Gym Vs. Home Workouts/DVD's

Options
In your opinion, which do you believe get you an all around better workout? Is it at home, with your trusted p90x (or equivalent) or do you find that a trip to the gym works better for you? I personally have been a on and off gym-rat for a while but have fallen in love with home DVD workouts. I got sick of the stupid ( and unneccesary) competition at my local gym, the beefy guys that look at you like you don't belong in the weight room, and being hit on by lesbians in the locker room. Most gyms in my area are more like social clubs for the fitness elitists than for regular chicks like me. I'm curious as to what you all have found works for you and why?

So, Gym Vs. Home Workouts? Discuss! :D

Replies

• princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym, but my gym is very small (only 4 people can train at any one time) and it is mostly one-on-one training. I don't like training at home as the cat looks at me funny and the dog keept trying to jump on me!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I say home workouts!

I'm doing Insanity and I sweat way more at home than at the gym. I live on a military post so the gym is free but when I go I feel awkward since it's a lot of soldiers. Sometimes I can't fit going to the gym in my day. Tried that and it failed. I use to go to the gym a lot but that was before children =)
  • Eiletram
    Eiletram Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I HATE gyms.. you can't just waltz in wearing whatever you want.. because all the beefy guys and toned skinny minnies with their lycra trousers will stare!
    Then you have to sweat like a pig and endure further stares as people watch when you fail at an exercise..
    I just hate.. I am addicted to wii fit plus, dance games and biggest loser.
    The three work in totally different ways and makes me want to go home and do my exercises, with the gym it was a 2 hour battle in my mind every time before I went!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Love my Gym!!!! And by what the rest of you are saying about yours, I love mine even more. Under 5 ft tall and weighing 182, I don't feel judged at all.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    I prefer the gym, but my gym is very small (only 4 people can train at any one time) and it is mostly one-on-one training. I don't like training at home as the cat looks at me funny and the dog keept trying to jump on me!

LMAO! Almost lost some coffee reading this one!
    OP, I prefer the gym....I need the eyes on me to keep me accountable or else I dont stick to a routine at home. The sad thing is I have spend SO much $ on the DVDs, Wii games and equipment LOL I actually used my treadmill at home yesterday, but thats because my daughter had a fever and I didnt want to take her to the gym.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    HmmM. I've tried home workouts, I bout the The Firm Body Bootcamp, but I find it hard to motivate myself at home. I much prefer my gym, it helps that it's in the same building as my work! What I ultimately prefer above home workouts or gym is functional exercise such as cycling to work and back.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    My neighbor hood has a gym and its almost ALWAYS empty except for maybe 1 other person so I LOVE LOVE LOVE It, but i also love my home work outs too its a tie for me, but...public gyms, i don't know I 'm not to fond of...sometimes I scream when I'm running like 30, 29, 28 counting down on my sprints I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in front of people
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Usually I fail @ home workouts but going to do day 10 of Insanity and my husband is proud of me & shocked. Lately here though I have been sleeping in instead of waking up early to do my workouts (I'm also doing Brazil Butt Lift)

Besides losing weight and getting into shape, what has me going is wanting an Insanity T-Shirt. I know it's silly but would awesome to own. Oh and I'm also trying to prove my husband wrong...lol...he supports me working out but if ify when I want to buy something because he knows how it goes.

After i had my first daughter I tried the Jillian Micheal's shape up series but yeah I quit. I started it back up again because I wanted to build up endurance before I did Insanity but for some reason I just got really discouraged. 2 weeks later I purchased Insanity. I love Shaun T as an Instructor. I'm surprised myself for almost going on 2 weeks!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a gym person because I have to get up and do it. At home I can keep putting it off (Hello, Real Housewives! I love you Bravo!), but once in the gym door, I have nothing to do other than work out. Also, I have a personal trainer to keep me in a routine. In all honesty, I've been thinking about trying to be a home person. The bf and I got P90X and plan to start it in a few days (which we've been saying since May! Told ya, I put it off at home.) because of some of the gym frustrations - like how busy it gets in the winter after New Year's. Similarly, I've been trying to expand my activities in general, like bike riding, so that the gym isn't so necessary - more like a buffer or supplement to a generally active life. Or so I'm hoping!

I can understand not liking the gym you go to for the social reasons. And I know this isn't quite your question, but, I'm a big girl, and I just got over it. I don't care what I look like in the gym. I want to be the reddest faced, sweatiest beast in there. I'm not there to pick someone up; I'm there to bust my *kitten*. At least where I work out, what I've noticed is that the meatheads are more concerned with themselves than me - they want to show off for each other. And if they are bothered by my fat sweaty body and cherry red face, that's their problem - I don't want or need their validation. :)

Plus, take being hit on as a compliment you've been doing well!
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I prefer workout DVDs as i am in the comfort of my own home..plus the nearest gym is really expensive and I don't think I would enjoy a monotonous workout on a treadmill or ellipitcal machine :yawn: I like upbeat, fun ways to keep fit :tongue:

It really depends on what sort of person you are but for me it's certainly the DVDs :smile:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of a set of boot camp DVDs right now (9 week program) and I definitely like them. But, I've gotta say when it comes to lifting heavy, the gym wins. I have a reasonable amount of equipment at home for lifting, but I don't have a squat rack or the like at home.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I loved going to the gym, but it's not in the budget right now so, I workout at home.

I have two sets of weights and a set of tension bands and I get the same "burn" from my home weights as I did from the ones at the gym.

The one thing that I really miss from the gym is the variety of workouts, you can't do leg presses without a leg press machine, and it's hard to do a preacher curl without the right bench, but all-in-all I'm still getting a good workout a home and still seeing the same improvements to my muscle tone as I did at the gym.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Definately the gym. It makes me get out and do it. I mostly do cardio and enjoy it when the young muscle kids get on the elliptical next to my old chubby butt and can't keep up!
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I definitely have mixed feelings about the subject. I used to have a gym membership and there were alot of days where I would be unmotivated to go just for the fact that I'd have to take the time to drive there and back and my evening schedule was already kinda tight. Plus I definitely feel everyone else on the fact of being a tiny and (then) overweight female in the weights section. :laugh: I didn't mind the weight machine areas, but it was intimidating in the free weights area!

At the same time, home workouts have their draw backs. For one thing I don't live on the bottom floor of my townhouse so I'm bouncing all over and shaking the roof of someone's apartment. Then I get self conscious when other people are hanging out while I'm doing the workout (except my husband, don't mind him). I think the most annoying thing though is having to share the tv. My bro-in-law sleeps on the couch sometimes so its irritating to get up in the morning ready to do a work out and having a snoring beast on the couch that you feel it would be rude to disturb. Or on their days off sometimes the in-laws will be watching tv when I get home from work and want to workout.

I think I just complain alot, lol.

"I want to be the reddest faced, sweatiest beast in there." Made me lol, btw. :laugh:
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of both, but it has to be a "working gym" like the one i've belonged to where the equipment is older and well used and the people are there for just one reason "working out" and not a social gym (which is OK if thats what you want) with pretty (mostly unused equiptment) where people are there to work but chat, hook-up and waste time. I've since built a pretty good home gym with a stationary bike and an "air glide" for caridio bowflex and 300 lb free weight (with olympic bar) set and great DVD's (Rock hard abs, 30 day shred and a few others) but my new favorite for my morning workout is my Wii fit plus and Biggest loser workouts.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home for a variety of reasons. First, the entire idea of spending 15 minutes driving to the gym doesn't inspire me...seriously, I could use that 30 minutes for a variety of other things in my day. Second, the gyms near me are like singles bars. It's awful. Third, I find that I workout harder at home with a program that's already 'set' for me. Fourth...there's a Zumba class at my gym that all the ladies love...but the thing that just icks me out is that the men in the gym tend to stand by the door and ogle people. Seriously, guys...get a life.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I believe that there is a place for both. I work out at home when I can't make it to the gym or go outdoors (I love to trail run and hike). I'm sorry that the gyms near you are social clubs, I've had those in the past as well. Try to find a small gym that doesn't have all the extras (the smoothie bar, sauna, ect) and most likely you'll find a gym that's not for socializing but for actually getting in shape. I go to an American Bodyworks and it's great. There is nothing fussy about it and it's a good mix of young and old, male and female. I don't feel as if I'm being watched by the guys and the locker rooms are pretty small and you have to go to the restroom to use the shower (only one shower per restroom....privacy). Check out some of the smaller gyms near you and see if they are more to your taste.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I prefer going to the gym beacuse its a done deal and I cant procrastinate. I am lucky that my office building has a small gym and I can go for free. I pretty much wear whatever in terms of my workout outfit and I do my own thing. It works for me. I have yet to find an exercise video at home that I loved and I felt gave me the same workout intensity as the gym. But again... the gym is what works for me.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I deffinately prefer home workouts, even though my gym is also a "sports rehab centre" so there's only usually injured or older people in it so it's not really busy or anything, I just prefer to be on my own when I'm working out!

I enjoyed the challenge of having the 30 Day Shred to do every day and now I've started ChaLean Extreme and already loving that too! I think I put more effort in if I'm at home, I love my morning workouts too and that wouldn't be possible to get to the gym before work.

I think it's just each to their own with this one though - I do like the gym, I just prefer home workouts :)
    -x-x-
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I prefer the home workouts as I feel they are very accessible. I used to go to the gym with a friend, and had a year long membership. As my friend stopped going, there was no one to push me and I stopped too. My biggest problem used to be to go there to do it. and I could not do it anytime I wanted.

With home workouts, they are right there and I can start immediately.