30DS not enough calories burned???

Options
I wear a HRM and only burn 200 calories doing 30DS. I'm used to burning 350-500 per workout, 6 days a week. I am planning to add extra cardio about 3 days a week, but it's so hard only burning 200 calories cause I believe in eating back exercise calories and I LOVE TO EAT!!! The before/after pics are amazing for this program but still I'm worried that I'm not burning enough calories or that I'll consistently be over my calorie goal. Anyone have any input?

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How long are those previous workouts that burned that many calories? Based on my HRM 200-250 calories per workout for 30DS was my average. And I TOO like to eat my exercise calories. I add walking and some other supplemental activities to increase my calories.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You don't burn a lot of calories doing 30DS. It's a relatively tame program made mainly for beginners. If you're already used to doing more intense workouts (which it looks like you are) there are better things out there for you.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Its a short workout, do it twice.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I also do 30DS and use a HRM and I typically burn around 320 calories during that time frame....and I also mix in some elliptical work during the day and that puts me around 500-600 calories burned

(I am VERY much a beginner btw so 30DS is perfect for me right now to start)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's a 20 minute workout, you should really be doing something else anyway. Try adding Ripped in 30 if you're into DVDs or lift some weights.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Increase your intensity or your hand weights. If that still isn't enough, then maybe it isn't for you. You might be too advanced for it, I see 30DS as a beginners program. It used to be really challenging for me, now it's TOO easy and boring. I recommend trying a more intense workout such as Insanity, P90X or RushFit. I'm currently doing RushFit and it makes 30DS look like a joke. Good luck!
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    That's about what I burned on 30DS as well, but I did get great results. If you're looking for calories to eat it won't get you there, but you could always add in a 30 minute run or another cardio workout ahead of time since it's only 20min.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM also and when I was doing Level 1 of the 30DS I was burning 167-168 per session.
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This! Increase your hand weights, and make sure you are really pushing.
    Through levels one and two, I consistently burned around 325-350. Level 3, I'm showing less on my HRM, but there is a lot of plyometrics (sp?) which a hrm won't catch, too short a burst to pick your heart rate way up. I'm still sweating as much, so I think I'm getting good results. As a guy, I find some of the upper body stuff really easy, so I have to vary my hand weights based on the exercise.
  • vy87
    vy87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try doing Level 1 as a warm up for Level 2 or 3? I've read many people does that if they find the work out too easy.
    I'm still a beginner but I plan on doing that as soon as I can!