Is it running?

Options

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    "In jogging, the speed is generally considered to be less than 9MPH, while in running, the speed is normally more than 9MPH. "

I 'run' at slower speeds because I am shortie

I think you mean 9 min mile. 9 MPH - would be a 6:40 mile - which is really REALLY fast.

To the OP. Yes - a 9:20 mile is running. And a GREAT pace if you haven't been training at all.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You ran, he sat on his *kitten*... period. Keep moving :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am a running/jogging expert. There is no technical distinction.
    You either walk, skip, or run. If you weren't walking or skipping, then you were running. Jogging is just an informal term for a very short run or a very long run taken for exercise.
    YOU ARE A RUNNER ! Tune that guy out !
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would love to "run" a 9 minute mile. I'm happy when I break 12 minutes right now.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    He's just giving you crap. Give it right back... what are those 12 oz-ers? Beer cans?
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of "Running" you want to do if your looking to get a good workout from short distance then running faster would help but I think 9min miles are awesome for long distance runners I ran 10 miles the other day at 9min a mile but if I'm going to run a mile I'm running it at 7.5 so that I know I'm working my body, either way I think if you not walking your running, LoL tell your boyfriend next time to come out with you and you guys can race!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    There is no difference as far as I'm concerned. You ran. You jogged. Same difference. Both feet were off the ground at the same time. It's running. Nicely done.

Oh, now I'm going to fall off the treadmill trying to check my feet :laugh:

Seriously, I am a granny.
    I go 5mph.
    I'm no Olympian track star.
    But it sure ain't walking!
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    9:20 min/mile is amazing and is definitely running! I RUN an 11:00 min/mil. Getting both feet off the ground and attempting to go faster than your walking speed is running. Don't let him discourage you.

^ Agree! I run between a 10.20 and 11.0 mile...and I run distances of up to 15 miles. My hubby always teases me that he runs faster (and outweighs me by 100 lbs). I always tell him that he might "run" faster, but he could never hang with my distance. To each their own. When I started "running", I was at a 14-15 minute mile (walking for most). A year later, I've cut 4 minutes off my mile. Keep up the good work and don't let anyone discourage you! I WISH I was at a 9 minute mile!! :0)
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    this is a nice table that show the difference between jogging, running, and sprinting.

http://www.aprioriathletics.com/fitnessmath//pace/
  • tressatnt
    tressatnt Posts: 77
    Options
    You ran. And you ran a fantastic time for someone who hasn't run in as long as you have! Great job! Be proud, you ran!
  • Fat2FitACE
    Options
    YOU my dear....are a RUNNER!

and BTW....you lapped the guy sitting on the couch several times! If it feels good do it! Don't worry about the label focus on the feeling you have when you are done!:bigsmile:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You were definitely running! I run a 12minute/mile and trust me my legs are "running" I am 4'11:) I would love to run 9.20minute/mile! Tell your BF to kiss your rear end and shut up. Least your butt was up and moving and not glued to the couch :)
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Girl, you were running! "Jogging" is such an awful term, like it's something we lowly, out of shape people do. Thing is, many runners run that pace (myself included, well, a couple years ago anyway) and I can tell you that I was RUNNING! I worked hard and had the fitness and health and weight to prove it. You go and keep up the running! Way to go!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    There are runners and there are walkers. I run 13 minute miles. I am a runner

This! You are lapping everyone doing 12 oz curls and sitting on the couch! Rock on!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes you were running. Period. Jogging is what we did in the 80's with the neon track suits.

HA!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So I went out yesterday and walked the B-line trail and as I was walking I realized that other than the occasional elderly couple, everyone else was running past me. I looked so lame. I decided that when I got to one end of the trail I would turn around and give running a try. (I haven't ran since high school gym class.) So I did it. I turned around and moved my butt until I got to the 1 mile mark and then I resumed walking while trying to catch my breath and not pass out. I timed it at 9 minutes 20 seconds. I was pretty proud of myself until I went home and told my boyfriend who said, "Oh, so you jogged, not ran." :angry: Seriously??!! He's sitting at home doing the 12 oz curls and I actually challenged myself and he's going to crap on my parade? He says that 9:20/mile is not running and he just wanted to correct me. Will somebody please tell me if I ran or jogged?

i'm in agreement you ran there's no difference and btw the fastest i've ever run is 10:15 and i've been at it for a year now. good for you for trying it. since it's been awhile, just be careful you don't injure yourself.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    He's just giving you crap. Give it right back... what are those 12 oz-ers? Beer cans?

He was serious. He wasn't being mean, he just thought he was correcting me. His definition of running is a 7 minute mile. I told him he's full of it. And this conversation really did happen while he was holding a Bud Light.

I love the man, but sometimes I just want to flick him in the forehead.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority. It's all the same. I perfer the word running. I run 8:30 or 9 minute miles for short races, 5ks 10ks. I run 10 - 10:30 for half marathons. It's running at either pace. And if I have a bad day and drop it down to 11, it's still running.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

He was serious. He wasn't being mean, he just thought he was correcting me. His definition of running is a 7 minute mile. I told him he's full of it. And this conversation really did happen while he was holding a Bud Light.

I love the man, but sometimes I just want to flick him in the forehead.

and where did he get THAT information? tell him to put a sock in it. LOL! :) oh and if he continues challenge him to a race or better yet go to your local gym and tell him to run a 7 min mile. bet he can't.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, and your so was being a butthead :P