At goal for 1+ year, not happy with body

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Summer. I am a 36 year old female that has been maintaining her weigh loss of 140 pounds loss for exactly one year this week. However I am still not happy with my body. I have a high percentage of body fat 30% + as per skin fold test and an army body fat calculator someone directed me to and a body fat percentage scale. I want my body more toned, see a bit more muscle and I know I need to lower my body fat percentage however I am at my goal weight of 135 pounds (5 foot 8). When I drop lower than this I don’t feel good at all. So how do I drop my body fat % but not weight?

Some back ground on me…

I lost my weight on Weight Watchers and exercise. I am really not bad on hanging or loose skin which surprises me. Last month I won a Fitbit in a raffle so have been tracking through that exclusively. I also have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor I eat over 2,000 calories a day and eat the same amount of calories than my daily burn.

I run 3-4 miles a day, 3-4 times a week.

I have the P90X system but it intimidated me so instead I did Jillian Michael’s 90 Day Body Revolution system and completed it. She suggests using 3lb, 5lb and 8lb hand weights with the system. I did it with 6lbs, 8lbs, and 10lbs. I also have pretty much all of her DVDs and will regularly rotate them.

I also have a gym membership.

So how do I drop my body fat % but not weight? I know I may never be able to wear a bikini, but would at least like to wear a tank top! At looking at some of your guys pictures I would love to be able to have a selfie of me in front of the mirror just wearing a sports bra and showing off some amazing abs!

Replies

• thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You have to lift some heavier weights! You'll gain muscle and lose fat!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You need to start an actual strength/resistance program that is progressive. You're not going to substantially change body composition doing a bunch of cardio...even cardio with light weights. The only way to make substantial improvements in body composition is weight lifting (and no, you won't "bulk up")

Look into the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" or Starting Strength or Strong Lifts or similar. Keep in mind that body re-composition doesn't happen overnight...it takes a lot of work and a lot of time...so don't look in the mirror after a couple months and just conclude that it's not working. body re-comp takes a long time and really, is always a work in progress.
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss!!! I second the New Rules of Lifting for Women, especially since you have a gym membership. Search the forums for things like "women who lift heavy". I've noticed that almost every women on here that I think looks amazing lifts heavy weights.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Everyone will tell you to lift heavy weights. And I think they are right.

Also I had a friend who got real toned after adding protein and fat to her vegetarian low fat diet. Unsure why, but that's what happened.
  • s2konstantine
    s2konstantine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great work on getting this far!

I agree with others. Lift heavy *kitten* weights. You will not look like a bodybuilder. Building lean mass is the best way to increase your metabolic rate which will help you keep the weight off, forever!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Great job at losing and maintaining!!!!

I'm with everyone else with lifting heavy weights! I'm 5'10" and 135lbs. I'm fine with that weight, but definitely need more muscle definition and mass to round out my shape.

I began the Starting Strength program several weeks ago and that has helped a lot!! I've had to miss several workouts this month due to travel, but am going to start over again next week. Want to join me?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Well if you lost that much weight, then the skin fold test may not be that accurate due to actual left over skin. You may just have a lot of skin to pinch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
  • paday
    paday Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually recommend the P90X. It is intimidating, yes, so start off with just the strength training portion (i.e. Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms, etc.). Since you're already doing cardio on your own, I wouldn't worry about the others. Trying to do all the disks is too much and very overwhelming, so just pick out a few of the disks and do those each week. Mix them up every couple of weeks. There are tons of disks so you shouldn't get too bored with it.

Also, it is rare that I have time or want to spend what little free time I have working out with a disk that takes longer than an hour (because I also enjoy running on a regular basis and fitting both in is difficult). So, what I do is print the worksheets that go along with whatever disks I plan to do. After a few times doing the disk, you learn which moves are what. Then you can just go by the exercise name on the sheet and do the workout at your own pace which is generally a whole lot quicker than it would be if you have to listen to Tony booty-chatter the whole time. A P90X workout that would normally take 60 minutes will take me like 35. It's not the "P90X way" but, if you stick with it, it will most certainly help with toning your muscle.

Congrats on the major weight loss by the way! That's a huge deal!
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    1) Find heavy things
    2) Pick them up
    3) Put them down

Repeat

:drinker:
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! New rules is a great start. Feel free to add me if you want some support. I've been lifting heavy for over a year now.
  • 80lbsdown
    Options
    I do the Insanity workout with Shaun T that builds muscle without weights.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, 140lbs! That's awesome! I still have a lot of weight to lose, but I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women Program about two weeks ago and it has already made a huge difference in how my clothes fit, how my body looks, and how confident I am. The book is an easy read, too! Lifting is addicting once you get into it :)

One thing to be aware of, though - you might not actually see the number on the scale go down (or it might even go up!) but the good changes will be happening! Your muscles retain water when they are sore, especially after the first time you start a new workout program, so don't be alarmed if you see a 5+ lb weight gain after starting - it will go down within a couple of weeks, and you'll be able to see changes if you're pushing yourself!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Try to get a more accurate body fat test.

Pick heavy things up, put them down.

Eat more protein.

Be patient.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You should think about getting a personal trainer, he/she would be able to help you a lot! :)
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    Chiming in to say I agree with eveyone else on lifting weights. NROLFW is great, I bought the book and did the first 8 weeks of that, and so is stronglisfts 5x5, I am about 7 weeks into that, the youtube videos were very helpful with my form. Both have great forums here on MFP if you have specific questions. Good luck!
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Repeating! Lift Heavy weights, 6, 8, 10 lbs won't do it! May I suggest ChaLean Extreme which is a progressive program of weight training...just finished the program and have AMAZING results and I feel awesome! HEAVY WEIGHTS, high protein intake and staying within your macros - you'll get toned..good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Any solid beginners lifting routine: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, All Pro, New Rules.

Lifting heavy 3 times a week full body will change your body..... and also re-orientate your relationship with it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift some heavy weight ... squats and deadlifts, especially. I did the cardio thing for a year, and while I lost a lot of weight, I still looked flabby. Heavy strength training completely changed my body.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights. Learn how to use that stuff in the scary free weight section and you'll see the results you are looking for. Best of luck!