thought.

Me too. Um, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, weirdly enough lol. Takes up less space though! Although in 2 weeks you're hardly going to build up much muscle!

Exercising hard can make you retain water though while your muscles repair.

Yup.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

Love it! So true.
  • Sarahrahi
    Sarahrahi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hang in there...its really all a matter of consistency....and your workout should make u superbly uncomfortable at the end....only then would you have burnt calories. Its different for everyone of course....so lose instantly others not so quickly. My philosophy is if you just stick to it and stop peering over the weighing scale every few days it will come off...and you won't be demotivated in the meantime. Good luck!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If that's your opinion/outlook then don't bother. You aren't going to magically lose 10lbs in 2 weeks.
  • tammysoulful
    tammysoulful Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I understand, TRUST ME. It's discouraging but this isn't going to happen over night. Learning patience has always been my stumbling block and the reason why I always failed in the past. The result? I'm a good 80lbs overweight, I dug myself a NASTY hole and seeing that everyone else is now getting it together and losing it made me depressed for quite a long time. But then I realized sitting on my *kitten* and hoping for a miracle wasn't going to change anything either. I've been sticking to just learning and making an effort for the last month. I'll be doing my first real weigh on the 30th of this month.

You get discouraged, you feel like SCREW IT! But listen, your weight can kill you. This is what I keep telling myself. I'm tired of killing myself. I have to keep making lifestyle changes and the rest will do itself. One day at a time. No miracles. Keep trying and switching up until I find things I like and work for me. Please do the same for you.

And in the meantime, CHANGE YOUR OUTLOOK and seek POSITIVE reinforcement...whether it be from loved ones or complete strangers.

All the best to you!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    After two weeks of weighing and measuring everything I eat, sticking to my calories and exercising like a demon I have lost the grand total of 1lb and that was in my first week!

Sorry to whinge but really can't see the point of this now...

ah well... stay fat and unhealthy then!

^This^
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I understand, TRUST ME. It's discouraging but this isn't going to happen over night. Learning patience has always been my stumbling block and the reason why I always failed in the past. The result? I'm a good 80lbs overweight, I dug myself a NASTY hole and seeing that everyone else is now getting it together and losing it made me depressed for quite a long time. But then I realized sitting on my *kitten* and hoping for a miracle wasn't going to change anything either. I've been sticking to just learning and making an effort for the last month. I'll be doing my first real weigh on the 30th of this month.

You get discouraged, you feel like SCREW IT! But listen, your weight can kill you. This is what I keep telling myself. I'm tired of killing myself. I have to keep making lifestyle changes and the rest will do itself. One day at a time. No miracles. Keep trying and switching up until I find things I like and work for me. Please do the same for you.

And in the meantime, CHANGE YOUR OUTLOOK and seek POSITIVE reinforcement...whether it be from loved ones or complete strangers.

All the best to you!

Such a good post. :)
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1 pound is a good amount for a week heck ive been on my diet for near 2 years .. mentally you have to be in the right place or you wont be able to loose the weight you need to realise you will have ups and down weeks where your weight stays the same and weeks where you have a big drop i was stuck at 16 stone for a month and 14 stone for a month .. now im 13.8 if i gave up every time i didnt loose at the end of the week id still be a big fatty who couldnt run after her son and thought she was dieing after 10 mins walking .. hope you stick to it maybe do some research and set realistic goals so you dont give up when you dont loose a stone next week x