How many calories should I be eating? Please help.

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Everything psulemon is saying is spot on. Your BMR is around 1560, which means you are under eating by quite a large amount, which is why you aren't losing weight.

These are your TDEE results:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1877
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2151
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2424
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2698
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2972

I'd put you at lightly active if you are doing 30DS. It's intense but it's for a short amount of time, so the calorie burns aren't huge. To cut 20% from that would put you at 1720, so eat somewhere around there.

You have to bear in mind you may well gain in the beginning, so increase your cals slowly rather than just instantly up them.

Also, it sounds like it's more your body shape rather than your weight that you are unhappy with. If you want to change your shape, you should consider lifting. You will get the body you want before you get to the weight you want. Check out Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women.

Thanks, I think for now I'm going to try upping to 1600 in the next couple of weeks, 150 calories at a time maybe?
    Are Stronglifts 5x5 and New rules of lifting for women books? (:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Everything psulemon is saying is spot on. Your BMR is around 1560, which means you are under eating by quite a large amount, which is why you aren't losing weight.

These are your TDEE results:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1877
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2151
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2424
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2698
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2972

I'd put you at lightly active if you are doing 30DS. It's intense but it's for a short amount of time, so the calorie burns aren't huge. To cut 20% from that would put you at 1720, so eat somewhere around there.

You have to bear in mind you may well gain in the beginning, so increase your cals slowly rather than just instantly up them.

Also, it sounds like it's more your body shape rather than your weight that you are unhappy with. If you want to change your shape, you should consider lifting. You will get the body you want before you get to the weight you want. Check out Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women.

Thanks, I think for now I'm going to try upping to 1600 in the next couple of weeks, 150 calories at a time maybe?
    Are Stronglifts 5x5 and New rules of lifting for women books? (:

150 calories at a time is perfect. Up it to 1700 though, don't try and cheat yourself out of the extra cals :)

Stronglifts 5x5 is free and you can get all the info you need by googling.
    New rules of lifting is a book.

If that fails, book yourself a few sessions with a PT. The results are worth the cost in the end.
  • LaraCoz
    LaraCoz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just curious about this post and these numbers since I am a similar height to the poster and similar weight loss goals . If mfp has me at 1340 calories and I eat back my exercise calories am I under eating? I have been successful at this level so have not questioned things too much but my goals now, are less about weight loss and more targeted at toning, especially my abs. Also, interested in macros as I have just followed mfp, fairly religiously. Any advice is appreciated.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was always the short kid at school, but I grew an inch in my twenties, to end up 5'6 125lbs.

I worry when I see teenagers restricting their calories, because my experience is that there is still some growing for you to do.