Need motivation to start exercising!!

Options
Everyone must start somewhere. Where do I begin? I'm so tired and have pain in my hip. I have carpel tunnel in both wrists so can't lift weights. How did you start? Suggestions welcomed!

Replies

• threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is the pain manageable? Can you walk? What about a recumbent bike?

I literally started from 0 exercise in Sept of 2011. I started by walking down the street. I logged 4 miles for the month. The next week I walked around the block. I kept adding length to my walks, in small increments. Last month I walked 60 miles and biked 160.

I still get aches and pains, stiffness and that stuff, but it's all temporary. In comparison to 2011 I feel great. :) Good luck!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    I am with you on the hip issues - recently found out my discomfort is bone on bone............... not so good. with your hip and wrist issues - how about an elliptical? water aerobics? yoga, pilates? Lots of options - also - sit and be fit - a program on our local pbs station - mon - wed - fri - 2:30pm - gal does most of activity sitting in a chair - modify to what you are able to tolerate, can add "mini" weights - ie soup cans as tolerated.

Hope this is somewhat helpful! cheers :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • JoannMichelle
    Options
    Great suggestions! I walk the dog. When I try to go further I get the pain. Guess I'm at zero now. I get pooped out washing the floor. :ohwell:
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no fitness expert, but I can tell you what has worked for me. I have tried several different supplements for joint pain. I am currently using Move Free Ultra by Schiff. It's a tiny pill once a day. When I take it daily my hip, knee, heel pain is greatly diminished.

Another cause of your hip pain might be your shoes. When I first started walking for exercise and tried my hand at running I developed a lot of pains. Well fit shoes that were fit by a trained person at a dedicated fitness shoe store were the answer for me. They can be spendy, but are worth the money.

If you can walk the dog, walk the dog further. Take the dog home and then walk yourself. Start a competition with yourself-can you go farther each day? Walking requires no stretching, no warm up, no special equipment other than good shoes. Walking is where they start on the Biggest Loser and they are still walking for exercise at the end of Biggest Loser.

Once you build up your stamina with walking you may want to try something additional. I've found that the best motivation has to come from within. If you want to feel better and be more fit you will do it. Best wishes for much success. LG
  • threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your progress. It's a huge motivator for two reasons. One it gives me a distance to beat the next time, and two when you look back on your progress there's a lot to be proud of.

If you have a smart phone there are lots of free apps that will track your walks via gps. Or invest in a pedometer.

Bonnie
  • JoannMichelle
    Options
    I walked further last night and it was okay. I think I may need to invest in new fitness shoes. Mine feel small so I just wore my Birkis. Had some pain and back spasms but nothing I couldn't handle. I may need to check in with a chiropractor .

Hubby has some crazy hours for a few days (I have to get him to work by 2:00AM). I hope I can go shopping and get my feet measured in a few days.

I timed myself cuz I couldn't get the program to work on my cell phone. DH fixed that when I got home. He's the techie in the house.

Thank you for the great suggestions!