Is it running?

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    "In jogging, the speed is generally considered to be less than 9MPH, while in running, the speed is normally more than 9MPH. "
    Horse hockey!

That's ~6:40 minute mile. There aren't many that can run that pace. Running is defined as both feet being off the ground at some point in the motion. If one foot is still in contact with the ground at all times, it's walking.

Thank you for this...I've improved my speed from 13 minute miles 2 years ago, to average 10:30/11 minute miles, and even though I may be considered a turtle by some, I AM A RUNNER. And I've never had an "elite" runner tell me it's not running.

:smile:
  • Freyafleur
    Options
    Running and jogging is the same thing :) well done for giving it a go!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It is running! I havent seen anyone full speed running at the park unless they are in track or training for a speed race. I love to jog and the more you do it the better your endurance will be. Dont listen to him, people are always going to try to point out what you did wrong. I think you did fantastic and WTG for deciding to run after being motivated by other people at your park!! :wink:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    :laugh: He's a poop.

You were running. I "run" a 20+ minute mile.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    There is no difference as far as I'm concerned. You ran. You jogged. Same difference. Both feet were off the ground at the same time. It's running. Nicely done.

This 100%. And that is an excellent pace for someone who just up and decided to run a mile. Great work!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others....I just started running/jogging/whatever and I am about 13:30 for a mile.....I don't care...I run and that is more than someone on the couch. Matter of fact I'm considering doing the Couch to 5K myself and while my husband (at 6'5") can run at 9min miles and me at 5'2" at 13min miles I'm still happy. People need to learn to support and encourage others regardless of the speed or time. YOU GO GIRL. :)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you should not be focusing on your speed if you are not used to running. You will get hurt that way. Tell your boyfriend to bugger off.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I went out yesterday and walked the B-line trail and as I was walking I realized that other than the occasional elderly couple, everyone else was running past me. I looked so lame. I decided that when I got to one end of the trail I would turn around and give running a try. (I haven't ran since high school gym class.) So I did it. I turned around and moved my butt until I got to the 1 mile mark and then I resumed walking while trying to catch my breath and not pass out. I timed it at 9 minutes 20 seconds. I was pretty proud of myself until I went home and told my boyfriend who said, "Oh, so you jogged, not ran." :angry: Seriously??!! He's sitting at home doing the 12 oz curls and I actually challenged myself and he's going to crap on my parade? He says that 9:20/mile is not running and he just wanted to correct me. Will somebody please tell me if I ran or jogged?

you ran. you are a runner. you run.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    well considering i just felt soooooo accomplished when i RAN a 9:36 mile and you beat that on your first adult try

YOU RAN, without a doubt
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep, I aspire to a 9:20 mile! I RAN 10 miles on Sunday, 13 min pace! You should be very proud and I highly encourage you to keep running! (p.s. runners are very positive people, and generally encourage you no matter what your pace is, it's why I really love races, the last person in usually gets some awesome cheering!) IMO, anyone who nit picks over other people's times is not a true runner and just doesn't get it. Keep it up!
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    In my best shape, fit and running 5ks no problem, I run an 11min mile. A sprint, like think my legs are going to come unhinged, is an 8 minute mile for me and I can do that for like 30 seconds at a time. You ran, and for not having run since HS you ran fast.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Jogging, running....what's the difference. It's faster than walking. There is a point when both feet are up off the ground, and it isn't on an ottoman in front of the t.v. You should be VERY proud of yourself.

I run at 5 mph. Very slowly in my opinion. But, so what. I am sweating like a pig at the 30 min mark, and I can sure feel the workout.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you run a mile walk a mile, it's running. Just FYI, in the 22-26 YO Female scoring for the Army Physical Fitness Test, the passing score on the 2 mile run requires a pace faster than 9:27 per mile. Keep going and tell him to try to keep up!!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I run 10-12 min miles. You can call it whatever you want and your boyfriend is being dumb.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Definitely running, dictionary definitions aside. Jogging to me implies a slow, easy, indefinitely sustainable pace - what that pace may be entirely depends on the individual. I jog at 5.2 mph. I run at 6.5 mph.

Also, I completely hate people like you who haven't run in forever, decide to try it, run a mile, and match the time it took me a year to work up to. :angry: You're awesome, don't let him try to knock down your achievement!
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    Faster than me. I better start training harder!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It's not the speed, it's the technique. When I was doing low heart rate training, I had a few miles in excess of 18 minutes. It was painfully slow and I had to take little baby steps, but it was running. And it certainly wasn't faster than walking.
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In high school I ran just over 5:30 a mile. Now at 43, I run 9:45 minute a mile pace.....you did it, you did great, dont let him brin you down from that high you felt!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Why do u care what others think about what you do? That's no way to live life.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You ran an entire mile straight through? BRAVO!!!