Toes go numb on elliptical

Options

Replies

• GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got for this problem was sliding your foot all the way forward in the pedal and placing your toes on the top edge of the pedal so your weight is on your heels (I hope that made sense) but it really helps. You don't want to pedal like this the whole time but doing it for a few minutes throughout the work out. Try it out and let me know if it worked for you. :)
  • jlaidley21
    Options
    Try making your sneakers looser, when you work out your feet actually swell a little. When I started running I would tie my shoes really tight and I actually ended up hurting my self. Try loosening then more at the bottom toward your toes, but don't make them so loose they fall off. Hope this helps! It helped me running and using the elliptical!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Mine do after about 10-15 minutes .....sucks!!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue and couldn't get rid of it, then I switched to running and haven't missed that elliptical one bit.

Ditto
  • CoffeeAndCrazy
    CoffeeAndCrazy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm only 20, but I had that problem. And soon after the numbness I would get HORRIBLE burning pin-pricking pains in all my toes. My doctor says I have neuropathy. Now it happens any time I'm on my feet more than 5 minutes or so. I've learned to deal with it. When it wakes me up at night I rush to the freezer and put my feet on a bag of frozen veggies. Makes the pain stop instantly and it's funny at least.
  • carissaharkins
    carissaharkins Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! They still go numb a little bit but i completely loosen my shoe strings so I have free movement of my feet! Makes it a little bit better!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I need new shoes.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    never had that happen to me, getting ready to get on it now as a matter of fact....:)
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ditto... read a useful article... says to stay flat on your feet, like many have said....
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/01/26/top-10-mistakes-make-on-elliptical-trainer/
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think someone already said this, but try changing the incline.

The same thing used to happen to me when I road my mountain bike, until I lowered the saddle a bit. I have a feeling the principle is the same. So by changing the incline you will shortening your stride and reducing the length of your stride may help.

I use my elliptical barefoot sometimes and have never had a problem. =)
  • Kath1768
    Kath1768 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think I have just figured out why this happens to me, so I'm sharing in case it might be the cause for others. I believe it is a result of a sadle bone deformity. If you have a bony bump on top of your foot, this could be the problem.
  • boogiewoogiekar
    Options
    Bend your knees and stay back on your heals. This used to happen to me but I was given that advice. The tendency is to lean forward too much. Not a problem once I corrected the posture.

^^This!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes! Must be something about the mechanics of the movement since it's so common.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes it happens to me, but I've learned to change my stance and move my feet around on the paddles. I discovered doing squats while on the elliptical is a killer burn, and gets your feet in a new position.
  • Janalynrenee18
    Janalynrenee18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, and I asked my chiropractor, as well as my trainer and they both said shoes... I had nikes and they said they are made on the narrow side- They recommended New Balance or a show that allows your foot to expand when you step- If you have WIDE feet you need to have WIDE shoes!

I had nikes in the size I normally wear- and I could not feel my whole foot after 5 mins... I got new shoes- wide with- very light weight- Actually- they were Champion shoes from Payless that are made for running- very light weight and breathable... I wasnt sure this cheap shoe would do the trick... but NO numbness and it cost me 30 bucks... cute hot pink shoes... http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10266&skuId=125535085&productId=70782&lotId=125535&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

very recommended by me - 280lbs- wide feet!

Now I can go 45 mins straight on the Eliptical... and NO numbness... twards the end ya sure but thats normal
  • prowebdeveloper
    Options
    I have this same problem, today I was using the elliptical, without shoes, just had socks on, and my toes on my right foot went numb after 10 minutes!

I tried running and my knees started to hurt! I am thinking about going to chiropractor to make sure I am aligned correctly, and don't have sciatica.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    After about 15 minutes on the elliptical my toes go numb. Does this happen to anyone else? I've tried everything from getting new shoes to limiting how much my foot moves while striding to adjusting where I place my feet on the pedals. Suggestions?

I didn't read the entire thread to see if someone else had already answered with 'why,' but I asked my Physical Therapist about this a few months ago. He said it has to do with a nerve being compressed in the bottom of the foot while on the elliptical. It has improved some as I've lost more weight but still happens. When it does I either make a conscious effort to lift my feet from the pedals once in a while or simply get off of the elliptical, walk around the gym for a couple of minutes and get back on.
  • lyoung79
    lyoung79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    happens to me the more i use the machine it seems to be taking a bit longer before it happens compared to when I first started.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yup! Every time! All my research concurs with the previous comments about your nerves being pinched in your feet.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Bend your knees and stay back on your heals. This used to happen to me but I was given that advice. The tendency is to lean forward too much. Not a problem once I corrected the posture.

I lose feeling id most of my feet using the elliptical. If I use this method thought then I will get the feeling back after a couple of minutes :)