Work lunch ideas anyone?

Options
Hia all!

I just wondered if anyone had some lunch ideas you could share with me?

I need something to take to work with me that is filling, can be made the night before (with fairly little effort! ;-) ) and does not need to be cooked - we don't have a kitchen at work, only a fridge!

I am getting bored of sandwiches and wraps and I am always stuck for ideas!

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Replies

• joknight2
    Options
    This is what I bring to work:
    Snack:
    Weight Watchers String Cheese (50 cals)
    Light & Fit Peach Yogurt (80 cals)
    Banana (for ride home) (90 cals)
    Lunch:
    Tupperware filled to the brim with the following:
    Pouch of salmon (70 cals)
    Cucumbers/Tomatoes/Fat Free Italian Salad Dressing (80 cals)
    Egg (70 cals)
    Carrots (35 cals)
    Cottage Cheese (60 cals)
    I put this all together in the morning, takes about 10 minutes.
  • lazergirl21
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :-)
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    I like to rinse a can of beans the night before, then add different things in. My favorite is white beans mixed with a little lime juice, cilantro and tuna, chilled. If you have a microwave, quinoa is always a good filling base for a lunch meal.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been making a pan of chicken on Sundays, then wrapping them up and just eating them cold at work. I know, I'm weird, I like it better cold actually, but if you have a microwave you could heat it up. I usually eat that with a salad that I make the night before (I put all the ingredients in little containers then just dump them on top of the salad) or some broccoli, just plain. Again, I'm weird, I could eat that stuff for days. You could also make some rice ahead of time and just bring like a cup of rice with it.
  • jjkath
    jjkath Posts: 17
    Options
    Do you have access to a fridge? Bring the ingredients for wraps in separate containers (or a container with separate compartments) and assemble them right before you eat.
  • kylaenslow
    kylaenslow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to rinse a can of beans the night before, then add different things in. My favorite is white beans mixed with a little lime juice, cilantro and tuna, chilled. If you have a microwave, quinoa is always a good filling base for a lunch meal.

hmmm.....lime and cilantro are my favs! i'm going to try this for tomorrow! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • kcworkingdiver
    Options
    I have been doing well with losing eating this . . . tuna packed in water drained very well with salsa on it - it is amazingly good and keeps the hunger away.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't have a microwave at work either so I bring the following:

Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Salad
    Leftovers from dinner

I also bring snacks for the day like bananas, oranges and, apples. I have some "ready to drink" protein shakes in my desk as well.

If your looking for some recipes try fitnessrecipeis.com
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I take a pita pocket, smear 2 T hummus inside, add a slice of Sargento's ultra thin cheese and load it with veggies (spinach, shredded carrots, cucumber slices, etc). Wrap it in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. You can do the same with a tortilla and make a wrap instead of a pocket. If you don't like hummus, substitute boiled or grilled chicken breast (about 2 oz) or drained tuna. Add a half cup of greek yogurt and some berries on the side and you're good to go.

I also like PB2 (powdered peanut butter that you reconsttitute with water and it's lower in calories and fat than regular) on whole grain bread with a banana and have veggies like celery, carrots, cucumbers and red peppers on the side.

These both fill me up but I still have an afternoon snack of a piece of fruit and a tablespoon of almonds or walnuts just to get me by.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You could do cold cut wraps! Use cold cuts and wrap cheese, lettuce, veggies or whatever in them and stick them in the fridge.
  • pdfrazier08
    pdfrazier08 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I sometimes buy a cooked rotisserie chicken and eat on that for a few days at lunch. Usually I eat frozen mixed veggies with it or I will buy low calorie bread and make a sandwich out of it. Lean pockets and a can of green beans is another thing I eat. You can also microwave a sweet potato for about 5 minutes. Sugar free jello is usually my dessert.
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    Salad in a mason jar.. no really it works. you put your measured amount of dressing (if you use it) in the bottom. then put in your salad makings cap it off and throw it in the fridge at work but standing on it's cap end. When it is time to eat you have a cool salad that is covered with dressing but isn't more than you needed/wanted. I have been doing that for my old man and he has lost some inches. (oh and don't use iceberg lettuce it is almost nutritionally void)

Hope it helps have an amazing day and way to go!
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Look online for different types of salads - there has been an explosion of possibilities lately. Recently read one here that seemed really good (Chicken Cheese Crunch) http://fitbie.msn.com/2013/04/03/healthy-salad-recipes?blog_cat=juice-bar
  • jooleenew
    jooleenew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, sometimes for a really quick, easy lunch (and afternoon snack) I sometimes bring celery sticks, then fill them light Philly cheese (different flavours) and a tomato and chilli chutney or chilli relish on top. It's very tasty and surprisingly filling at only approx 250 calories if you fill 3 or 4 sticks of celery. I would usually have fruit and a low fat savoury snack as well. It all depends on whether you're a celery fan or not!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I do have a microwave at work... but I usually only use it to reheat potatoes / chicken. Lately my lunches have been a mix of a few things...

Tuna wrap - I use a small amount of organic mayo and the 80calorie fiber one wraps, and then I bring a salad (spring mix or baby romaine) with feta and balsamic dressing.

Chicken / Avocodo Salad - spring mix or baby romaine salad, with a piece of bacon ripped up into bacon bits (I get the precooked bacon for this) and then at lunch time cut up half an avocodo, and add some perdue short cuts with balsamic dressing. If I have extra cals to burn I throw in a few croutons as well.

Lately I've realized I haven't been getting enough carbs, fancy that... so I'm trying to add in more potatoes / sweet potatos and brown rice to my lunches. Today I'm warming up some potatoes I had cooked previously in olive oil and garlic salt, cottage cheese, and a salad. Another great option if you have a microwave is uncle bens ready rice.

If you like hardboiled eggs those are an awesome addition / option as well, they just bother my stomach so I don't eat a lot of them.

Edited to add between meal snack options -
    Fruit, or Cottage Cheese with fruit
    Yogurt
    Banana or Apple with PB or Almond Butter
    Nuts
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I've yet to get tired of sandwiches. I've been doing sammy's for lunch for about 15 years now, only occasionally changing to chili once in a while.

I try different kinds of mustards and cheeses. Different breads, too (Italian, wheat, rye, plain white). Lots of variety out there, I switch it up before I get bored, and don't come back to the same thing very often.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunches:

1 apple, sliced
    2T of PB to dip it in
    2 slices of proscuitto, each wrapped around 1 laughing cow cheese wedge
    1 string cheese

or

2-3 cups of spinach
    4oz chicken breast cooked in buffalo sauce, diced up
    sliced red onion
    2T light bleu cheese dressing

with 2T hummus and some crackers/pita chips to dip it in (or raw veg)
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm having Farro with Feta, Cucumbers, and Sundried Tomatoes today. No need to heat, and I make a big batch ahead then eat it all week long. Recipe here: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/farro-with-feta-cucumbers-and-sun-dried.html Adjusted slightly (extra bell pepper, extra feta) and added edamame for some extra protein too, and a huge serving is around 350 calories with 23 grams protein. I've loved all the Skinny Taste recipes I've tried!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Fruit you can grab and go, like bananas, apples, oranges, pears, etc. or if you have the time to wash and portion out other fruits like strawberries, grapes, blueberries, the list goes on and on. Same thing with veggies. You can even buy fruit and veggie in pre portioned plastic baggies from the store.

For a lunch I am currently doing wraps. Buy some precooked and sliced chicken or turkey (or use any leftovers if you want) and load up with your favorite veggies, some lowfat/low cal dressings and some spinach. Low moisture/part skim cheese or even light laughing cow cheeses work well. You can make 5 and refrigerate them and bring to work.

I also found a recipe for a "power salad" that contains a high dose of protein and fiber, that includes red onion, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, and black beans. You could make a big batch of that and portion out for the week.

Tuna/chicken salad are also good suggestions.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Here's my fav. lunch recipe. It's based on a recipe from Helen Gurley Brown's 'Having it All', though it's essentially a fancy tuna salad... I know it's quite simple, but I often struggle to come up with ideas!

1/2 small onion, grated
    2 medium-sized dill pickles, chopped fine
    1 large celery stalk, chopped
    2 heaped tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 heaped tablespoons natural Greek yogurt
    1 can of tuna (use the oil too)
    1 hard boiled egg, chopped
    sliced red or green pepper
    Anything else you'd care to add...

It makes quite a lot, so I cut in half for two lunches. It makes around 300 or so cals per serving.

If I'm extra lazy to do this, then it's a can of fish, half an avocado and cottage cheese for lunch!