FitBit vs BodyBugg vs Nike+ etc

Options
I keep seeing MFP members post about their use of external devices to track. I'm keen to idea of incorporating this but I'm not sure of the products out there. I'd love to hear your success stories, thoughts, suggestions. Any information/advice is GREATLY appreciated!

--Sierra

Replies

• mybodyforlife
    mybodyforlife Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got the Bodybugg, it's so buggy that I can't sync it with my iphone, and I'm not willing to spend money on at watch to monitor my burn with the Bodybugg. So I returned it. I got Fitbit Ultra, love it, then upgraded to Fitbit One. Both Keep me motivated. I always make sure I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. I use myfitnesspal to track my food and FB for exercise.
    I never try Nike + , so no comments :).
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I use "Nike+ for running" on my Iphone to track all of my running activity and love it. As far as I know it does not sync to MFP put I have checked the mileage that it is recording and it is very accurate.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which I have "unfriended" after a while because it gave me too many calories, I thought. For running I use Runkeeper to track everything, very nice app, very reliable GPS tracking and free. However: for the next while I cannot do any heavy impact exercise and no running so I am walking a lot now and have "befriended" my Fitbit again. For walking it is quite accurate and calculates the caloric burn perfectly well. It also motivates me to keep moving ( was 54 steps short of 15K steps last night and kept walking in place in front of my bed :drinker: I like that the Fitbit does NOT have to be worn around my arm. I have read on different websites, that after wearing the BMF for a while AND doing weights, it can leave kind of dent on your arm:noway:
  • imgr8stmom
    imgr8stmom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have used Body Media, which is the same as Body Bug I think. I used it for several months, and had pretty good sucess with it. I believe you can also sync it with MFP. The Body Media really took the guess work out of what you were actually burning, so you knew what you could spend on eating. For instance, I know that on days I workout, i burn about 2800 for the day, on days I don't, I only burn about 2200. The problem with Body Media is having to wear it around your arm. It wasn't so bad during the winter when most of your clothing is long sleeves, but now that it's spring & summer, you can't really hide it, and not really wanting to explain myself.

That being said, if you are really serious about losing weight, and want the best most accurate gadget, i would highly recommend the Body Media.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    . I have read on different websites, that after wearing the BMF for a while AND doing weights, it can leave kind of dent on your arm:noway:

That's not true. When you take the armband off you may see an indentation but by the time it charges up or you shower or whatever reason you took it off, the indentation is gone. I really like mine and find it to be very accurate.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    . I have read on different websites, that after wearing the BMF for a while AND doing weights, it can leave kind of dent on your arm:noway:

That's not true. When you take the armband off you may see an indentation but by the time it charges up or you shower or whatever reason you took it off, the indentation is gone. I really like mine and find it to be very accurate.

No, it is true. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my BMF, but after wearing it for almost 1 year, my left arm looks different than my right. Really, to me, my left arm looks a little more muscley than the right. The difference may be body composition, adipose tissue...but that is just a hunch. That being said, I would NOT be without my BMF, to the point where I was devastated when I had a crack in my device and had to send it back (Luckily, I talked the customer service into sending me the replacement before I sent in the original...she was SUPER nice by the way).

I would like to wear short-sleeves without being stopped every few to explain it though.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Something else you can do is go on a website like Amazon.com and read the customer reviews of the models you are considering.