Work lunch ideas anyone?

Options

Replies

• Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna/chicken salad, try this:

Peel cucumber, cut it into thick round slices, scoop out the inside and stuff it with Tuna/chicken salad. Instead of mayo, use avocado as the binder.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from last night's dinner are my staple for lunchtime. Sometimes I need to excersize more portion control with this but it saves me time and money, prepare once and eat it twice. Works best if you have a method ov reheating at you workplace (microwave, toaster oven)
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    I'm a snacker, so I bring a variety of snacks and then I just grab them through out the day when I am hungry;

Avacado with a can of chicken mixed with a little miraclewhip
    carrots and Bolthouse yogurt ranch dressing
    apple with peanutbutter
    cheese stick
    salami
    oranges
    olives (i'm addicted to olives)
    left overs from dinner
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    cucumbers
    jalapenos with peanutbutter is delicious
    nuts
    dried bananas
    Banana with peanutbutter
    pears
    strawberries
    couscous (its great cold)
    If I am feeling adventurous and have more time I might throw a salad together
    and tea

I pick a few of the above each day.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I got myself one of these lunchboxes:

22247_1?$productZoom$&wid=400&hei=400&fit=fit,1

I bring a salad (with protein added: chicken or crumbled cheese) & veggies; fruit on the other side (apples, blueberries, strawberries, etc); veggies (steamed green beans are my favorite; considering adding sliced peppers); and in the other compartment sometimes cheese & crackers, or other snacky-type item (today it's a slice of raisin bread). It's great for leftovers too.

I've been bringing lunch and having such a great variety of healthy food after I got the little lunchbox. I don't know what it is about it, but I love putting the food in the compartments and making myself a healthy lunch.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have a llarge sized apple (2 servings), 1 whole bannana about 1.5 to 2 servings and dip it in in 1 serving 2percent Fage Yogurt maybe a couple clementines also.
  • llabbott77
    Options
    I buy the Starkist Ready-Made Tuna Salad Lunch To-Go kit's they cost less than $2 a piece require no refrigeration and are 200 calories.
  • glassc12
    glassc12 Posts: 3
    Options
    I like to bring for lunch...

Tyson Frozen Fajita Strips
    Uncle Bens Brown Rice (microwaveable bag 90 seconds)
    Pictsweet Frozen Steamable Broccoli
    Smart Balance Butter (for my rice and broccoli)
    Tony Chachere's for seasoning

Very easy to fix. Not much preping needed.
  • rosiesmama
    rosiesmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Leftovers. Always leftovers. It's cheap. It's easy (I just pack it up after dinner). And, I've already entered it, so it's a food diary no-brainer. Failing that, our cafeteria has a potato/sweet potato bar. I have a sad addiction to the fake 'cheez' sauce, but usually manage to forgo that and use the chili instead. Also very easy to enter into the food diary.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of raw, unsalted nuts make a great snack. Mix a tablespoon of reduced sugar craisins and you have a tasty trail mix. I mostly eat sandwiches for lunch but in a whole wheat pita pocket to save on cals. Plus I have two pieces of fruit, general one that's 50-100 cals and a quarter cup of berries.
  • Janalynrenee18
    Janalynrenee18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread- 2 slices for 45 cals, Then i use honey ham, sargento thin sliced colby jack cheese and a tiny bit of mayo- STILL a very low calorie sandwich that doesnt taste like Im eating a DRY sandwich. You could always use avocado spread instead of mayo for less calories.

I also eat oikos greek yogurt... the key lime is to die for!

Honey wheat pretzels and dip them in a 35 calorie laughing cow cheese wedge!

sometimes I throw some fruit in there... or I keep fruit for a snack :)

Its around a 500 calorie lunch and I always feel content and pretty filled.
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kdarcy66
    kdarcy66 Posts: 2
    Options
    I bought a small crockpot and leave it at work. I bring a lot of Trader Joe meals and heat up in crock pot. Delicious, high protein, and the calories are controlled. Most of their frozen or refrigerated meals are for 2 servings so I do this with a co-worker and it works out perfectly. We feel very satisfied. If I want to add a side sometimes I will make some of their frozen brown rice. This has worked out very well!
  • lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Swet potatoes cooked in the microwave (you could do this before you leave for work) and then stuff it with black beans and avacado and salsa...its so good! Tuna ready to go kits are great ...add some turkey pepperonnis are great to add protein to salads as well.
  • lilyclaark
    lilyclaark Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have this a lot! Just take any kind of fruit you have in the house, so apples, strawberries, blueberries- whatever! And eat them mixed with yogurt! Add almonds, they add crunch, taste great, and I hear almonds actually help with burning fat! I sometimes add some flax seed, but just add anything that you think would taste good with fruit and yogurt :) It's really filling and so you don't need to worry about snacking!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    do you have fridge microwave???

carrots and hummus
    carrots peanut butter (the to go kind)
    carrots and spinach dip
    salsa and salad
    leftovers from dinner
    uncle bens ready rice
    mini cups of fruit and cottage cheese
    pre baked sweet potatoes with salt and pepper
    boiled eggs with brown mustard
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i always bring fruit with me, apples pears grapes or banana.
    as a main dish for lunch, i like to bring homemade soup from the slow cooker. super easy, just throw together mass veggies, meat if you want, broth and cook it all day. i make a weeks worth of soup for lunch or dinner.
    i love oatmeal as well, so i bring that and mix in unsweetened applsauce and cinnamon, or chocolate protein powder.
    i love a huge salad as well with avocado, chick peas, peppers, mushroom, red onion, cucumbers, cheese, meatless chicken strips and a dressing
    or leftovers, today i brought leftover rice with veggies and put soy sauce on it.
    a chilled pasta salad would be good too, with an italian dressing and olives, peppers, other vegetables mixed in.
    other snacks i bring sometimes are string cheese, wheat thins and hummus, veggies and hummus, yogurt, banana oatmeal cookies that i make, or protein bars homemade or store bought.
    chickpeas mashed with avocado and add a little mayo and some spices is delish, you can eat it on top of a salad, or on a sandwich thin or something, or on crackers or plain.
    i love my food cold so i don't mind bringing soup or leftovers, but if you don't like cold leftovers it could be more tricky.
    also a bagel with cream cheese, red onion and lettuce is tasty
  • mlogdog
    mlogdog Posts: 5
    Options
    This week, I've been bringing in 1 avocado and 1/2 a large sweet potato for lunch - extremely tasty and filling. For snacks, my go-to's are whole natural almonds, baby carrots, dried figs, and clementines. I'm a big fan, too, of making an avocado sandwich with a slice of cheese and some mustard -- very tasty!

When I'm not bringing lunch, the chickpea veggie salad from Potbelly is really tasty, too.

Mark
  • melinda2538
    melinda2538 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A co-worker inspired me to do my own Q-doba style naked burritos. I make everything at home the night before. Brown rice, a little chicken, a lot of veggies and you can eat it warm or cold. The possibilites with this are endless. Another good thing for inspiration is signing up for a co-op. Every week I get a crate of locally grown veggies and what I get is a total surprise. I love it - I rarely eat the same thing two weeks in a row.:smile:
  • Mforman60
    Options
    I buy cans of chicken at Sam's Club. I mix that with premade salad and bring that to work at least twice a week. Throw in some slivered almonds and low fat buffalo salad dressing.
  • brender88
    brender88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love the Salad in a mason jar idea :flowerforyou: