Hourglassed shaped women report!

Options
I'm 5'8 with a small frame, but when I gain weight, it goes right to my hips & thighs. Strangely enough the weight seems to come off my abs easily.. but the weight on my thighs/hips is very stubborn and hard to bring down.

What is the best way to whittle down my thighs? Running? Any type of cardio? I'm not crazy about running as about 30 minutes in one of my knees starts to hurt a little, but I enjoy other types of cardio.

Right now I take a Tae Bo class 2-3x per week and do 30DS once or twice a week.

Any advice? What do you guys do? Feel free to send me a friend request fellow hourglass ladies!

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    "What do you guys do"

we get fat on the gut and handles and the rest of the body stays fat free so i dont think we ll be much help !!!

Not sure how many " hour glass" glass ladies will turn up on a diet forum !!!
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

gee, thanks for the incredibly helpful post
  • joysette
    joysette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried strength training lower body? (or whole body for that matter?) Running indeed is good, but any type of cardio that burns fat is good. Unfortunately, we're designed this way...Or, fortunately, as some men would have it. :)

I also like the stairmill, AMT, and swimming.

Good luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 with a small frame, but when I gain weight, it goes right to my hips & thighs. Strangely enough the weight seems to come off my abs easily.. but the weight on my thighs/hips is very stubborn and hard to bring down.

What is the best way to whittle down my thighs? Running? Any type of cardio? I'm not crazy about running as about 30 minutes in one of my knees starts to hurt a little, but I enjoy other types of cardio.

Any advice? What do you guys do? Feel free to send me a friend request fellow hourglass ladies!

i run and i'm pear shaped. my hips/thighs have slimmed down from it. i also have bad knees but doing lunges/squats helps strengthen them so they don't hurt when i run.
  • garnet116
    Options
    Have you tried strength training lower body?

No, I haven't. Is this where I would squat with weights? Or use the machines at the gym? I don't strength train other than using hand weights.

Can you or someone else point me in the direction of what strength training exercises I can do?

Thanks!
  • garnet116
    Options

. i also have bad knees but doing lunges/squats helps strengthen them so they don't hurt when i run.

Oh, that is good to know. I was worried that squats/lunges would actually make my knees worse. I will keep doing them, thanks!
  • JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    I so can relate since this is what I am trying to work on as well! Feel free to add me! I was told to try squats and lunges.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Hour glass doesn't mean someone is in shape...it means they carry their weight in their boobs and hips and not so much in their waist. I consider myself to be an hourglass figure and I'm 35lbs overweight.

OP:You can't spot reduce, the weight will come off of where it wants to, when it wants to. Lunges and squats are probably the best to tone up those area. Good luck!
    ETA: Walking can be just as beneficial as running and it'll be easier on your knees. Most of my working out is walking, and my thighs feel much stronger.
  • ckredizon
    ckredizon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A little strength training and a whole lot of running/walking! My thighs are still my problem areas but I noticed a much bigger difference when I run even just a few days out of a week. I'm hourglass too and the fat melts off my upper body pretty quick, but I think my thighs will still be the last to go because that is where my body genetically wants to store the most fat.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    No exercise is going to change your body shape. If you get your bodyfat percentage low enough, you will eventually lose the stubborn fat too. I am an hourglass and tend to hold fat in my chest, love handles, and backs of my thighs. I only lose enough fat there to make me happy when I'm sub-20% bodyfat. I achieve this by lifting heavy, eating a lot of protein, and eating a moderate deficit to lose fat.

Here is me at about 30%BF and about 18%BF, with only a few pounds difference in weight. I'm an hourglass in both but much happier with my body in the second picture
    8+months+back.png
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Jillian has a Killer Buns and Thighs DVD, but you could look that up in YouTube and see some of her moves for those areas instead of another DVD purchase. Maybe swimming and water exercise would be good to really work your thighs without strain on your knees or joints.
  • garnet116
    Options
    No exercise is going to change your body shape. If you get your bodyfat percentage low enough, you will eventually lose the stubborn fat too. I am an hourglass and tend to hold fat in my chest, love handles, and backs of my thighs. I only lose enough fat there to make me happy when I'm sub-20% bodyfat. I achieve this by lifting heavy, eating a lot of protein, and eating a moderate deficit to lose fat.

Here is me at about 30%BF and about 18%BF, with only a few pounds difference in weight. I'm an hourglass in both but much happier with my body in the second picture
    8+months+back.png

You look amazing! My BF as 30% when I joined the gym a few months ago, I think it has come down because my pants are fitting better, thankfully. I have never lifted heavy, and I actually own a copy of New Rules of Weightlifting but haven't had the courage to start reading it... I feel a little intimidated by heavy weights.. I know I should at least give it a read. Thanks for the post!
  • garnet116
    Options
    Jillian has a Killer Buns and Thighs DVD, but you could look that up in YouTube and see some of her moves for those areas instead of another DVD purchase. Maybe swimming and water exercise would be good to really work your thighs without strain on your knees or joints.

Oh yeah, I love JM! I haven't tried this workout yet, will check it out, thanks Zeppyb!
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    This is where I carry my weight as well. I can gain 10 pounds and not an ounce will go to my waist. It will all just go straight to my butt and thighs....where it will hang on for dear life when I try and get rid of it.

I have found that weights (squats and lunges) have helped tightened me up in that area. But the best results in terms of making them smaller has been good old fashioned weight loss from diet and cardio. I find that I'm happiest with the they way my butt/thighs look when I'm about 7-9 pounds lighter than I am right now...
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Don't worry friend I am the exact same way! 5'8" and my butt and PARTICULARLY my thighs will gain all the weight first! and hold on to it for dear life!!

What I've been doing is running. Long, slow distances. Run run run. Two half marathons! Slow, but I run. Its helping things slim down. I also avoid the classic thigh-muscle-building weight exercises and instead focus more on my glutes and upper body when I strength train. Helps balance things out a bit.

I'm finding that as I lose weight my shape doesn't change much, it just gets smaller. However, just looking smaller makes a huge difference even though my thighs are still "big" relative to my waist, in my opinion. So I bet you'll like the look better as you slim out in general.

Don't listen to the naysayers- hourglass or pear-shaped women OBVIOUSLY can be overweight too! What a ridiculous thing to say....you can be overweight at any shape! But we ARE lucky to not have problem tummies so remember to be grateful for that!!
  • eschoon88
    eschoon88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My butt and thigs have ALWAYS been a constant issue. Just today I went window shopping over my lunch break and tried on a pencil skirt and navy sun-dress. Where did my eyes go? Right to my double-wide hips! Everytime I look in the mirror, I catch my eyes drifting down to see how montrous my hips look. I asked a personal trainer who is a friend of mine and she said it is from a variety of factors. 1)Bone structure- believe it or not, people really are big boned. 2) Fat distribution-can't really change where the fat collects on your body. 3) Lifestyle- Are you sedentary or do you walk around for your job? The little daily activity over years and years can affect how your body shapes.

She also gave me a few exercises and most of them have been listed. One I found particularly surprising involves getting down on all fours and raise your bent leg sideways until it's paralell to the ground; that works the outter thigh. As for inner, lunges work best for me.

Also, don't discount the power of yoga. constantly stretching your muscles makes them long and lean...smoothing out fatty tissue on top.
  • bibabee
    bibabee Posts: 5
    Options
    For cardio definitely try something with high intensity and intervals like spinning, i swear by it and have lost a lot of weight in the past from it. Circuits and Kickboxing also are ace for focusing on the lower part of the body.

Strength training and weights will help tone and slim bums and thighs...even when I was at my skinniest (many many moons ago) I was always so self conscious of my stocky legs and sticky-out bum, but we should all also feel proud of our womanly parts!

xxx
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure and what worked best for my difficult areas was Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (Jillian Michaels) and also I have found yoga has done me a lot of good as my torso looks longer now, meaning my silhouette looks much better.
    My advice is a bunch of cardio, I have also been running.

Also, I try not to pay too much attention to BMI as I hold quite a lot of weight in my chest and hips/bum which I want to keep the shape of. Go for a size/look you want instead, especially when you get close to a goal weight if you have one.
    Here's my progress so far, now I'm moving on to pilates & body weight training for toning;

novfebapril_zpse1c962bc.jpg
    34003518_5183.jpg
  • lpm25
    lpm25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    squats and pushups! I've done them nearly every other day for 9 years.. and just randomly too, whenever I remember throughout the day. being hourglass is a blessing cause you have a lot of grace when it comes to gaining weight... as long as it doesn't giggle! :D
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I gain weight in my hips, butt, thighs, and bosoms (lol). Running did the most for me in slimming my thighs, but it also made my butt go away. No bueno... Squats and lunges firm up my hips, bum and thighs. DIet does the most for me in terms of keeping the belly flat.

If I could figure out a way to slim my thighs without losing my butt... that would be great. But oh well. If I can't make them smaller, at least I can make them look better.