Eliptical vs. Tredmill

Options
What do you think gives you a better workout and faster weight loss eliptical or the tredmill?

Replies

• MoMmErSoF3
    MoMmErSoF3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I dont really think either one of them will help you lose weight faster than the other...But i do love the way ellipitcals make my legs feel after a great workout.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Treadmill for sure! I have an elliptical and liked it because it is low impact and quiet. The machine grossly overestimated my calorie burn by about 3x. I still use it as part of my general routine but rely on my HRM for actual calories burned. It wasn't until I started walking (and eventually running) that I noticed the biggest change in the shape of my body. I think it's great to vary your workout routine but for a go to workout...I'd skip my elliptical in favor of the treadmill any day.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eliptical has lower impact but the potential is there to burn more cals on the treadmill, I use both and alternate
  • snowyowl74
    Options
    Running will give you the biggest calorie burn for your buck! If you're walking on the treadmill, I'd say the elliptical is comparable. Just depends on which motion is more comfortable for you. Lower impact and more fluid motion on the elliptical.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They are both good. However I found my heartrate goes up on the eliptical because your moving your arms in a way of pushing and pulling. The fact is that your moving on one of these machines which is awesome and I love the new egeromic designs which makes it easier on the joints.

Jenny R
  • cpendergrass
    cpendergrass Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really like the eliptical better. I like that it's low-impact as well. I do vary b/w the eliptical and treadmill, but I'd choose the eliptical over the treadmill any day.
  • rofrewin
    rofrewin Posts: 6
    Options
    It seems to be how long you work out that is important too so if you can keep going for 40 minutes on the eliptical but can only manage 10 on the treadmill, even though you burn calories quicker on the treadmill you'll burn more overall and they will be fat calories too. You could work up to running on the treadmill by building up some endurance fitness on the eliptical first.
  • lkyoung
    lkyoung Posts: 5
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. because I lost 23lbs using just the Eliptical (on hills/arobics). Just walkin or joggin on the treadmill is not enough for me. If I use da Treadmill it has to be set at a high incline and I have to walk and run in order for me to loose lbs.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I can not do the eliptical so honestly I have no idea....but i think it depends on your body and the speed etc in which you go....i have seen my aunt burn more on the eliptical than she did on the treadmill because she can do the eliptical faster and better; whereas, i burn good on the treadmill......

off subject,

but

water aerobics and calesthenics are and always produce a good burn.
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    As for faster weightloss
    ANYTHING you do to move, eat less and stay healthy
    is for faster weightloss...
    just find what you like and do it :)
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer the elliptical. I have lost 21 pounds by just using that. I have a treadmill, too, but I noticed that I burn double the calories on the elliptical by putting it on an incline or against resistance or both. I burn atleast 630 calories in a HALF hour on the elliptical, as opposed to 300 on the treadmill.
  • Cathy_5011
    Cathy_5011 Posts: 78
    Options
    I actually prefer the elliptical. I have lost 21 pounds by just using that. I have a treadmill, too, but I noticed that I burn double the calories on the elliptical by putting it on an incline or against resistance or both. I burn atleast 630 calories in a HALF hour on the elliptical, as opposed to 300 on the treadmill.

I guess I was just questioning if the cal count on the eliptical is close to acurate. I sweet more and it feels like it takes more effort to run on the treadmill. (more effort more cal right? :laugh: ) I usually burn around 400 in 40 min on the eliptical.

Just wondering what other people out there thought.

Oh does anyone know about a true cal count watch or arm band that doent break the bank?
  • Pattitude
    Pattitude Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I actually burn more calories on the elliptical versus the treadmill. I set the elliptical to "random hills" so that it adds resistance and go for 45 minutes and usually burn anywhere from 500-800 calories depending on how hard I push myself. I like the elliptical because of the low impact, which allows me to go even faster and get more of a cardiovascular workout than I would on the treadmill. When on the treadmill, I usually do an incline of anywhere from 9-13% and do a brisk walk of 3.5-4.0 mph, and 45 minutes usually only gets me 400-500 calories burned. I have had knee surgery in the past so high impact doesn't work well for me... so in all honesty, like others have said, it all depends on which machine works best for you.