Holy Allergies :(

Options
The pollen count here in NJ is going to be in the high range for the next 4 days, and I'm feeling horrible. Scratchy throat, stomach ache, fatigue... the works. I'm going to be trying to get my workouts in, but all I want to do is hide under my covers.

Anyone else here about to suffer through their workouts?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    I actually always work out indoors (home or gym) so it's not THAT bad. But when I get to the gym I already got the sniffles and look as if I'm crying so everyone keeps staring at me haha.

Do you work out outdoors? Just try to do something inside.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ummm yes!!! Are you also coughing?? It's driving me INSANE and keeping me up at night. And the watery eyes and runny nose. I'm taking meds, but they are not working that well. I had to skip my workout this morning because I was hacking up a lung all last night and didn't get much sleep. I'll try to make it up tonight. I'm from Jersey too btw!! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The endorphins from your workout should actually help with your allergies. The common decongestant, pseudoephedrine is a synthetic endorphin type chemical.
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Me too. Except mine turned to Bronchitis... again.
  • StrongerKelly
    StrongerKelly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm in PA (right on the line to NJ) and I've never had allergies in my life... until now. I keep claiming that I'm coming down with a horrible cold, but it never arrives. Sore, itchy throat, congestion, tired. It gets better as the day goes on, but oh man, it is dragging me down. It makes me want to lay on the couch and sleep, not work out and enjoy the fact that Spring is here.
  • masker01
    masker01 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm from Mississippi and have always had bad allergies. The pollen count has been terrible down here as well. I take Allegra D and Flonase everyday during the spring it seems to help, but I am still struggling with them especially in the mornings. I hope you feel better soon!
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The pollen count here in NJ is going to be in the high range for the next 4 days, and I'm feeling horrible. Scratchy throat, stomach ache, fatigue... the works. I'm going to be trying to get my workouts in, but all I want to do is hide under my covers.

I have terrible year-round allergies (meaning I'm allergic to everything that grows, from tree pollen to cats and dogs, to molds, etc.). I can **really** empathize with how allergies interrupt your healthy habits.

Would you consider taking an over-the-counter antihistamine during this time of the year? Just one a day during the couple weeks where your symptoms are most intense might make a big difference.

If you're comfortable doing so, take one about an hour before bedtime. This allows the medication to be at leak intensity during your sleep time, improving your ability to get deep, recuperative sleep so you're able to push through your workouts.

Costco sells a 360-tab bottle of generic Zyrtec for $12. (Brand Zyrtec sells 120 tabs for $28.) This may or may not be overkill, but if you find yourself taking it daily for an extended period, this is a money saver.

[Disclaimer: I'm obviously not an allergist. Speak with your physician if you have health concerns.]
  • JeeperChick
    JeeperChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get the same way- runny, stuffy, itchy nose, itchy eyes, sneezing, fatigue, headaches and queasy stomach. I use a nasal spray called Nasalcrom. It works better than anything I have every tried, and I have never experienced any side effects. I use it 3x to 4x a day at the start of the season. After a few days, when my symptoms subside, I use it 2x a day. Once in the morning and once at night.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Claritin-D is the answer. Also, showering/rinsing off whenever you come in from outside. I limit my workouts to the gym on high pollen days. Wash your bedding and vacuum/sweep your house. Having a relatively pollen free indoors will be very helpful for your overall allergies.
  • dd4238
    dd4238 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago and just now I am starting to feel better. My doctor prescribed allergy meds (allegra), patanase, and a saline rinse. The saline rinse is what I think ultimately helped my nose. Once before bed and once in the morning and I could smell again. It didn't feel as dry either.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I live in Finland and pollen wise this spring shouldn't be as bad as last spring (which was all kinds of awful). I'm doing okay now, just having a runny nose and coughing a little bit. I started taking my allergy meds and increased the dose of my asthma meds a few weeks ago. I really hope the meds work well 'cause I've already had an asthma attack twice this month (before I increased my medication). I'm not really looking forward to May-June because of birch pollination (birch pollen is my worst enemy).
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Claritin-D is the answer. Also, showering/rinsing off whenever you come in from outside. I limit my workouts to the gym on high pollen days. Wash your bedding and vacuum/sweep your house. Having a relatively pollen free indoors will be very helpful for your overall allergies.

Good comments - medication is *part* of the answer. You could also try using a neti pot to flush your sinuses once or twice a day. There are a variety of styles available online and your local pharmacy probably carries a few. If you go this route, remember to buy the saline solution.

Interestingly, the best article on using and caring for your neti pot can be found here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/08/27/how-not-to-die-using-a-neti-pot/