bike tells me one thing and the app tells me another

Options
Hey guys looking for abit of advice, ive been exercising for an a hour a night my exercise bike tells me that i have burnt 280 calories but the same work out on my fitness pal is 550 which one do you guys think i should log?? thanks for the help guys

Replies

• casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I think we should both buy a HRM.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Always go with the lower figure; it's always better to under estimate than over estimate.

MFP is 'very generous' with its calorie burn figures as a rule!

Perhaps a HRM would help?
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM, It's the best thing i've ever done, MFP was estimating a 45 min spin class as 540 calories for me where infact i do about 750cals on average. and up to over 950 cals in 60 mins (compared to their 690 cals)
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Neither. Just find a good daily calorie goal and stick to it.
  • marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble with a pedometer - I've been trying to walk as much as possible as I haven't been able to do gym stuff due to a broken arm (roll on mid May, when I should be able to get back to the gym)..... the pedometer registers a lower calorie count than MFP ...

PS - any HRM recommendations?
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Get a good model HRM which gives you calorie burn.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Had the same problems, got a HRM and love it. I usually do not eat my exercise calories back, but I still like to log them on here. I personally use the Polar FT4 which is a nice HRM, easy to use and most important has a chest strap, which you need for more accuracy. I think you can get them for around $89(USD) on line.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike a lot, and I always go with the lower number. MFP gives way too many calories for the bike ride. :noway:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Always go with the lower figure; it's always better to under estimate than over estimate.

MFP is 'very generous' with its calorie burn figures as a rule!

Perhaps a HRM would help?

^^^ This
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    PS - any HRM recommendations?

I have a Polar FT60 as it keeps a record of all my workouts here are different levels and prices but polar is great as it connects to a number of cario machines in the gym
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree I always go with the lower figure.......does the bike account for your weight?
  • adamstockton
    Options
    thanks for all the comments guys hrm looks like the best option but for now ill stick to the lower figure thanks