Any other Type 1 Diabetics?

Options
I have a few T1 friends on my list, but wondered if anyone else has T1 (or even T2) diabetes. I use an insulin pump to manage my blood sugar, and try to save enough calories to help me fight lows when they happen. I've got lots of friends with both types of diabetes, and since I was originally diagnosed at 23 years old and was thought to be type 2, I've learned quite a bit about both forms of diabetes. Just curious if there were others :)

Replies

• jaryan1
    jaryan1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! My 6 year old son was diagnosed a little over a year ago with T1D. He of course doesn't use MFP. But just wanted to say hi. :)
  • r1049
    r1049 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have type 1 and i'm on an insulin pump aswell!
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    Hello! My 6 year old son was diagnosed a little over a year ago with T1D. He of course doesn't use MFP. But just wanted to say hi. :)

I have a 6-year old son, too. Hi to you and yours!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

T2 insulin dependent diabetic for 30 years. I've managed to reduce both my basal and bolus needs significantly since my join date.
    MFP has literally been a lifeline for me in gaining tighter blood sugar controls and diabetes management.
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    Hi there,

T2 insulin dependent diabetic for 30 years. I've managed to reduce both my basal and bolus needs significantly since my join date.
    MFP has literally been a lifeline for me in gaining tighter blood sugar controls and diabetes management.

I'm also on about half the insulin I used to need since I've started watching my diet more closely and lost weight. The biggest trick is just making sure I don't go too low after exercise.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have had Type 1 diabetes for 21 years. I also use an insulin pump. Feel free to add me!
  • knackarsch
    Options
    My husband has type 1 diabetes since age 19. It's been a learning experience since we got married in September.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm also on about half the insulin I used to need since I've started watching my diet more closely and lost weight. The biggest trick is just making sure I don't go too low after exercise.

Congrats on reducing your meds. Same juggling act here, I feel like I'm pulling the lever at the slots whenever testing these days.
  • Sweetie1429
    Sweetie1429 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    T1D for 16 years. I use pump too. Request send :)
  • brehemp
    brehemp Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been T1 for going on 9 years. Any tips on losing the weight?? I have about 10 lbs to lose to be back to my high school weight!
  • joannabanana22
    Options
    I have been a type 1 diabetic for 10 years, and have gained weight ever since being diagnosed. Working out is difficult due to adjusting insulin and having to intake more calories to fight sugar lows.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am a type I diabetic on an insulin pump as well. I have been able to decrease my insulin from 155+ units per day to less than 25 since losing weight. I was diagnosed when I was 15 and was put on a pump when I was 30.
    Nice to meet other type I's!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    T1 here just dx in January of this year at the age of 60. Had the usual must be a T2 since you're not a kid. but I was in DKA at presentation, BMI 24 and very insulin sensitive. Made my primary do the antibody testing that proved I'm a T1. Just started with my T-slim pump 3 weeks ago, and on the dexcom G4 the month before. Has been quite the learning curve.
    Had all my numbers worked out for pump start then had a job change activity wise that messed that up! Then went on vacation to NH that included a couple of days of hiking. Talk about exercise lows followed by exercise highs! That was a fun rollercoaster! However I managed to come home without gaining anything. My BG average for that week on the other hand was crap!
    Just now getting back to "normal" and redoing all my basal checks etc.
    You've come to a great place with lots of good people with a lot of good information to share.

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • grams579
    grams579 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a type 1 for a little more than 4 years. I know no one else who's a type 1 and would love to see hear any words of encouragement, seems like having this additional piece makes things a little harder.
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a type 1 and have been for 31 years, I still use insulin pens and have an insulinx machine (told to me by diabetes educator that it is the poor mans pump) to help me work out what I need.