Is it running?

Options
JenAndSome
JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
So I went out yesterday and walked the B-line trail and as I was walking I realized that other than the occasional elderly couple, everyone else was running past me. I looked so lame. I decided that when I got to one end of the trail I would turn around and give running a try. (I haven't ran since high school gym class.) So I did it. I turned around and moved my butt until I got to the 1 mile mark and then I resumed walking while trying to catch my breath and not pass out. I timed it at 9 minutes 20 seconds. I was pretty proud of myself until I went home and told my boyfriend who said, "Oh, so you jogged, not ran." :angry: Seriously??!! He's sitting at home doing the 12 oz curls and I actually challenged myself and he's going to crap on my parade? He says that 9:20/mile is not running and he just wanted to correct me. Will somebody please tell me if I ran or jogged?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There is no difference as far as I'm concerned. You ran. You jogged. Same difference. Both feet were off the ground at the same time. It's running. Nicely done.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its all relevant to your own personal speed. And in the end, who cares! Don't let him rain on your parade. No matter what you do you're moving and that's what counts :-)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    "In jogging, the speed is generally considered to be less than 9MPH, while in running, the speed is normally more than 9MPH. "

I 'run' at slower speeds because I am shortie
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There is no difference as far as I'm concerned. You ran. You jogged. Same difference. Both feet were off the ground at the same time. It's running. Nicely done.

This.

I average about a 9:00-9:30 pace when I run, and that isn't bad at all for a 34-year-old woman like myself. Heck, it isn't bad at all for anyone. My PR for a mile is currently 7:56, and trust me, I was *working* for that! It sounds like your boyfriend is defining running as sprint speed, not sustainable speed, and IMO, that's crap. It's also crap that he would say anything that is not some variation on, "That's great, good for you!"
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I run a 10 minute mile. And darn it, I RUN!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    There is no official cut-off point of what is a "jog" and what is a "run." The only people who will tell you that there is are elite runners who want to insist that what they do is different from what you (we) do. Don't even get in this argument. They are just more advanced than we are at the same sport. Don't sweat it! We're beginners!
  • tobd55
    tobd55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are runners and there are walkers. I run 13 minute miles. I am a runner
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in the final week of couch 2 5k and I "ran" 30 minutes straight today. My pace was 13:57/mile so you were faster than me and I thought I was doing really good. Don't let him get you down! :flowerforyou:
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been training for 7 months and my mile pace is 9 mins (5K time) and I believe I run. Keep going you are doing great. Don't let anyone bring you down!!!
  • JenHol79
    JenHol79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my husband.......you're just jogging! THANKS! Its all the same to me too. A for effort is the way I look at it. Im slow but at least Im out there trying is the way I see it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    "In jogging, the speed is generally considered to be less than 9MPH, while in running, the speed is normally more than 9MPH. "
    Horse hockey!

That's ~6:40 minute mile. There aren't many that can run that pace. Running is defined as both feet being off the ground at some point in the motion. If one foot is still in contact with the ground at all times, it's walking.
  • jdod13
    jdod13 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes you were running. Period. Jogging is what we did in the 80's with the neon track suits. No matter what speed you are moving as long as you are not walking, skipping, jumping or crawling - you are running.
  • JenHol79
    JenHol79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ive been running for a few months now and I went from 13 min mile to about 10 1/2 now - youre time is great
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It's not a make it or break it argument, it just got under my skin. I now feel vindicated.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    There are runners and there are walkers. I run 13 minute miles. I am a runner

Love this response. Yes, you ran.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I run at about 10min mile and I am running besides you have to take baby steps don't get injured trying to go to fast to soon like I did.
  • weightingitout88
    Options
    I run races, marathons, etc... and well, I started out my first half marathon at an 8:58min pace, not much different than yours, but I STILL RAN THAT THING. lol. You're running, be proud, and way to go!
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    9:20 min/mile is amazing and is definitely running! I RUN an 11:00 min/mil. Getting both feet off the ground and attempting to go faster than your walking speed is running. Don't let him discourage you.
  • larryjbird
    larryjbird Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you did a mile in 9:20, I say you can call it whatever the heck you want. Next to me you'd look like you were flying. Good job!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Horse hockey!

That's ~6:40 minute mile. There aren't many that can run that pace. Running is defined as both feet being off the ground at some point in the motion. If one foot is still in contact with the ground at all times, it's walking.

QFT.

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Definition of RUN

intransitive verb
    a : to go faster than a walk; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step