Same stupid 10 pounds!!!

Options
:sad: I set my first goal for 150 which I met last year and several times within the past year. I want to lose an additional 10 pounds so I am at 140. But I am having trouble with staying on track. I keep falling off the wagon and gaining 10 additional pounds back which takes me to 160. I work my *kitten* off and get back down to 150 only to gain it back once I fall off the wagon (diet and exercise). This has been going on for about a year now and I am getting frustrated. Anyone else having this issue and how do/did you get past the hump??? PLEASE HELP

Replies

• valentina2122
    Options
    I'm struggling with that very same issue!! it's the last 10-14 ibs I just really struggle with .. Lost it before but everytime I loose I then find myself regaining because of terrible hunger :-S this has been going on for years! But it really would make a massive difference even keeping off half a stone! :-(
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    this...all of it
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on reaching my goal weight the first time, but I would guess either you haven't truly changed your eating habits or your body is "happier" at the slightly higher weight. Maybe there is no "going off the wagon" if you want to maintain the lower weight? Weight management is, for most people, a lifetime thing. Perhaps if you go after those last 10 pounds at a slower rate, you might find a lifestyle that is sustainable?
  • Skyoctober
    Skyoctober Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your responses...I think my plan is to lower the amount of pounds that I want to lose each week and raise the calories intake. I might be better if I take this as a slower process.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What keeps causing you to "fall off the wagon"? Just tired of staying on track, it's too difficult to stick to the low cals, hungry, what? I went through similar things, until finally I decided there was not going to be any more stopping and starting - I was going get back on track and stay there. Saturday I hit my 600th straight day of logging in at MFP. :bigsmile:

I did finally lose the last 10lbs, and agree - slower is better. It took me about a year to do it, but it is harder when you have less to lose, and slower is more sustainable, and you're more likely to keep it off this way.

Part of what helped me was getting my calories right - no low cal, no severe restrictions - that's difficult to stick to. I wanted something that I could do forever, a lifestyle change that was sustainable for the long haul. I found in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Awesome info and links to tools with instructions on how to calculate how much you should be eating for fat loss, and where to set your macros. I've been eating according to this info (1800-2000 cals a day!) for over a year and have had my best success since then. And I can stick with this forever.

Check it out, read through it, several times over if necessary - it's a lot of info and it took me awhile to wrap my head around all of it. :tongue: But it's well worth it. These are permanent changes we can make for permanent results!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your responses...I think my plan is to lower the amount of pounds that I want to lose each week and raise the calories intake. I might be better if I take this as a slower process.

I can guarantee you won't lose any remaining pounds quickly, once you're smaller it's definitely a slow SLOW process :)

If you're restricting yourself too severely, you're just setting yourself up to fail. You need to find some middle ground

Maybe you should find alternative goals to distract yourself with, like your body fat percentage, or how strong you are, or how quickly you can accomplish fitness-related tasks. Stop obsessing over pounds, which vary depending on the time of day and how much liquid you've had in the past few hours. Good luck!
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! I only have 14lbs to lose but as soon as i get down 4 before i know it the 4 is back on, just cant get rid of the last 10lbs! because im jst going between the 1st 4! haha xxx
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I keep losing the same weight over and over again. My goal is 125, but I can never seem to get lower than 135 without gaining 5-10 lbs back. I seem to always have an excuse to not focus on weight loss and just do it. Right now, my excuse is that I'm getting ready to move so I have so much going on that I don't have time to work out. I need to get into a mindset that there will always be things getting in the way and I just have to make time for it. No excuses.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You need to consider this a lifestyle change not a diet. Do you exercise, if not find time to do so but find something you enjoy.

Don't give up your favorite foods just have them in moderation. If you have a cheat day/meal just make sure you jump right back on track the next day
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your body may have adjusted to your routine! Try changing your routine... ie; more intensity to your exercise, longer exercise (or add an extra day to your routine), try new exercises, and you could always check with your doctor to monitor your glucose and sodium levels (as a pre-caution). :smile:
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I wrestled my whole life through college and it was basically a year-round sport. I learned that you couldn't compete at the highest level constantly, you had to pick 4 or 5 major tournaments during the year and try to peak at those events and back off a little in between. Backing off didn't mean relaxing, it meant concentrating on other things, maybe technique, cardio, strength learning a new set of moves.
    Now that I'm older I've taken a similar approach to my fitness, I want to look my best at the beach for spring break and late in the summer when we have a lot of picnics and pool parties, so I focus on my weight for the weeks leading up to those times. I like to run in a few races in early summer so after spring break if focus on my 5k times while not being quite as strict on my calorie intake. During other times I focus on building muscle so when I "lean out" for the beach I still have some good muscle. Focussing on building muscle allows me to eat more so I know when I start my weight loss it's not going to be forever.
    I'm not talking about swings of 25 or 30 pounds, i'm talking about swings of 10-15 lbs for me which may amount to and 7-10 for you.
    Now I don't believe I have figured it all out, but it seems to work for me and allow me to keep the fitness level and the motivation high. 4 years ago I started getting back into shape and I lost 40 lbs in the first 9 months and have stayed in the range of 40-50 lbs down from my starting weight.
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump