Early weeks C25K - is this enough exercise?

Options
Hi, I'm a speed walker just starting c25k. I work out on the other days with weights. I'm in pretty good shape. I decided I wanted to run, so in order to ease into it, I started c25k. Love it! But here's the thing. When I would walk, I would get a great workout walking hard, fast, up hills and for a good hour. I did w2d2 today and was shocked when the app announced it was time for the cooldown walk for 5 minutes. I glanced at my phone, and I had only been out 20 minutes. I wanted to keep going but didn't want to risk injury.

This just doesn't seem enough. I'm seriously thinking of adding an at home workout on c25k days just to get a decent workout in. Either that or I may skip ahead. I think one of the beauties of this program is that it gives you just enough to want more.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• kmrbriscoe
    kmrbriscoe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in week 4 of C25K and it starts to ramp up significantly in week 4. I have been working out in a gym on the elliptical for over a year and found weeks 1-3 pretty easy. I would just add in an extra run session or two and add my own cooldown at the end.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    C25k is literally means "Couch to 5k." If you're already in reasonably good shape, it's probably too easy...it is truly meant to get some sedentary *kitten* moving.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Thank you kmrbriscoe. Good to know things will ramp up. I do add an extra run at the end and most times I start running before they say to. It's so much stinkin' fun! Good luck!

edit: also thank you cwolfman13. I think will add more. Thanks!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I would either skip ahead until you are being significantly challenged by the run times (and/or increase your pace) or add in some of your speed walking at the end to get you up to the hour that you are used to.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Thank you kmrbriscoe. Good to know things will ramp up. I do add an extra run at the end and most times I start running before they say to. It's so much stinkin' fun! Good luck!

edit: also thank you cwolfman13. I think will add more. Thanks!

Ironically, I usually end up continuing the program through the whole cooldown myself, I keep with whatever week I'm on and just keep going with the schedule it is.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Skip ahead. If you are already a speed walker the your lower legs and feet are already largely conditioned and the chance of injury is greatly lowered.

Another option (I did it this way) is just to go out for a 3 mile run. Run as far as you can and when you can't go any further do run walk intervals until you finish the 3 miles. Do this 3 or 4 times a week. Each time you will find the initial run goes further and the wak breaks get shorter. In a few weeks you will be able to run the whole way.

As you should always do, pay attention to how you feel and if something starts hurting unnaturally then back off until it doesn't hurt anymore.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Skip ahead. If you are already a speed walker the your lower legs and feet are already largely conditioned and the chance of injury is greatly lowered.

Another option (I did it this way) is just to go out for a 3 mile run. Run as far as you can and when you can't go any further do run walk intervals until you finish the 3 miles. Do this 3 or 4 times a week. Each time you will find the initial run goes further and the wak breaks get shorter. In a few weeks you will be able to run the whole way.

As you should always do, pay attention to how you feel and if something starts hurting unnaturally then back off until it doesn't hurt anymore.

I will agree with Scott. You are pretty far advanced for C25K. You were speed walking, not sitting on a couch. I would just start running provided you have good running shoes fitted at a running store. Running isn't walking.

And then skip on over to Bridge to 10K B210K.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I would either skip ahead until you are being significantly challenged by the run times (and/or increase your pace) or add in some of your speed walking at the end to get you up to the hour that you are used to.

If you walked at a mall pace, you would do 5K in a hour. Sounds like you should be doing B210K.
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'll definitely skip ahead, and I love Scott's idea. <3
    Options
    Thank you again peeps! I went out this am and ran as much as I wanted. I probably could have done more, but was conservative. This is just so much dang fun! I also stopped with that jog at a snail's pace stuff. I wasn't exactly going for speed, but it was much much better to run rather than shuffle along. Cannot wait to go out again!

Thanks again. <3