swimming advice

Options
Hey all, I am trying to get into swimming. Does anyone have advice as to how to breath properly while swimming? I do freestyle mostly because that is pretty much the only one I can do properly. Any advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    out of your nose

eta: or mouth

eta again: or hold your breath
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I turn my head to the side and take a breath in through my mouth and then blow it out my nose as I swim. I am not sure that is "correct" but it works for me. Wherever you swim may have lessons. It'd be worth taking one. I found a lot has changed in how they teach kids to swim nowadays - especially the front crawl - in order to reduce the stress on the shoulders and use more of the core.
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I swim at home but looking into lessons would not hurt :) Thanks alll!
  • sullycc
    sullycc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Breath in while above water and out while below water. You wont have time to breathe in and out while above water. Breathe every 3 or 4 strokes by turning your head to the side, and you will get a rhythm going. Make sure you keep your fingers together and use your hands like a paddle, kick from your bum with a straight (ish) leg and not from your knees. Hope this helps. Maybe try googling the correct technique. You will get a better workout if you are swimming 'properly' rather than using all your energy with an incorrect technique. Saying that, that probably goes for all sports, lol. Good luck.
  • mrf726
    mrf726 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there Carolyn,

I just took up swimming as well. I swam a bit as a child, but now I need to because of an ankle injury. I found a lot of helpful information online. If you google "swimming for beginners" or "swimming for weight loss for beginners" there are many helpful articles. Give this a try for breathing techniques: http://www.ivillage.com/swimming-beginners-tone-your-body-6-weeks/4-b-466859#466868

I have learned these things re: freestyle -

1. alternate the side you breath on, do not always breath on one side because it will throw off your balance and you won't swim straight.
    2. most people rotate their head 100 degrees or more, don't. Try to keep it to 90 degrees. If you are pulling properly and rotating your body it should be easier than it sounds. I spent my swim today trying it out. It is hard and resulted in me swallowing a bit of water, but I want to master it so I'll keep trying.
    3. Don't lift your chin up to breath, always breath to the side.

Good luck!
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hey all, I am trying to get into swimming. Does anyone have advice as to how to breath properly while swimming? I do freestyle mostly because that is pretty much the only one I can do properly. Any advice is appreciated :)

Hi,

I used to swim competitively. Although my "specialty" was the fly, I did a lot of freestyle.

I breathed on my right side, on every stroke of my right arm. As I lifted my arm out of the water I tilted my head and got a breath.

Swimming is great exercise. Good luck!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I breathed on my right side, on every stroke of my right arm. As I lifted my arm out of the water I tilted my head and got a breath.

Also a former competitive swimmer, but I breathe with every stroke of my LEFT arm. I do see a lot of people breathe every few strokes as well--it depends on the swimmer. Even if you look at Olympic athletes, their breathing techniques will be different. The most important thing is to come up with a rhythm, whichever way you decide to do it. I would drown if I tried to breathe to the right, because I've always done it during my stronger stroke (right) to even my swimming out, lol. Hope this helps!

P.S. Quoted poster--am I weird for breathing on the left? I see a lot of people say that they only breathe on the right. Am I a "lefty" swimmer?!