Thoughts on Calorie intake

Options
I'm so confused as where to have my calories at. I was doing the TDEE and I just think that isn't working for me, I still feel like I need to be lower. Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you all follow MFP standards? I keep reading that it is too low.

For reference I am 212 lbs currently and 22 years old. The TDEE-20% had me at 1500 calories a day.

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    how long did you follow TDEE ? and how long had you been dieting before that ?
    is it not losing/gaining/ or what is the problem ?

TDEE - for me , for now is not working really well,
    but thats ME - not you -

I am sure others will chime in too-- need more detail
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    no i do not follow MFP..
    I have a body media fit so i eat 500 less than my TDEE daily.

Which turns out to be 2000 or so.
    Im 5ft 7 and 175 lbs.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Have you tried this site? 1500 sounds kind of low for a 20% reduction. It also depends on you activity level though.

EDIT: I just did some math for you and even at sedentary and if you were say 5'0" your TDEE-20% is still about 1700.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I use TDEE-20% and it works really well for me. I see people getting confused using MFP's method all the time and it makes me sad. I went to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and used 1-3 hours of exercise per week for my activity level. I'm 34, 5'8" tall, and currently weigh 233 lb and I get 2004 calories per day. So I use that as my upper limit and eat a bit less if I'm not active (sometimes I go over, too, we all do). My weight loss has been steady, easy, and surprisingly fast using this method.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would recalculate your TDEE, 1500 hundred sounds low, depending on what you set your activity level at. I weigh 180 and at lightly active (exercising 2-3 times a week) my TDEE -20% is around 1550.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused as where to have my calories at. I was doing the TDEE and I just think that isn't working for me, I still feel like I need to be lower. Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you all follow MFP standards? I keep reading that it is too low.

For reference I am 212 lbs currently and 22 years old. The TDEE-20% had me at 1500 calories a day.

The method is fine. If it's not working, then you're not doing it right. Either your TDEE calculation is off, or you're estimates are off when logging foods.

Since your number is so low, I'm guessing you're not logging accurately enough.

• amalzingsong
    amalzingsong Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Have you tried this site? 1500 sounds kind of low for a 20% reduction. It also depends on you activity level though.

EDIT: I just did some math for you and even at sedentary and if you were say 5'0" your TDEE-20% is still about 1700.

Won't I gain eating higher though? Also, to everyone who has asked I have been dieting about a month and a half and following TDEE-20% (or what I thought it was) for about 3 weeks. I have gained about 3-5 lbs which could just be water weight and have been trying to exercise at least three days a week.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Won't I gain eating higher though? Also, to everyone who has asked I have been dieting about a month and a half and following TDEE-20% (or what I thought it was) for about 3 weeks. I have gained about 3-5 lbs which could just be water weight and have been trying to exercise at least three days a week.

You've been at this for 6 weeks, already changed your approach once, and are now considering changing it again? You need to pick something and go with it for a month or longer before you can really evaluate its effectiveness.
  • amalzingsong
    Options

You've been at this for 6 weeks, already changed your approach once, and are now considering changing it again? You need to pick something and go with it for a month or longer before you can really evaluate its effectiveness.

This is true. When eating, though, can you eat anything or do you have to maintain a certain percentage to lose the weight?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

This is true. When eating, though, can you eat anything or do you have to maintain a certain percentage to lose the weight?

To simply see the number on the scale go down, you can eat basically whatever you want. If your diet is excessively unbalanced you may run into problems (especially if it's crazy carb heavy), but ultimately a deficit is a deficit and will lead ot weight loss.
  • tneedham78
    Options
    I can feel your pain. I dropped 15 pounds and I have about 20 more to go but I hit a brick wall. I had upped my calorie intake per instructions from my trainer, but that has definitely not helped! In fact, I have gained back 5lbs over the course of the month. So I'm going to lower my calorie intake back down to where I was before. I don't follow the TDEE from MFP, instead I was trying to use one from scooby as someone stated above. But even then it is telling me to eat 1577 calories..LOL that is way to much food for me! I feel good around 1000-1200 a day. I have no idea why I'm gaining the weight back unless I am turning it into muscle. Everyone is different, I have a thyroid condition so it does affect me differently than a person with a normal metabolism.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

I was afraid of the same thing, gaining by eating more, but I finally tried it after a 3 month plateau. Two weeks later, I'm already down 2.2 lbs.
  • tneedham78
    Options
    CM9178:
    I have been at a plateau since Jan., I raised my calorie intake in Feb from about 1000 a day to roughly 1300-1400 a day. Now over the course from Feb-Apr I have gained back 5lbs. I work out 6 days a week. 2 or 3 days or weights and plus cardio and the the other days strictly cardio.
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i eat 1200 for a week then 1600 for a week and then 1350 for a week and then repeat. it have worked for my im down 46 lbs.
  • amalzingsong
    Options

To simply see the number on the scale go down, you can eat basically whatever you want. If your diet is excessively unbalanced you may run into problems (especially if it's crazy carb heavy), but ultimately a deficit is a deficit and will lead ot weight loss.

So do you recommend using Scooby's for the calorie deficit calculation? I want something accurate (or close to) so I'm not bouncing back and forth. Also, will I gain all the weight I've lost back?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

So do you recommend using Scooby's for the calorie deficit calculation? I want something accurate (or close to) so I'm not bouncing back and forth. Also, will I gain all the weight I've lost back?

It doesn't matter... All TDEE calculators use basically the same formula. All BMR calculators use basically the same formula. Pick a number and go with it... none are guaranteed to be any more accurate than another, so you'll have to pick one and try it out for a month.

I've tried a bunch of different calculators and they all put me in "the ball park"... then it's up to me to tweak as necessary.

This is not an exact science... you're going to have to do some trial and error to get started.
  • CM9178
    Options
    CM9178:
    I have been at a plateau since Jan., I raised my calorie intake in Feb from about 1000 a day to roughly 1300-1400 a day. Now over the course from Feb-Apr I have gained back 5lbs. I work out 6 days a week. 2 or 3 days or weights and plus cardio and the the other days strictly cardio.

A) 1400 may still not be enough - especially if you are working out that much

B) It could be muscle or water retention

Have you actually calculated your TDEE based on your activity level?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

If you're doing it right, it really doesn't matter whether you use the TDEE method or the NEAT method (MFP method)...they're really 6 of 1 if you're doing them right.

MFP had me at 1750 calories to lose 1 Lb per week...plus 300 exercise calories on average per day = 2,050 gross calories per day. TDEE method includes all of my exercise...TDEE = 2550 * 80% = 2040 gross calories...10 calorie difference between methods to lose 1 Lb per week.

What's more important is that you pick a method...stick with it and be consistent in what you are doing. Also, about 9x out of 10 when "it isn't working" it is because there is a calorie estimation error...either underestimating consumption or overestimating burn or activity level. Failure to measure and weigh food and realize proper portions is an easy way for calories to creep in. When I first started for example, I didn't realize that a "chicken breast" meant 4 oz of chicken breast...I just thought it was "chicken breast"...so I'd grill up a whole breast which on average is about double the serving size. Stuff like that can really mess you up.
  • CM9178
    Options

That's the one I used, and it worked for me.
    And I highly doubt you are going to gain all the weight back that you've lost. Maybe a pound or two initially, just make sure to do the increase gradually, not all at once.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

If you're doing it right, it really doesn't matter whether you use the TDEE method or the NEAT method (MFP method)...they're really 6 of 1 if you're doing them right.

MFP had me at 1750 calories to lose 1 Lb per week...plus 300 exercise calories on average per day = 2,050 gross calories per day. TDEE method includes all of my exercise...TDEE = 2550 * 80% = 2040 gross calories...10 calorie difference between methods to lose 1 Lb per week.

What's more important is that you pick a method...stick with it and be consistent in what you are doing. Also, about 9x out of 10 when "it isn't working" it is because there is a calorie estimation error...either underestimating consumption or overestimating burn or activity level. Failure to measure and weigh food and realize proper portions is an easy way for calories to creep in. When I first started for example, I didn't realize that a "chicken breast" meant 4 oz of chicken breast...I just thought it was "chicken breast"...so I'd grill up a whole breast which on average is about double the serving size. Stuff like that can really mess you up.

I agree on all accounts.

So many people get wrapped up in which method is more accurate or which method works better. They do the same damn thing, they just get to the same end point via different routes. So it's really just a matter of personal preference.