How do I stop a binge once it's started?

Options

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It makes it harder to stop & walk away in a house filled w/ the smells of fresh baking tempting you for more. You'd be much better off not even having the ingredients on hand & making a trip to Panera, or some other local bakery...for ONE cookie.

We keep a bar of dark chocolate on hand & break off a small pc when having a craving, sometimes even dipping into natural peanut butter. Surprising, that one little pc is very satisfying.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    i think bingeing is a bad idea, i'm all for having one cookie or chocolate here or there but you will never lose any weight if you binge. i agree with people that say only make a few cookies at a time, if you think you really need to bake, or freezing the cookies. the thing about weightloss is that you have to change your lifestyle which means giving up certain foods, do you have any recipes for healthy cookies?? i make breakfast muffins they are healthy and it means i still get to bake, i freeze half and i have one a day.
    try not to cut out foods that you enjoy completely otherwise you will get the urge to binge, but always include all your foods in your diary because if you do binge it will open up your eyes and you will see what you are doing to yourself. good luck with your weight loss journey, sorry bout the essay :happy:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Willpower is not very powerful. You should not rely on it to resist chronic challenges like overreating. Work on your environment and habits instead.

I completely disagree. Willpower will get you to all your goals, fitness and otherwise. How do you expect to work on your environment and habits without willpower?

RejectReality_zps3ae4005b.gif

^QFT.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    This is more generic advice on avoiding snacking in the first place (based on my own experience), but much can be adapted to curtailing in-progress binges.

1. Watch less TV. Do activities that involve your hands. It's hard to shoot hoops and eat at the same time. If the binge has started, remove yourself from the kitchen and go do something active.

2. Limit the amount of snack food in the house at any given moment, have your spouse hide your car keys in the evening (prime binge time) so you can't get more unless you walk to the store.

3. Make the treats you have on hand less accessible. By this I don't mean put them on a high shelf, but rather make them something that has to be made, not just grabbed. I snack on PB2 and crackers. The act of mixing up the PB2 slows me down, makes me think about what I'm doing, and makes me less likely to reach for more.

4. Make the treats something that take a little longer to eat. Maximum time and enjoyment per calorie can make 200 calories feel like a binge, and satisfy cravings more.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth
    Think "I will start this second, only focus on the right now. not the tomorrow or the past. Just this moment I will start fresh!"
    Throw it in the bin if you have any half ate stuff!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So far, I've given up alcohol because I had far too many hungover epiphanies leading me to conclude it was just hindering my weight loss and causing me to binge. I was never a heavy drinker, but when I did drink, I always always snacked and ate things that were not planned. It's been close to a month for me that I haven't drank and my binges have gone down exponentially.

Also, had to give up my favorite treat, cookies. Oh an chips, ice cream, and granola. All some of the most amazing things I've tasted but they trigger a part of me that is destructive to the rest of me.

So anyways, many many learning experiences aka binges needed to happen for me to realize I just have to do my best to prevent them from happening rather than try to control them when I'm on edge.

If baking is one of your triggers, find a way to eliminate it or do it purely for the craft and not the food. Good luck! :smile:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You can still bake, just bake smart. Try some of the recipes on this site - The Gracious Pantry. The baked goods are delicious and much more nutritious.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup almonds
    1/3 cup cooked oatmeal
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/8 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips
    Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
    Mix everything except the chocolate chips in the food processor. You should have a nice wet, sticky dough when you’re done.
    Using your spatula, scrape dough into your mixing bowl and mix in chocolate chips.
    Spoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
    Bake for 20 minutes.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Put the fork down...think about what you're doing. LEARN from it and don't make the same mistake again.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Run 6 miles then eat it.
  • GaJavaGirl
    Options
    Stop. Have a glass of water and brush your teeth/mouth. I find that the aftertaste of delicious treats makes me want more.

^^ THIS!! Brush your teeth or chew some strong mint gum to get the sweet taste out of your mouth. Or, like someone else posted, throw it in the trash. My daughter made mini cupcakes and I was allowing myself one a day (~50 calories). But then she left for the weekend. I know my propensity to binge, so I threw them in the trash and immediately took the trash out!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just stop~

I can't tell you how much this answer helped me. I have been battling binge eating for decades. Wow "just stop" why didn't I think of that. .... Thank you so much.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing and with the same level of sarcasm. But that's what most of the advice here is offering. My advice, coming from the perspective of someone that had binge eating disorder, is now lost in the mix (or will probably be ridiculed in some way). Oh well.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I WILL not bake without someone else in the house... it keeps me from eating it all and licking the bowl.... I also tell myself "I don't eat this crap, it makes me feel like ish." I also verbally say "I don't metabolize sugar well" ALL THE TIME... it might be a load of crap... But its starting to turn into reality, I rarely binge now, it WILL happen every once in a while. Forgive and move on.... Good Luck! You got this!! You don't even like that crap! :happy:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with binges is that they are uncontrolled. I think you are best off trying to prevent them. However, if you find yourself in a binge, walk away from the situation. Grab a bottle of water and walk, walk, walk. I am not a binge eater but sometimes I find myself eating too much when I'm distracted (grading or reading or watching tv) and a good way to distract yourself is to do something more engaging.
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love baking too! I'm trying not to do it at all, unless it's for somebody else and I can take it to their house, eat just one and leave it there. But that's not easy! And if you can't have just one then don't go there. I'm trying to put that creative cooking energy into other stuff, like finding and cooking healthy food that I love and feels like a treat. This won't work if you feel deprived!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    just... stop?
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly, but the other night when I was binging on dinosours I gave the bag to my boyfriend and got him to hide it from me. When I wanted one after dinner, he would only let me have just one. Sometimes it's extremely hard to make the conscious choice to put down the snacks and walk away. I'm not afraid to admit that my willpower isn't always as strong as it should be, so sometimes a little help from an outside source is necessary!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't keep binge food in the house.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. I mean, you still want to enjoy yummy food, so take 3 bites and ONLY 3 bites, then walk away. Brush your teeth, destroy the food with like Windex or something before you throw it in the trash OR box it up and put it out of sight and get busy doing something. Go outside for a walk, go check the mail, just keep your mind busy on something other than the food.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Ha, I've also had my husband hide food from me and he is TALL, so it's always in a place where I can't see it or reach it if I knew where it was.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Figure out what "triggers" your binge and try to remove that from your life for a period of time that is longer than 2 weeks but shorter than "forever", because swearing off something "forever" never works.

For me, I was slipping hard the past few weeks on bingeing-- mostly just me, but it was also aggravated by smoking weed-- and though I didn't gain much weight back I knew I would if I didn't change FAST. So I'm making a pact with myself (and have posted about it quite vocally so that all my MFPals know that I'm doing this and can hold me accountable) to give up fast food and smoking pot for a month.

I also agree with those who say simply do not buy the foods you're likely to binge on. If I decide I REALLY want ice cream, I go get a single scoop cone from Baskin-Robbins. It's far less cost-efficient than buying a whole gallon, but it stops me from creeping back to the freezer and pigging out. Buying in bulk is a recipe for disaster when it comes to binge-eaters, so just don't do it!!