Studying Abroad

Options
I am leaving in two weeks to study abroad in China for approximately one month and I am really worried about negating all of the progress that I have/will have made by then. I asked several Chinese students from my university what my typical meals will be like, and they told me all rice, spring rolls, noodles, etc. for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (plus whatever snacks I bring over from the United States). I'll be doing a lot of walking to get around, but I have to stop Insanity a month early and I'm terrified about the food choices. I've been having a really hard time losing weight already, and my doctor suspects a thyroid issue, so I am getting blood work done this week... but I don't want to have to start all over again from the beginning (or worse) when I get back. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do?

Replies

• persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Embrace the culture. Choose vegetables when you can. Most people I know who have studied abroad in Asian countries when overweight lost weight while abroad. Maybe your doctor will be able to provide a few suggestions also. All that you have been doing is geared towards changing your lifestyle. Stay active. Will you be in a rural area? If so, bike when you can. If its an urban area, could you join a gym?

Plus, those in East Asian countries aren't known for obesity like those in a few western countires (USA) and I attribute that to lifestyle differences and how those differences affect the genes of various populations.

Your health changes are for the rest of your life. Don't be afraid to adapt :)

I'll be studying in France for a year come September and share similar worries. But I'm sure that if I pay attention to both the quality and the quantity of my food, remain active, I'll be fine.
  • miaotiaox
    miaotiaox Posts: 13
    Options
    I'll be going back and forth between Beijing and rural areas, so I won't really have an opportunity to commit to something like a gym. The majority of what I will be doing there is going to historical areas, so I definitely be doing a lot of walking (especially in Beijing). I'm not sure how safe the city will be, but perhaps I can go for morning runs by myself. Unfortunately, I'll be rooming with three other people, so I doubt they would appreciate me doing Insanity in our hotel rooms :P

The director of the program that I talked to at my university said that he thinks I will lose quite a bit of weight simply from eventually getting food poisoning (what a lovely thing to look forward to), so I guess we will see what happens... I'd rather not get sick... so I am going to try and stay away from meats and see if I can get more vegetables like you suggested.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    First of all: congratulations on making this big step!!

I think China does have a lot of healthy choices also. As has been said before, there is hardly any obesity in China. You can get a lot of steamed veggies and meats, which are obviously the healthier choices than fried springrolls etc.

I think do some research about the typical things you can get in the supermarket and get familiar with the calories of them. Can't help you much there, but I do wish you a lot of success and fun!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i am staying in china right now, i'm doing my degree here. just stay away from chinese food!
  • Nutella91
    Options
    in beijing there's so many restaurants from all around the world. don't get tempted. but also make sure you go to sanlitun village, there are some awesome bars there! i try not to eat out but i binge on alcohol every weekend! :/
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Regarding the risk of food poisoning - you may want to stick to bottled water/boiled water/tea and maybe wine and other alcoholic beverages and avoid raw fruits and vegetable and/or eat fruits and vegetables you can peel. Meat, unless under-cooked, should not be a significant issue.It may also help to wash your hands a lot. I was in Japan in March of last year and had no issues, but was not in rural areas and suspect food hygiene in Japan may be somewhat better than in China. You may want to consult with your physician about what pharmaceuticals you might wish to have along, just in case. I agree with the others - go heavy on vegetables and easy on the rice and noodles, but make sure you consume ENOUGH calories for whatever level you are exercising at - going too low DOES seem to slow metabolism and weight loss.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you spend the entirety of you trip worrying about each thing you eat, you'll come home and only remember the things you couldn't do/eat, and not all the amazing experiences you had.

It's just one month! It'll be over before you know it. Make the best reasonable choices from what's presented to you, and try to focus on having a good time. Try to do lots of active things, even if it's just walking (who wants to stay cooped up when they're abroad anyway?)

You are leaving one of the most obese countries in the world and traveling to one of the least (https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/obesity-according-to-the-world-factbook.html )

What I'm really trying to say is... don't worry about it!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would say don't spend much time worrying about it. Do what you can to make good choices but don't agonize over it. You're in China to experience something new and part of that experience is food. Embrace it, if you gain 5 lbs, so what? Enjoy your time there and make the most of it. I did two semesters abroad in college, one in Brazil and one in the Czech Republic, and they were unequivocally the best thing I did in college.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, I'm sure you will find that Chinese "Chinese food" is NOTHING like American "Chinese food." I'd venture a guess that it is MUCH more healthy than the takeout junk we have here in the States :)

Study abroad is an AMAZING experience. Just be mindful of your portions and enjoy your time. If you gain a few pounds I can assure you it will be totally worth it.
  • Nutella91
    Options
    Regarding the risk of food poisoning - you may want to stick to bottled water/boiled water/tea and maybe wine and other alcoholic beverages and avoid raw fruits and vegetable and/or eat fruits and vegetables you can peel.

bulls*** i eat tons of fruits and veggies every day
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    i am staying in china right now, i'm doing my degree here. just stay away from chinese food!

WTF? No. There is nothing wrong with Chinese food, as long as you make balanced choices and not just try to stick to stuff you recognize. Well, maybe those bananas foster... Moreover, food is an important part of any culture and in rural areas, she won't have much choice. Just have small portions, which is what they really expect. The same is true of any study abroad experience. Staying away from the local food is just one way of gypping yourself of your education dollars.

China has excellent water and food quality. It is part of being a well controlled society: it includes proper sanitation education.

If you have any free time, go to the nearest park. There will be people doing tai chi or some other form of group exercise that they will be happy to show you. My mom was given a paddle and ball to keep practicing with. Most areas also have mini gyms - a hand full of metal versions of exercise machines, like an elliptical. They are meant to be used in a controlled manner, not whip it out as fast as you can.

Seriously, unless this latest flu takes off, there is never a reason to be concerned about your health in China. Well, unless you are spending your time binge drinking. That isn't good for you anywhere.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I studied abroad in Italy for 6 months and lost 40 lbs eating pasta every single day (not to mention all the cheeses!! mmmmm)
    But I ended up losing weight because of all the walking I was doing, just getting around. Seriously-- just pay attention to your body, spend the 2 weeks you have now fine tuning your ability to listen to your hunger/full signals, and relax. If you spend the entire time stressing over what you're eating, you'll miss the amazing culture and experience.