Another HRM question.. :)

Options
Ok, here is my qualm. I have a friend who decided to wear her heart rate monitor to track her daily calories throughout a normal work day. I say it would be inaccurate to wear it all day, as its' sole purpose is for activity. Am I wrong? Maybe she is on to something?
I have always wanted to know how many calories I burn through out a work day. Is her idea valid, or just a waste of time?

Lemme know, my inquiring mind wants to know!

Replies

• lovesweetlove
    Options
    I'm with you... it's not meant for that extended wearing. Too many variables. There are ones out there (fitbit or jawbone up) that do the all day thing though.
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    She burned 1126 calories in 12 hours, wearing her heart rate monitor. :)
    I'd love more opinions, so I can converse with her with a little more knowledge under my belt!
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    MYOB. If it works for her what's the problem? You don't have to do what she does. I don't mean to be mean. :flowerforyou:
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Wash the strap at the end of the day, and be prepared to change batteries sooner than expected in the watch; you'll know when you get the repeated "Check Heart Rate Monitor!" beeps of doom during a workout.
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wasn't judging her, just was wondering if she was going to get an accurate result. :) She is one of my dearest friends, and asked my opinion, in turn, I asked people for theirs! She bascially made it my business! :)

I told her I would try mine for a day and we could compare notes!

Have a great day!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You are correct. The calculations used by HRMs for calorie burns assume higher O2 exchange rates, which only happen during exercise. Their calculations will be way off when worn "at rest".
  • marniephie
    marniephie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HRM's are designed for all day use and you are right, her results will not be accurate. There are other contraptions avaliable to give you correct calories burnt during a whole day but a HRM is not one of them.