How do you know how many calories you're burning?

Options
I just started week 1 of couch to 5k but don't know how to log that in my exercise diary. How do I know how many calories I am burning? Do I go by what my treadmill says?

Thanks, Monica

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different so you could use what the treadmill says as a basic guideline but really you need a good heart rate monitor to get the best estimate.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For now, I take the machine's word for what it says I burn. Most people have said that the machines are way too high---so with that, I never eat all of my exercise calories!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use my Polar Ft7, there is a huge difference on what it says and the machine and even this webpage says I burn. I go by it.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    The machines have NEVER been way to high for me actually the oppoiste they have always been way to LOW- I love my heart rate monitor its the bestest ever. I never have to worry about guessing if I decided to run out side, do a work out video, play dodge ball whaterver i doesn't matter my trusty hrm tells me everything i need to know. I absototalutely LOVE it!!
  • cmcavoy
    cmcavoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How would you guys record something like p90x or a workout video similar?
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor has no real edge over online calculators such as this site or treadmill calculators in calculating calories burned. Although, thanks to a lot of clever marketing (only inthe US it seems, not over here) this is not the public perception.
    In reality, this talk of calories burned being different for everyone isn't true - if 10 people all of the same weight get on a treadmill and do the exact same routine then the calories burned will be identical, give or take one or two. And the treadmills own calculator will probably be the most accurate reading of what that amount actually is. But like online calculators and HRM's, it is still just an estimate and should be used as a guide only!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor has no real edge over online calculators such as this site or treadmill calculators in calculating calories burned. Although, thanks to a lot of clever marketing (only inthe US it seems, not over here) this is not the public perception.
    In reality, this talk of calories burned being different for everyone isn't true - if 10 people all of the same weight get on a treadmill and do the exact same routine then the calories burned will be identical, give or take one or two. And the treadmills own calculator will probably be the most accurate reading of what that amount actually is. But like online calculators and HRM's, it is still just an estimate and should be used as a guide only!
    Wouldn't a HRM have a better estimate since it knows your HR, age, sex, height and weight?