Skinny Fat Help

Options
I am a 22 year old guy that needs some advice and I figure that this is a good place to ask.

Last year I weighed about 77Kg (170 pounds). I started calorie counting and got down to 66Kg (132 pounds) in a very unhealthy way. I then ended up binging and putting most of it back on.

I then joined weigh-less and managed to get back to 66Kg (145 pounds) which was their recommended goal weight. Now though I've noticed that although my shoulders are quite bony, I still have quite a bit of belly fat. I've now started riding about 10Km (6 miles) on a stationary bike daily as well as lifting some weights.

My question is will this help with the fat? I dont think I should lose anymore weight, but now that I'm kind of thin for the first time ever, I would like to try to get some abs to show for it.

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Its going to be about replacing the fat with Lean Mass..

Start lifting. The bike is good but it is probably causing muscle atrophy in the process.

I am on week 4 of stronglifts 5x5 and although I have been a cardio fiend for nearly 2 years (67 pounds down, 18 stone to 15 stone 3) the last bits of belly back and chest fat is just starting to melt off.
  • callumburnett
    callumburnett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a 22 year old guy that needs some advice and I figure that this is a good place to ask.

Last year I weighed about 77Kg (170 pounds). I started calorie counting and got down to 66Kg (132 pounds) in a very unhealthy way. I then ended up binging and putting most of it back on.

I then joined weigh-less and managed to get back to 66Kg (145 pounds) which was their recommended goal weight. Now though I've noticed that although my shoulders are quite bony, I still have quite a bit of belly fat. I've now started riding about 10Km (6 miles) on a stationary bike daily as well as lifting some weights.

My question is will this help with the fat? I dont think I should lose anymore weight, but now that I'm kind of thin for the first time ever, I would like to try to get some abs to show for it.

You cannot spot reduce fat. Fact. If thats where your body stores its fat, thats where it stores it.
    What height are you? I used to be 69kg (181cm) and considered myself skinny.
    Id suggest that you start lifting with a calorie intake slightly above TDEE. Before you cut any more fat from your body i would bulk up a bit, especially if your noticing your bones becoming visible. Large compound lifts with assistance exercises are what is normally recommended as it has been proven to work countless times.
    Ab exercises - weighted Russian twists, hanging leg raises and different forms of planks are best. Crunches are more often than not performed poorly and are actually not as effective as the ones i stated.
    Once you have added some more muscle to your frame then id cut, you will have something to show then.
  • gareth8jones
    Options
    Thanks guys, so should I cut back on the cardio for a while, maybe do less strenuous cardio with the weights?
  • callumburnett
    callumburnett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Look up Starting strength or Stronglifts. Both are very good and well used beginner routines. Id start just using cardio as your warm up for lifting. And make sure if you do plan on doing it other than as a warm up do it after lifting.