Help With Encouraging My Wife

Options
Ok ladies, I need a little help here. I could use some advice. My wife and I have been dieting and watching our diet now for about the same length of time. We both started around May 12th. Since that time, I have been pretty serious about getting myself back to good health. Since then, I have lost 34 pounds and am continuing to do my best to be fair about counting my calories and being honest with what I have eaten for the day.

My wife has been on a Metabolic diet. It's a very strict diet, she has to take a lot of pills and drink supplements and in my opinion just sucks. It's a pretty expensive program and my mother-in-law feels paid for it for the next 4 1/2 months so my wife feels obligated to continue the diet. My wife has tried several diets, weight watchers, south beach but nothing seems to work for her. She says she lost the most weight doing weight watchers which is similar to the calorie counting we do here.

Now comes the problem. My wife supposedly gained 11 lbs. while we were on vacation and she was totally rejected. I on the other had lost another pound and a half. I was very good on vacation considering all the good food and did extra exercise and cut back in other places if we were planning to eat a high calorie meal on a particular day. I watched her while we were there and to me, she really wasn't watching what she was eating, especially in the snacking/sweets area. She seems to do o.k. on her regular meal times but not on the snacking on sweets.

She does a workout DVD maybe twice a week for 20 to 30 minutes and calls it exercise. While she is at least doing a little, I don't know how to tell her that she needs to combine good eating habits and laying of the snacks with a consistent, sustainable exercise program. I don't want to hurt her feelings but any time I try to in a civilized and caring manor talk to her about counting what she eats more closely and exercising on a more regular basis, she jumps down my throat and tells me she has dieted plenty of times before and doesn't need me to tell her how to do it.

I love my wife very much and want her to be as excited as I am about getting in better shape. I need some advice here. If anyone has any suggestions about what I could say or do, please reply to my post. Thanks!

Replies

• anij67
    anij67 Posts: 21
    Options
    WOW, that's a touchy subject. She probably feels like she can't keep up with you. I have found men tend to lose quicker than women, especially starting out. Just keep encouraging her. Does she get on MFP? If she lost on weight watchers before, it should really help her to keep up with her calories and read the encouraging and motivational stories on MFP.
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    When you go to exercise drag her along with you.
    I have tried so many new things thanks to my hubby. I LOVE biking now because of him, and we get to spend quality time together too.
    Or plan active dates. Hiking, bike riding, golfing, etc

I don't know if this helps you or not.. it helps me :)
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss by the way.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dear Concerned Loving Husband,
    * NO ONE will get your wife's attention on this "diet" plan - but YOUR WIFE - by herself & at her own time & palce. A person has to CHANGE THEIR MIND - 1st! As you most certainly have done yourself - no one "encouraged you to lose all the weight so far - but yourself. And as you mention in your profile a big nudge form your doctor. Some thing internally simply MUST occur in an individual's own brain in order to "GET IT!"
    * Sadly - it seems that this has just NOT happened yet for your wife. But don't allow her to sabotage YOUR efforts & success! She will begin her successful journey to health & wellness ONLY when she is ready - so simply go about your life in peace, kindness & continued love in relating to her. Trying to MAKE (i.e. same for encourage) someone else to CHANGE is like trying to nail Jello to the wall - just NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! :smile:
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    If your wife isn't motivated to do DVDs, maybe walking with you would interest her. She is continuing this diet because her mom paid for it. What if she felt she had to walk with you to help you stay motivated? It's just a thought, but it works with my kids. Its not that I'm worried about them getting lost in public, I don't want to get lost, so please hold my hand and keep me safe. Don't even put it as exercise at first ya know, just a romantic stroll :wink:
    I know you don't wanna cause waves in the marriage, and pointing out things she is putting in her mouth is bound to do that... unless she decides she wants your help. Health is sort of contagious.. at least around here. My daughter now wants only water at dinner and from the store. My husband is asking for fruit in his lunches, and my best friend just got her whole family to try hummus with her for the first time. The more you succeed, the more motivated she may become. Try to use phrases like "I do this..." instead of "You should do that..." and she may not feel so um, jumpy. At some point, she will realize that those times she has dieted before didn't help enough and she didn't learn what she needed to. All you can really do is be there for her before and after she gets there. Good luck, and congrats on your 34 lbs~
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    nail Jello to the wall

:laugh:
  • SadieJane1492
    Options
    First of all congrats on your weight loss!!!!! :flowerforyou: I can empathize with your situation. My husband has lost 91 pounds and I just 9 so far and my best suggestion to you is try to get her involved in a caring loving manner, like ask her to take a walk with you or invite her to work out with you with something that you can both do together, she may just be feeling self conscious, as I know I did for a long time. Make something fun you can do together to get her motivated.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Definitely a touchy area. First of all, men lose weight much more quickly than women. Secondly, they are (usually) stronger. I know that during my times of trying to live a healthier lifestyle, I often get discouraged watching my husband eating junk and *still* lose more weight than I do (or at the least not pack on the pounds)... and when I do try to exercise, he can easily outstrip me there as well. (Admittedly, some of that is that he has 9 inches of height on me so I have to walk twice as fast to keep up!)

I think that touching on your wife's eating habits is probably not the best way to go about this. As others have said, she needs to do this for herself and not because anyone wants her to. Reading through your post, I realized that at one point in my life, exercising for 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes really was the extent of what I thought I could do (and, honestly, I still think it was all I could do with everything else going on in my life at the time).

I'm just going to tell you what my husband does that helps me. He is *not* trying to lose weight... but he is trying to be supportive of me in doing so. I plan our meals, and I plan healthy options for the meals we will eat together. He is considerate enough to (usually) limit eating junk food in front of me. He also tries to make sure that I have time to exercise... and sometimes as women it is easy to feel guilty about taking that time for ourselves. Another thing that I think would be helpful, but we just aren't there yet is to make exercise a priority as a family. I don't mean going to the gym together or even competing against each other (that would not work for me, because I'd usually lose and get further discouraged!). But even taking times to walk around together, hike some trails or spend time playing frisbee at the park. Encourage her when she *is* down about weight loss. I've been down because I've gained weight over the past few weeks despite working hard. It meant the world to me that my husband pointed out that he saw how hard I was working and that it would pay off in time. He is not the one that I need being the food or exercise police... unless I ask for that (and I do often ask him to wake me up to go walking in the mornings).

I hope that helps a little... obviously your wife is not me, but all I can speak from is my own experience. I would encourage her to find a plan that she likes to. If she doesn't like what she is doing and feels like it is not working for her... that's just 4 wasted months, in my opinion. I also think that since you are both committed to making lifestyle changes it might be helpful to set some noncompetitive goals for what you want that to look like -- cooking at home more, eating less processed foods, trying some new food once a week or exercise once a month. Things where you acknowledge that you are both in this together but not necessarily competing against each other (and I am not saying that you are being competitive at all... it is just really easy in weight loss efforts to feel that way!)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    First - Bless you for caring so much. We see so many wives on here that say their husbands are sabatoging and not supporting them. Kudos to you. While she may be discouraged by your more rapid weight loss I have to say that a person has to be fully committed to a new way of life or NOT. I think you wife is in the NOT stage. I was too for quite a few years. You can encourage but she may see it as nagging. Have a conversation with her - or show her your post and responses. It's always been calories in (eating) and calories out (exercise). What you eat has to be worked off - plus more to burn the fat. This should not be a diet but a lifelong journey. Somehow when I think of it that way, it's easier. I know I can go out to dinner but I have to save calories and work my a** off exercising. Of course I have to order smartly too. I'm rambling now. Best to you and your wife.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Everyone enters this "journey" in their own time, as a woman once said to me, one day she just got tired of being fat and she did something about it. You need to keep on your path and encourage your wife to exercise with you whenever possible, but you need to stay positive with her but don't bug her about losing or gaining because that may only discourage her. Once she starts to lose you may want to "notice" how well she is doing to keep her motivated but you can't force her to do it.

I have to say that the best words from my husband have been positive, he notices when I have done well and he doesn't say anything when I backslide but he will just hop off the couch and say lets go for a quick walk or he will make a nice dinner when I am tired and I'm ready to order pizza and hit the couch. It is the little things we do as spouses that will help our other halves get better!
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ‎"You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb." - Andrew Carnegie

I found this quote this week when I was struggling because I really want to become healthy and my husband isn't completely committed to it yet. It really helped me to realize that all I can control is myself. Just keep inviting her and don't give up on your own goals. Congrats on the weight loss.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I need a little help here. I could use some advice. My wife and I have been dieting and watching our diet now for about the same length of time. We both started around May 12th. Since that time, I have been pretty serious about getting myself back to good health. Since then, I have lost 34 pounds and am continuing to do my best to be fair about counting my calories and being honest with what I have eaten for the day.

My wife has been on a Metabolic diet. It's a very strict diet, she has to take a lot of pills and drink supplements and in my opinion just sucks. It's a pretty expensive program and my mother-in-law feels paid for it for the next 4 1/2 months so my wife feels obligated to continue the diet. My wife has tried several diets, weight watchers, south beach but nothing seems to work for her. She says she lost the most weight doing weight watchers which is similar to the calorie counting we do here.

Now comes the problem. My wife supposedly gained 11 lbs. while we were on vacation and she was totally rejected. I on the other had lost another pound and a half. I was very good on vacation considering all the good food and did extra exercise and cut back in other places if we were planning to eat a high calorie meal on a particular day. I watched her while we were there and to me, she really wasn't watching what she was eating, especially in the snacking/sweets area. She seems to do o.k. on her regular meal times but not on the snacking on sweets.

She does a workout DVD maybe twice a week for 20 to 30 minutes and calls it exercise. While she is at least doing a little, I don't know how to tell her that she needs to combine good eating habits and laying of the snacks with a consistent, sustainable exercise program. I don't want to hurt her feelings but any time I try to in a civilized and caring manor talk to her about counting what she eats more closely and exercising on a more regular basis, she jumps down my throat and tells me she has dieted plenty of times before and doesn't need me to tell her how to do it.

I love my wife very much and want her to be as excited as I am about getting in better shape. I need some advice here. If anyone has any suggestions about what I could say or do, please reply to my post. Thanks!

The long and the short of it here is this, she can cut out the snacks, sweets and crap food and lose the weight or she can continue with the snacks, sweets and crap food and put the weight back on.

There is absolutely no easy way for you to tell her either and it is not a job I envy, I can tell you. Unfortunately, until she realises for herself, there is nothing anybody can say that may make a difference.

To be honest, perhaps she is genuinely starving hungry on that diet she is on. If you can get her to eat a good protein breakfast such as eggs, that should make her feel more full and less likely to snack than if she were to have a light breakfast. Make sure her meals are spaced out regular and hopefully she will be willing and able to exercise regularly. The more she loses weight, the better she will feel and then of course, the exercise will get easier too.

Good luck!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's a tough problem. I am in a similar situation. I gained a lot of weight, and my boyfriend hasn't gained any, and I feel really bad about myself. He is nothing but supportive, he's great. However, I feel defeated, and ashamed. She may feel the same. Not that it's a contest between the two of you, but she may feel like she's being left in the dusty. Thats not your fault at all. I agree with the others when they say she's gonna do it when she's ready. You can't force anyone. Is there something that she's sad or depressed about? Women tend to use food for emotional purposes. Maybe if you talk more, you can find out if something is bothering her. Hopefully, she will be inspired by your sucess. I would be careful not to tell her how to eat...that will get you in trouble haha!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    also...my mom was really haevy for YEARS, and my whole family tried to get her to lose. She recently lost 40 lbs, when people STOPPED telling her that she should. She will lose when she's ready. Focus on you ; )
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Best advice is lead by example. Just focus on your journey and don't try to change her..the only person we can change or control is ourselves...and if she's still not ready for that..then its only going to make it worse if you pester her..and tell her what she's doing wrong and she'll be come resentful and eat more.. vicious cycle!
    So just work on you..keep up the awesome work...learning to love yourself...being good to your body with work outs and healthy food and smaller portions. And still love her..don't focus on her not jumping on board..just love her and invite her on active outings...hikes/bike rides what ever. Hopefully she'll see your progress and think she wants what you have and start to mimic what you're doing. But don't push her..don't talk to her about it unless SHE asks.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    you can't make her get on board if she isn't ready. Just set an example and be encouraging when she is ready.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice here. I'm not married but come from a large, close knit family. I'm the only overweight one in my family and it wasn't until people left me alone that I started changing my life. She'll do it, but in her own time. I agree with everyone else, lead by example and try and do fun things together. I'd lve to have someone to go hiking with or on long walks with.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with mooz in that there are so many good replies here already, but I'll add to the pile. Internal motivation is an individual concept. No one can get someone to internalize a message; the person has to be ready for change and willing to do what it takes to get to a goal. I have worked with individuals struggling with food, gambling, and substance addictions- the concepts are very similar to weight loss. Your wife has to be ready to be done with her old habits and until she is the one who is ready...no amount of nagging or observing/commenting you do is going to be helpful. In fact, as you have already pointed out, she is defensive. You are putting your goals, restrictions, standards, etc. on her and she isn't ready - for whatever reasons (some conscious and some not). Concentrate on changing you. Lead by example, stop verbalizing and pointing out where she is going wrong. Be supportive when she does makes healthy choices. She may continue to be defensive and upset that you are continuing to lose weight, but that's her own "stuff"; she's angry with herself. She may come around on her own. Check out the link below to the "stages of change" and know as you read it that it is not linear; people will bounce around in those stages before choosing a path. Congratulations on choosing a healthier lifestyle :)

http://www.uri.edu/research/cprc/TTM/StagesOfChange.htm
  • VolatileChocolate
    Options
    There has been some really good advise. Going on personal experience - is she in denial about what she is eating in between meals? Or has she given up or eating emotionally?

If the Metabolic diet is not working for her, even though she feels obliged to carry on it, it will only make her even more unhappy. If WW worked then suggest she gives that another go, or if she's not already signed up on here to join as she can then track what she's eating and get the support.

I used to say 'I've been good all week and can't understand why I've not lost any weight or gained'. My 3 stable meals were good and healthy but I would be eating all the time at work inbetween meals. I eventually went to hypnotherapy as couldn't do a diet on will power alone. It has made a big different and the way I see and eat food as well as dealing with emotions.

I agree with the other that it could bes a delicate situation depending on how your wife reacts when you talk about it in the past, she may even be feeling insecure.. Has she talked about losing weight herself?

No one knows your wife better than you do and you will know how you're able to talk about this. Its a case whether you do the softly, softly approach or straight in there with some (maybe not all) honesty. My partner has a tendency to just say it how it is, and yes the natural thing for me to do is get on the defensive but then after thinking about it sometimes he's sort of right.

By the way well done on your weight loss - keep it up (don't be dragged back down)
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dear Concerned Loving Husband,
    * NO ONE will get your wife's attention on this "diet" plan - but YOUR WIFE - by herself & at her own time & palce. A person has to CHANGE THEIR MIND - 1st! As you most certainly have done yourself - no one "encouraged you to lose all the weight so far - but yourself. And as you mention in your profile a big nudge form your doctor. Some thing internally simply MUST occur in an individual's own brain in order to "GET IT!"
    * Sadly - it seems that this has just NOT happened yet for your wife. But don't allow her to sabotage YOUR efforts & success! She will begin her successful journey to health & wellness ONLY when she is ready - so simply go about your life in peace, kindness & continued love in relating to her. Trying to MAKE (i.e. same for encourage) someone else to CHANGE is like trying to nail Jello to the wall - just NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! :smile:

I have to agree with the above. The only person who is going to convince your wife to be more diligent about her calorie counting and exercise is your lovely wife. Really the only thing you can do is lead by example and concentrate on your own goals. Ask her to go to the gym with you or workout with you (I don't know that you go to a gym), tell her that it would really help you out to have a workout buddy and if she still ends up irate just let it go and she'll deal with her own weight loss demons when she is ready to.

Your a good man and a caring husband and I know that it hurts you to see her struggle but she'll come around. I think asking her to be your workout buddy will help her get on her feet without feeling like you're on her case.