How do I stop a binge once it's started?

Options

Replies

• Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Also love the earlier protein suggestion. Nothing smacks down hunger/cravings better than a can of tuna and a fork, and at around 120 cals it's way better than eating a doz or more cookies on a binge.
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think of my binges as grown-up temper tantrums. All the emotions, the internal shouting match between the "good eater" and the "bad eater", the guilt, the anxiety - I try to realize that my brain has gone into a chemical overdrive, like a child's tantrum, and that I need to take a moment to let it all calm down - a time out. I go sit somewhere away from food, try not to reason with my stressed out brain, until I feel calmer and my stomach unclench. Then I clean something or go for a walk, something to help lift my self esteem and distract my hands.

Good luck!

Love this.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat some chewing gum!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Also love the earlier protein suggestion. Nothing smacks down hunger/cravings better than a can of tuna and a fork, and at around 120 cals it's way better than eating a doz or more cookies on a binge.

I was going to say something similar. Last time I felt like I HAD to eat, I went to town on a rotisserie chicken and after two chicken breasts I was DONE, more than done really, and the calorie hit was nowhere near what it could have been with carby/fatty treats like cookies. If I had eaten enough protein the previous day, I could have prevented the binge, but even when the urge struck protein still knocked it out.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I go outside and distract myself. Next thing I know it's dark, I have burned off the binge doing yardwork, and feel pretty durn good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I pretty much avoided everything that made me binge the first weeks, then switched to 'healthier' junk food - protein shakes and bars for example worked wonders to give me a sweet fix. Then I bought some 100 calories chocolate bars, ice cream cones etc, and I have no problem stopping at one. I even have cookies in the pantry now. And the bag has lasted a week so far.

The rule though is to avoid the super unhealthy stuff (like 200 calories cookies), and if I have calories leftover (and fat - I try to stay in my fat macro), I'll eat something. It's been 4 months and no binge so far. Heck I haven't even craved anything. But if you have binging tendencies, and you're just starting, it's masochism to make a batch of cookies, IMO.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea!!!! I will eat a ****load of junk food if it is in the house. It is best to not have that stuff. I recently started taking Skinny Fiber(an expensive supplement) to help control my eating habits. I have noticed it has help me feel full pretty quickly after I start eating. I am willing to pay a lot to get control of my eating habits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Eat in front of the mirror naked while attempting a sexy dance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The ideas for stopping the binge is progress are good! As far as do you count the calories -- YES! In my opinion the reason this site works is accountability. To yourself mostly. But if you don't record it, does it even exist? You've "erased" it, and have no accountability ever again. Does that mean you can just do it again and "erase" it? It think the pain of seeing the calories (REAL, no cheating) wil help you not do it again so easily.

I use a weekly average as my guide, so if I blow one day I can make up for it. You may end up blowing the whole week for one or two binges, but at least you're honest. And in 3 months time if you can't figure out why you're not going anywhere you have a real record of what you did. Fess up! Even if just to yourself.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    When you bake stuff put the majority of it in the freezer straight away
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is to track your food no matter what you eat or how much if it younger. It's easy to keep shoveling things in your mouth if you tell yourself it's just a lost day and you won't count it. Absolutely count everything. Seeing the actual numbers will make you stop.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Leigh Peele did a podcast about this with some useful information
  • nataliebrynroth
    Options
    I think if you know you love, for example, ice cream.... maybe purchase a frozen pre-portioned low fat yogurt substitute instead. If you like baking cookies, then look up healthy alternatives to make & keep around. I think there's a great recipe using oats, bananas, almonds, and honey out there. If you're a cheesecake fan, look up some healthy, sugar free alternatives. I think if you take the things you love away, the urge to have them may be overpowering. Make changes to what you love to make it healthier. Pre package or portion it so that you can only have 1. Make it manageable for you. This is about making changes, not completely depriving yourself.
  • Ashleigh0124
    Options
    I just don't go near foods I know I binge on. If I have to have chocolate I buy a snack sized bar of organic dark choc and eat one or two squares at a time. I take small bites, let it melt, and concentrate on the experience. Dark choc is brilliant in the respect that it isn't as moreish as milk chocolate. The best way to stop your binge is realising that just because you've slipped up once during your day does not give you a free pass to continue to slip up - calories are calories. Aknowledge it, have a cup of tea and move on.

I know it's hard, but you have to trick your brain into thinking differently. If you can't control yourself with certain foods, avoid them for a little while until you feel that you can. This weight loss thing is all about trial and error :)
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If I bake a whole batch of cookies I can never stop at just 1 or 2. I buy the refrigerated cookie dough buttons and then just bake a couple in my toaster oven and I am done. Much easier to control eating when there are only a few laying around!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat in front of the mirror naked while attempting a sexy dance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Best answer ever for any problem.

But, seriously or rather more seriously. I always give in to my binges. And I almost always stay in my calorie goal range. OOOOOh...really. Yes, really. I binge on vegetables and protein. Just try to over eat on vegetables. I won't make it a dare cuz I am pretty sure there are people that can over eat on vegetables. I am not one of them. A bag of baby carrots is about the most damage I can do. I don't buy stuff I can't eat a lot of so, if I want something high calorie/low nutrition I have to go out to get it and that takes care of 90% of the problem.

The other thing that occurs to me is that you could limit baking time to after a largish healthy dinner. It's really hard to binge on junk when you are full of healthy food. I am sure there are people that can binge after a largish healthy meal, but again that isn't me. But, even if a person can do that, a full stomach will limit the amount of damage those cookies can do.

Oh and log everything even the binges, that way you will know how much more working out you will need to work off the binge.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    grab a mirror or stand in front of a full body mirror and keep binging and look into ur own eyes whilst doing so. you would probably stop soon enough
  • lainaR23
    lainaR23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! There was so much wisdom and support in all your posts! I haven't been tempted to binge since the cookie episode but am ready to put all the new tricks and tips into practice if the urge arises. I read all the health magazine and such to pick up ideas on way to stop a binging since it is a huge problem for me, but you guys had some new ones that I think could really help.