HELP!!!

Options
Hi guys, new MFP member here!

I need help or advice.

I suffer with M.E (sometimes called CFS) and severe Fibromyalgia.
Both of them impact on my life in different and serious ways. The M.E exhausts me to the point of near collapse (even just doing light household chores will send me to bed for hours afterwards) and the Fibromyalgia causes an extreme amount of pain. I now cannot walk without my stick and the support of my partner and although I have tried things like a static exercise bike, swimming, etc...the pain is too great to be able to continue them.

I have tried pretty much every diet going with the exception of things like Lighter Life (I'm lactose intolerant) and nothing is helping me shift the weight I need to lose.
I was given something called Reductil by my Dr and amazingly, it worked. I lost 10 lbs in just over a week and I was feeling hopeful and positive - until the Reductil got suspended and withdrawn. The 10 lbs I lost came back and brought another stone with them.

I cannot reduce my appetite. I have literally tried everything. I have been tested for diabetes, thyroid disorders, etc and I'm fine in that respect.
I have tried upping my fibre, taking supplements, everything I can think of to get my appetite to go away so I can at least have a chance at losing the massive amount I need to and nothing has worked, bar the Reductil that I now cannot have.

I'm getting married next year.
I don't want to be a fat bride. I want to be slim and I want to be able to walk to my fiancee and dance with him without needing my stick.

Please...Someone, help me?
:(

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I wish I knew some advice to give you. I have never suffered from these problems... but I have seen several people on this site who do, so I hope you are able to connect with them and get some help. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    How about water aerobics, I know you said swimming tires you out, but maybe if you start with just a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) and try to work your way up? Also because of the existing medical conditions I would talk to the doctors and see what they recommend.

Good Luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    How about water aerobics, I know you said swimming tires you out, but maybe if you start with just a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) and try to work your way up? Also because of the existing medical conditions I would talk to the doctors and see what they recommend.

Good Luck!!!:flowerforyou:

Grrrrr.....dang douple post.
  • cerealqueen
    Options
    Have you thought about doing the Lightening Process? It's not for everyone but a couple of my friends with CFS did it and are now cured! They were both in the position of not being able do any exercise, even reading was difficult sometimes let alone walking, yet both of them are now able to do proper exercise - not just walking but running etc.

Have a look...

http://www.lightningprocess.com/
  • deannasw
    deannasw Posts: 47
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your health issues. Have you tried water aerobics? Chewing gum in between meals? (that helps me, if I got the taste of mint, I do not crave anything else) Drinking tons of water? (I have been using MFP since March and it has helped me really stick to the large quantities of water....) I also take Green Tea tablets when I feel particularly hungry in the mid morning.

The calorie counting is the best thing that has worked for me out of all the years of dieting I have been through, and MFP has been the best tool for me. Best of luck to you.
  • taijade
    taijade Posts: 38
    Options
    Jenks - that was the first thing I tried and I was in so much pain that I was crying in the changing rooms. My hips had swollen to the point where I I couldnt walk - I just had to shuffle until the swelling went down.

cerealqueen - I'd actually looked into that, but between being on a stupidly low income and trying to save for my wedding I can't afford it. There is a practitioner in my area and I spoke to them on the phone about it; unfortunately at the moment they don't offer any kind of discount for people on low incomes.

Thank you both, I appreciate the replies :flowerforyou:

The Fibro and ME I've had for years and I know it's going to take a while to find something that helps with that. My main concern right now is my appetite. I cannot control it and I don't know what's going on.
    I get some days where I can eat constantly and not feel at all full. To be honest, I'm worrying about it - surely it's not right?

(eta - I have talked with my Dr about all of this and he just told me to stop eating carbs, fats and reduce my calories to under 1,000 per day....)
  • shoegirl1
    shoegirl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a GREAT exercise to do that should not bother joints. I particularly like Winsor Pilates - very effective, 20 minute videos. I am not well read on Fibromialga, but have heard great things about FAR infrared - some gyms have a sauna with that and I've heard there are great healing qualities as well as calories burned. I mention the gym because there are individual FAR infrared sauna you can have at home, but they are very pricey. Google it for your area and see what might be available. And, perhaps see what holistic medical opportunities are available in your area.
  • taijade
    Options
    Thank you, shoegirl, I'll look into that.

Anybody have any ideas about how on earth I go about reducing appetite as well?
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you, shoegirl, I'll look into that.

Anybody have any ideas about how on earth I go about reducing appetite as well?

Dear Voyage,
    * I feel for your pain & discomfort, believe me, I really do. Chronic illness is a challenge by the minute & I understand that so well.
    * You mention your doctor frequently in your posts & the orders for 1000 cal. intake , but I was wondering WHAT THIS SITE recommended for caloric intake when you set up MFP initially?
    * The truth is in the success you see here DAILY with folks EATING Their Exercise Calories!
    * Last ? Is your physician board certified in bariatrics? (weight loss). Just wondering as its a rare medical professional or licensed dietician that would recommend 1000 cal these days. No offense toward your physician.
    * Best wishes, strength & COURAGE!
    Deborah S
  • taijade
    Options
    Dear Voyage,
    * I feel for your pain & discomfort, believe me, I really do. Chronic illness is a challenge by the minute & I understand that so well.
    * You mention your doctor frequently in your posts & the orders for 1000 cal. intake , but I was wondering WHAT THIS SITE recommended for caloric intake when you set up MFP initially?
    * The truth is in the success you see here DAILY with folks EATING Their Exercise Calories!
    * Last ? Is your physician board certified in bariatrics? (weight loss). Just wondering as its a rare medical professional or licensed dietician that would recommend 1000 cal these days. No offense toward your physician.
    * Best wishes, strength & COURAGE!
    Deborah S

Hiya Deborah,

MFP recommends something like 1,380 a day; which I've now gone up to because (I mentioned in another thread I have here) what my Dr was telling me was leaving me drained, dizzy and very shaky.
    No, he's not certified in anything like that, he's just a general physician and has told me he doesn't know a lot about either of my conditions or about how I could lose weight; so I'm inclined to take advice from people that actually know what they're on about!

Thank you for taking time to reply; I really appreciate it.
    It's nice to know that there's so much support here (((hugs))) :flowerforyou: