I'm always hungry!

Options
megbee617
megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
Hi all,

I've been using MFP on-and-off since October 2012. Fell off the wagon around christmas and have been back on since February. So far I've lost 10lbs. I've been working out 3x week for 30-40mins and reduced my calorie intake to 1400-1500cal/day, with the occasional cheating on the weekends, but nothing too crazy. Even though I'm working out and eating better, I'm not losing as quickly as I want to, and feel that maybe without knowing it, I'm compromising my diet.

My problem is, I'm ALWAYS hungry. I know that protein and fiber are an important part in being satiated. I'll start the day off with a hardboiled egg (protein!) and a kashi bar (some protein and fiber!). Midmorning snack is usually an apple (fiber!) and another fruit. Lunch is usually a LeanCuisine microwavable entree (I make sure I eat the kinds that have at least 5 grams of fiber) and perhaps some baby carrots. And I'm STILL. SO. HUNGRY. I end up getting home and eating alot during dinner (which is bad). I know my issue is I'm not eating enough during the day and that's why I eat alot at night, but I just can't get excited about food.

What are some tips about what to eat and when to eat them so I'm not blowing my diet at night? Any suggestions on new foods to try?

Replies

• Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    LeanCuisine microwavable entree (I make sure I eat the kinds that have at least 5 grams of fiber) and perhaps some baby carrots. And I'm STILL. SO. HUNGRY.

These are SO bad for you. They are processed with many chemicals and artificial sweeteners that make you hungry. Make whole foods at night and take them for lunch the next day. There is a reason people don't lose weight eating those things.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    EAT. REAL. FOOD.

Not prepackaged convenience food.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been using MFP on-and-off since October 2012. Fell off the wagon around christmas and have been back on since February. So far I've lost 10lbs. I've been working out 3x week for 30-40mins and reduced my calorie intake to 1400-1500cal/day, with the occasional cheating on the weekends, but nothing too crazy. Even though I'm working out and eating better, I'm not losing as quickly as I want to, and feel that maybe without knowing it, I'm compromising my diet.

My problem is, I'm ALWAYS hungry. I know that protein and fiber are an important part in being satiated. I'll start the day off with a hardboiled egg (protein!) and a kashi bar (some protein and fiber!). Midmorning snack is usually an apple (fiber!) and another fruit. Lunch is usually a LeanCuisine microwavable entree (I make sure I eat the kinds that have at least 5 grams of fiber) and perhaps some baby carrots. And I'm STILL. SO. HUNGRY. I end up getting home and eating alot during dinner (which is bad). I know my issue is I'm not eating enough during the day and that's why I eat alot at night, but I just can't get excited about food.

What are some tips about what to eat and when to eat them so I'm not blowing my diet at night? Any suggestions on new foods to try?

I know how you feel. I can't get excited about pre-packaged, 4 for $10, frozen food either.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough water as well.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine wouldn't sustain a hummingbird. Eat real food!
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is just my humble opinion/bias, but I wonder if you'd feel better and less ravenous if your meals were closer to 400 or even 500 cals (or maybe 400 for breakfast, 500 for lunch, etc). Granted, I do have a job that keeps me on my feet a lot and do workout a majority of the days when I'm off, but....I KNOW that especially for lunch I'll probably be starving if I don't eat around 400. I seem to eat roughly 400-500 per meal and 150ish per snack - all adjusted for exercise/etc.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough water as well.

This! Definitely helps me. Maybe you could try eating a bit heavier for breakfast and keep the good snacks. Veggies are great to have to snack on as they have tons of good stuff in them and help take the edge off. Processed foods make me hungrier...go for "real" food. Works for me anyway.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with what everyone else has said. If I get hungry, I will always try drinking a glass or two of water to see if that helps. For me, I space out my meals/snacks throughout the day. 7:30 breakfast, 10 snack, 12/12:30 lunch, 3/3:30 snack and 6:30/7 dinner. This helps me manage my hunger.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    EAT. REAL. FOOD.

Not prepackaged convenience food.

This!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you eat 1400 in a day and burn 300, you're only netting 1100, which would leave most people starving.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine wouldn't sustain a hummingbird. Eat real food!

whatever, i love my lean cuisine!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For lunch (I am short on time as well) ... I go to my deli section at the grocery store and get 1lb of turkey and 1lb of roast beef ... much better than the lunch meat stuff and costs about the same.

2 Slices of whole grain bread, 4oz of meat, tomatoes, spinach, romaine and honey mustard.... excellent lunch and fills me up until my snack :)
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Get enough water for sure, if you drink lots of diet drinks or products that use artificial sweeteners, it can bring on cravings. You may be interested in doing a lean gains intermittent fasting type eating schedule if you find that eating smaller meals is harder and not satiating for you. Lots of protein too will also help.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're hungry because you're probably not eating enough. With only 19 pounds left to lose (per your ticker), you need to set your expectations a lot lower wtih the speed of loss. Be proud of losing so much in a short period of time! Then take a deep breath and come to terms with the fact that somewhere between 1/2 and 1 pound per week is about as good as it's going to get from here on out. Not sure if you've custom set your calories but or you go by MFP's calcs - if it's the latter, lower your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2 pound per week. And make sure you eat back all your exercise calories.

Another option is to custom set your calorie goals. Search for "in place of a road map" and follow the steps there to set up your calories.

Make sure the quality of your food works for you - healthy fats and proteins tend to keep you satisfied longer. Fiber works for some folks as well. And make sure you're hydrated as the body can confuse thirsty with hungry.

Good luck!
  • Jerzaka
    Jerzaka Posts: 12 Member
    Options

My problem is, I'm ALWAYS hungry. I know that protein and fiber are an important part in being satiated.

Don't forget the ever important fat component. Good fats when coupled with the above may help you feel full and for longer periods of time.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Maybe try replacing your morning fruit snack with a greek yogurt. I get Danonn Light & Fit greek (not plain with fruit in it!) and it's only 80 calories and not a lot of sugar compared to other yogurts with fruits added in it. It has 12 grams of protein. Fills me up nicely. I usually also have a half of a bagel thin or english muffin with a tbsp of peanut butter too, but keeps me filled up. I also eat 6 spaced out meals/snacks. Look at my diary for timing and calories/protein for each meal, it's open to public.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    LeanCuisine microwavable entree (I make sure I eat the kinds that have at least 5 grams of fiber) and perhaps some baby carrots. And I'm STILL. SO. HUNGRY.

These are SO bad for you. They are processed with many chemicals and artificial sweeteners that make you hungry. Make whole foods at night and take them for lunch the next day. There is a reason people don't lose weight eating those things.

Correct! I used to eat lean cuisines until I found out how bad they actually are. Seriously, look into it. Instead, if I need something quick for lunch, I will get an Amy's meal. They're (mostly) organic, non-GMO, have no preservatives, no MSG, no trans fat, basically, just deliciousness.
  • MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I thought I was eating healthy before I started MFP. Unfortunately my healthy real foods weren't always the correct portion. For me, I took a look at the foods I was eating that were higher in calories but didn't fill me up- and cut them out (mostly). For me it was the avocados and cheese. And I started looking for foods that were lower in calories but filled me up. For snacks, I love air popped popcorn- it is low calorie and good on fiber. If I feel like I need to chew, I like chewing on gum.

Good Luck, once you really start seeing results this will probably be easier on you.
  • darling_niky
    darling_niky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said so far about eating real food. It takes more time to prepare but its worth it. I use recipes from the website Skinnytaste.com, all the mains are around 300-400 cal and you can add if you make a dinner from it. Also for your snacks try adding fats/protein to your fruit and veggie snacks, like hummus with veggies or peanut butter with fruit.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to always be hungry during the day, but I really upped my protein and that helped. I eat 1 cup greek yogurt every day for breakfast, and snack on cheese sticks, PB2, and nuts throughout the day.

Also, your cheat days may be worse than you think they are if you aren't logging. Log every day, even if it a bad day.