Lifting program/schedule for free weights?

Options
I'm wondering if there's a lifting program I can follow just using free weights (dumb bells)? I don't have/want a lifting machine at home, but I'm willing to invest in some dumb bells that my husband and I can both use!

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    How about getting a barbell set and trying Starting Strength, StrongLifts, or New Rules of Lifting? There's plenty of info and support out there for all three programs :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    How about getting a barbell set and trying Starting Strength, StrongLifts, or New Rules of Lifting? There's plenty of info and support out there for all three programs :)

Requires barbells.

What about a suspension trainer? Sandbag? Body weight training? Great training with minimal investment.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    strong lifts and starting strength are both good beginner routines, and most of the lifts can be adapted to dumbbells. You could also google something like "dumbbell routine" and see what you get...
  • amy_wills
    amy_wills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work out at home using dumbbells. Im currently doing James Wilson's 12 week program. Its AWESOME! I am seeing the best results of my life. And you only have to lift 4 x's a week, do HIIT 3 x's a week.

The program is $55. You can sign up on his Fcebook page. Just look for him under "James Wilson Faith Family Fitness".
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. True, some of the exercises call for a cable station and barbells. However, there are home gym alternatives for the cable station (using dumbbells) and most barbell exercises can be adapted for dumbbells instead. I found the book a pretty good read as well.

:drinker: