Aerobic exercise + sore muscles

Options
I went to a weight-lifting class for the first time yesterday and my leg muscles are aching now - quite badly but not due to an injury, just a new type of exercise.

I was going to go to an intense aerobic exercise class tonight but I am wondering if I should have a rest day instead?

Replies

• gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I find that aerobic exercise helps the muscle soreness. You can always dial it back a little if you find the intensity is causing more pain. Don't be afraid to stop or take a short break if you need it. You're the best person to judge how you're feeling so if you feel you need a rest day, by all means, take it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It depends. Rest days are necessary but if you don't work out every time you're sore from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) you will have a very erratic workout schedule and will likely quit because you don't form the right habits. That said, real pain is something to pay attention to as it is very easy to injure yourself in the beginning.

What is your current workout schedule? Are you taking 1 or 2 days off to rest and recover? Are you walking on those days or doing other "active rest" activities to help you recover?
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Do not rest unless you are injured. You need to train yourself to not stop just because your tired or sore muscles.
    If you are doing exercise right you will be sore.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'd rest because my first time at a weigh lifting class, i was sore the next day, not agony but pain so i decided i wasnt in enough pain to not go to a different class so i did and i literally couldnt move for days, causing me to miss gym classes for a good few days afterwards, so i had wished i had just had a rest day in between and then it woodnt have ment missing more gym classes throughout the week before i was in too much pain xx
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will go to the Zumba class - not too strenuous and at least I will be burning a few calories!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'd maybe have a long steady walk round the neighbourhood instead (weather permitting) or put on an exercise DVD at home if you have one. Otherwise, go t the class but have a quiet word with the instructor first so they understand if you drop back a bit (don't be afraid to just walk it out if you need a breather!). At Zumba the instructor always asks for any new injuries before the start and reminds us not to push it if it hurts anywhere.

ETA - you need a different Zumba class - mine is very strenuous!