2 cooked meals a day, confused, help?

Options
So after my major binging week and feeling really really depressed my mum sat down with me to work out an eating plan

I suggested an omelette for breakfast but she said she didnt think two cooked a meals a day would help with weightloss, it would keep me from losing. However, i though eggs were high in protein and therefore a good healthy breakfast and then i would have a yoghurt and fruit for lunch and a well balanced cooked meal for dinner

Mum suggested fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, a smoothie and fruit for lunch and a cooked balanced dinner

what do you think is the best option?

Replies

• jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It all depends on whats cooked and how!

Nothing wrong with an omelette for breakfast as long as you don't cook them in too much oil and don't include too many calorific ingredidents such as cheese.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Why would a cooked meal not be good for weight loss. Egg whites have very little calories, lots of protien and they are filling
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Why don't you open your food diary?? Lots of people on here can help you.

You workout quite a bit.. your body needs fuel.

Not junk food.

You need a healthy protein 3-4 times a day.

A couple of eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast would be a good breakfast.

Snack 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt with some fresh fruit, 1 tbsp milled flaxseed or 1 tbsp of your favorite granola or nuts.

Lunch: Turkey or ham sandwich on wheat bread. Stack it with veggies or have a side salad with a tbsp or two of light dressing.

Snack 1 or 2 tbsp of peanut (or almond) butter and a piece of fruit or some raw carrots or celery?

Supper: Baked or grilled chicken breast, veggies, 1/2 cup brown rice

You can vary this with your favorite lean meats, veggies, and fruits.

Just log it and count your calories. Be sure to log your exercise.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I have never heard the cooked meal is bad for weight loss theory. I sometimes cook all three of my meals in a day and it hasn't hindered me. I love omelettes but I only use the egg whites and some healthy veggies, spinach, peppers onions, no cheese but even if you add cheeses as long as its in moderation and you account for it, it should be fine. You don't want to eat too few and end up feeling hungry all day which will cause bigger evening meals. I am sure you will do fine but go for some cooked meals. :-)
  • alysnyder
    alysnyder Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great job enlisting a family member to help, especially one willing to help you plan your week's meals! In my opinion, your mom's plan sounds pretty high in sugar, and your omelet (assuming light/no cheese with added veggies) sounds like a better balance for the overall day, but I may not understand the whole picture. You could try it out on the site first. Enter all of your omelet ingredients for tomorrow, then all of your mom's ingredients for the next day, and take a look at your numbers. Make sure that your columns show you both sugar (which adds up quickly but doesn't keep you full) and fiber (which helps keep you feeling full). Choose the one that best balances with the rests of your diet.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if food is cooked or not; what counts for weight loss is the amount of calories you eat.
    I usually have 2 cooked meals a day; sometimes 3.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think home cooked meals would help as you can be mindful of what is going into it and you can track it. Just make sure you're eating a balanced diet and make sure to eat protein, it will keep you full for a longer period of time.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    So after my major binging week and feeling really really depressed my mum sat down with me to work out an eating plan

I suggested an omelette for breakfast but she said she didnt think two cooked a meals a day would help with weightloss, it would keep me from losing. However, i though eggs were high in protein and therefore a good healthy breakfast and then i would have a yoghurt and fruit for lunch and a well balanced cooked meal for dinner

Mum suggested fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, a smoothie and fruit for lunch and a cooked balanced dinner

well

the best option is dependent upon what you are going to eat for the rest of the day.
    I usually eat a fruit and 2x scoop protein shake or sometimes just a shake.

I ust ate a NORMAL SIZED APPLE. and eating half a pound of top sirloin. prolly less.

that meal is about 500 calories,
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with folks that eating cooked food isn't in itself a problem, its the amount of calories you are eating. I can see where your mum is coming from since the traditional idea of a cooked breakfast is the full English!

I have to say that the amount of calories in your proposed menu plan seems quite low - as someone else said, if you are working out you've got to fuel your body.

Maybe if you can give us your stats - height, weight, activity levels. Lots of people here can advise and give good suggestiosn for meal ideas
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Why would a cooked meal not be good for weight loss. Egg whites have very little calories, lots of protien and they are filling

no. Don't calorie cut with yolks, do it anywhere else! They are so nutritious!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Darling, is that you in your avatar?

Sorry, that is probably not an appropriate form of address. I am Australian.

If that is you, you don't look like you need to lose weight. You look about the same as my 17 yo daughter, who is about as slender as I can stand.

Regardless of whether you are trying to lose weight or not, eggs for breakfast are brilliant. Fruit and yoghurt followed by smoothie and fruit sounds like where is the protein, to me.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this.

an omelette is an excellent breakfast choice. Just be mindful of the things youre adding to it.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Maye if you changed your terminology from cooked to hot, your mum would understand. Hot could include; oatmeal, porridge, soup, and just smaller menus. Egg(whole) with toast and fruit, soup w/ fresh veggies, and standard dinner of meat or fish, hot veggies, salad. All of these are hot meals and cooked but not full restaurant meals.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    how does cooking food make it not good for weight loss? that sounds odd to me.

i start every morning with a couple of eggs (well, actually, one full egg, one egg white, that way, more protein, less fat)
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    thanks everyone great help :)

i always cook my omelettes with no butter or oil lol dry fry

my weight is all around my middle so i look around 6 months pregnant haha
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    im 5'4 144lbs and aiming to get down to 126-130lbs

im currently doing the 30ds, 40 minuets on the stationary bike and 30 mins of walking a day

2 days a week i do a 1hr30 HiiT video aswell

plus 6 week 6 pack level 1 one day a week

all my fat is around my middle as my arms and legs are very slim and toned
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    umm.... I don't think it matters if it's "cooked" or not. I wouldn't consider fruit and yogurt a very healthy lunch. Not enough food during the part of the day your body needs it the most.

Just aim for a calorie goal and eat healthy foods that meet that goal.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just the laws of physics.

Eat more calories than you use, and you will gain.

Eat less, and you will lose.

Most of us just think in 24 hour cycles, but this actually applies over your lifetime.

Cooking food is how our species became so successful and came to have large brains. It does unlock the energy in foods but if you just track your calories and stay close to your goal for the day, you will lose weight over time.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Cooking food is how our species became so successful and came to have large brains.

?
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yep.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-11-26/national/35510270_1_vegan-diet-big-brains-brain-size

That's just the first link in a google search for "big brains cook food".

Wouldn't know it by all the nonsensical, pseudoscientific diets going around right now, but we evolved eating meat - and cooking food (so we weren't as confined to seasonal availability).